Fluorescent Lights, good or bad???

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bstan943

Reaction score
I'm only growing one plant because this is my first time. I have one 75 watt fluorescent light that is about 18" long. Is this enough or do I need more? And how do I know how many lumens it emits?

Flos work great if you have enough lumens.

Each manufacturer of lights has a web site. Go to the website of the one that makes the bulb you have. Look at the specs on that exact bulb.

Take your time. Some of those sites are a little difficult to understand.

Or, post the manufacturer and all the info on the bulb and I'll look it up for you.

5,000 lumens PER/SQUARE FOOT of growing area is best.

3,000 will do.

Less than that and you'll have less than perfect results.

The "color" of the flos is important to the timing of your grow. Vegging needs a different spectrum of light than flowering does.

bstan943 said:
I'm only growing one plant because this is my first time. I have one 75 watt fluorescent light that is about 18" long. Is this enough or do I need more? And how do I know how many lumens it emits?

I really dont think that bulb alone will be enough. The CFL bulbs are cheap and work.

Hey Bstan i have grown twice useing cfls and have had really good turn out the first time i grew 2 plants and got about 1oz per plant and the second time i got 1 1\2 oz per plant one of them had 3\4 of and ounce just in the top cola so i would say try it and see what you get besides a little weed grown yourself is free weed and it is always great....so for your first grow just try it............

So what exactly are cfl bulbs? And how many watts and bulbs will I need for one maybe two plants?

The light is made by Lights of America. Its actually 24". Its called grow light model 7020 E GL. 75 watt output, uses 17 watts of energy.

I am on day 21 of flowering and I am using flours. i have 4 t12's. 12,000 lumens. it only cost about $30 at walmart.

my buds are looking nice. I will post pics later

yea. i have 4 of those plus 3 cfl bulbs. those are the right spectrum for vegging but only put out around 650-700 lumens. get 2 cfl bulbs that are around 6000k, if you go to walmart they will be the swirl type bulbs in the blue package. about 4 bucks a bulb, dont buy the ones in the green package there cheaper but there not good for veggeing

bstan943 said:
The light is made by Lights of America. Its actually 24". Its called grow light model 7020 E GL. 75 watt output, uses 17 watts of energy.

Does that bulb say F20T10/BLB on it?
But I believe its only about 1400 lumens, grow lights just dont work well.

hey bstan i used all cfls they are a compact florescent light just like the tubes but smaller the little spiral lights are what you are looking for ... i had 7 26 watt cfls a mixer of soft white and daylight and one 42 watt soft white cfl a total of about 14,000 lumens is 2 sqft box with no reflective material just a wood stained box and got about 2 to 2 1\2 oz off of two plants.... i would take a trip to wally world with about 50 bucks to start and buy as many cfls and sockets that you can ......shoot for about 14,000 thousand lumens... also the lumens are noted on the front of the package they come in some say light output... hope this helps let me know how it goes.........

Growdude said:
Does that bulb say F20T10/BLB on it?
But I believe its only about 1400 lumens, grow lights just dont work well.

Good find Growdude. It's a Wattage:20 Color:2700 K Grow light

It's actually 20 watts and says it's the equivelant of 75 watts incandescent.

bstan943, what you have there is a light that's good for tiny little seedlings.

If you're going to grow weed, you'll need to study a lot more about what you're doing and get much better lighting.

To start a grow now with the amount of knowledge you have will doom you to problems and more than likely failure.

Please, before you start growing, read a LOT of posts here in the indoor area of the forum and also a bunch of Journals.

Growing weed isn't free or easy. There is a lot of stuff you need to learn.

I would also suggest a trip to a good book store and buy with cash, a grow book. Barnes and Noble have lots of them in stock.

Good luck man.

If your serious about growing, just spend the money on an HPS set up, its by far the best way to go. It pays for itself in ONE grow. Plus you get 55,000 lumens. And throw in 2 or 3 more plants, that way your way more likely to get a female.

Latest posts

Back