Fresh air

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokewun

Pothead
Reaction score
Now that its getting cold, I'm wanting to draw fresh, cool air from outside. My question, what type of filter should i buy or make?

Smokewun said:
Now that its getting cold, I'm wanting to draw fresh, cool air from outside. My question, what type of filter should i buy or make?

Filter for the intake? You mean to keep bugs out?

I guess. Is that the only thing i have to worry about? Bugs?

Yes. And there aren't many bugs when the weather is cold. I put a chunk of old screen on the outside end of my vent pipe.

Smokewun said:
I guess. Is that the only thing i have to worry about? Bugs?

I ask because you don't need a filter for drawing air in from outside. A filter would go on your exhaust from your grow space. I don't run a filter because I vent directly outside and the negative pressure in the tent keeps all outdoors at non existent.

Thanks guys! So i don't need to clean the air before its introduced to my garden?

Smokewun said:
Thanks guys! So i don't need to clean the air before its introduced to my garden?

Just to keep pests out depending on where you are drawing your air from and time of year. Like OSG said, not many bugs come Winter time in my kneck of the woods.

i cover my 2 intakes with the white prefilter used on carbon filters, keeps bugs out. my intakes also have dampers that close when the fans are not pulling air

Having a simple filter over your intake will also keep the dust and small debris from building up in your tubes or hoods, but the screen has to checked and cleaned regular so that you don't lose good air flow :)

Use a fine metal mesh or nylon if only available for an intake (screen from hardware store); must clean once a month to ensure good flow and no clogage. Exhaust must be filtered with carbon scrubber system to "ododless" the exhaust. Not nessessary if there are no neighbors and or not roof venting. It is always a good idea to run ALL exhaust up thru the chimeny and out the roof top to be discreet and air at 15-25' above ground level is generally uptaken into the atmosphere eliminating any smells at all from the mailman, drifty neighbor, or snooping wonderers possible mowing the lawn or a city worker doing an unexpected "mainenence" call or electrical wiring job. You never know what will plop onto the property. Venting out the roof is almost a sure bet for safety via smells. DO IT or risk losing the whole operation.

Here is my take on bringing straight fresh cold air into your grow room and what you really need to know. first off as for screening / filters you can use furnace filter material but running fresh air in specially in cold climates is DEW POINT in your room cold air hitting warm air is like a perfect storm the hot mixes with cold creating air that holds lots of water molecules thus humidity, wet floors ,and walls sweating, this is not a good thing trust me MOLD is a 100 percent guarntee behind your panda film and then your into another whole world of hurt and possible health issues .
Fresh air is very important of course but how you get it ready to enter room
you need to make a hot box so really you need to make a box outside where fresh air will go into a thermostatically controlled heater to allow the cold air to heat up this way your dew point can stay low when both fresh air and room temps collide

All good reasons why i just draw the air from inside my house into my room and exhaust it outside.

All I have to do is vary the degree to which I open a window in my spare room that houses my tents. We have been in a deep freeze here and I have not had to open it at all lately. As spring approaches I have to open the window more and more during lights on. Just another reason I love growing in tents. I also vent my exhaust outside.

I always draw air from inside my House that is climate controlled.

Latest posts

Back