General Organics vs General Hydroponics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Leonardo De Garden

Reaction score
I set up two waterfarms, one with a General Organic "GO Box", and one using General Hydroponics Flora-grow/bloom/micro. Plants are a pair of clones from the same mother.

This is at 4 wks growth, 1 wk flower. The GH Flora clone is about 7" taller, and has a better developed root system.

To be fair, chemicals have the advantage in growth, I'm curious to see by how much, and I'm even more curious to know if at harvest, the buds show a difference in flavor or quality.

GHGO2sm.JPG

GHsm.JPG

GOsm.JPG

I did not have good luck at all using GO products in hydro. I ended up giving them to a friend that used them with soil.

IMO the problem with organics in hydro is their is no microbes to digest the nutrients into a usable form for the plants to use.

I used those GO nutrients in soil for a bit....they were not nearly strong enough and stunk to high helll. jmo

Hamster Lewis said:
I used those GO nutrients in soil for a bit....they were not nearly strong enough and stunk to high helll. jmo

I'll grant you that the cold pressed squid is on the stinky side, but for the rest I've smelled a lot worse from other organic nutrients. As to the microbial life, I have every reason to believe that they are live and doing well. The Waterfarm isn't much different than a compost tea brewer, and at this point, the plant should be showing signs of deficiencies if it wasn't taking up the nutrients properly. The organic plant looks healthy enough, just smaller.

from what I read with GO yo really need to press the dosage to get decent garden. I used their cal/mg and did not care for it, like bonticare better

Leonardo De Garden said:
I'll grant you that the cold pressed squid is on the stinky side, but for the rest I've smelled a lot worse from other organic nutrients. As to the microbial life, I have every reason to believe that they are live and doing well. The Waterfarm isn't much different than a compost tea brewer, and at this point, the plant should be showing signs of deficiencies if it wasn't taking up the nutrients properly. The organic plant looks healthy enough, just smaller.

Yeah I believe that was the one that stunk the worse. See I am a Chem fert guy so I acknowledge that I am a pusssy when it comes to the odor of nutrients.:)

Come on Hammey... You don't like the smell of a bucket of brewing chicken poo first thing in the morning to go with a good cup of coffee? :hubba:

:confused2: what Smell? I sleep with a brewer going at the foot of my bed:huh:

I am getting a little confused. I am ready to start my first DWC, Its a bubbleboy. I bought an AK47 auto seed, I only have 3 months before heading south.
What do you all recommend for nutrient solution?
Also may have access to a clone ( will I have time to grow her?) I thought I read that clones will grow a lot faster/ I Do not know the strain yet.

Im using General Hydroponics Flora series nutrients ("GH 3-part") in soil right now, Granpa . . . there's 3 different bottles, green ("grow"), light pink ("bloom"), and dark purple ("micronutrients"). Ya start out giving em more grow, less of the other two (so they grow more), then when they start to flower you change the mix and give em more bloom & micro and less grow (so they bloom more . . . easy, right?). The micronutrient part is very important too, you always mix it into your water first.

There's other lines with similar chemical mixtures that are made with mj in mind . . . Fox Farms, Technoflora, etc etc several brands are commonly used with success by alot of great growers in here . . . organic growers don't use the GH 3-part cuz its chemically derived and wipes out the soil organisms that they depend on to feed the plants, but your in DWC and imo for the first time grower, it's the best, easiest, cheapest solution for the nute solution . . . the best evidence is that so many seasoned growers stay with it . . .

A quart of each is plenty to start out with, it will last all the way through the end of your first grow if you have only 2 or 3 plants . . . I also bought a plastic 100-milliliter syringe for measuring the amounts, but if there's a cook in the kitchen with a nice set of measuring spoons, you can be quite accurate because a tablespoon is 15 ml, and a teaspoon is 5 ml . . . I paid $12 for shipping, 4 bucks for the syringe, and it only came to around $45

The best part is . . . there's tons of threads in this forum discussing use of different nute solutions, and the GH 3-part nutrients in particular, so you will find many opinions on how to tweak the recipe of the juice to wind up with the fattest buds !! :joint:

SMOKINGRANPA said:
I am getting a little confused. I am ready to start my first DWC, Its a bubbleboy. I bought an AK47 auto seed, I only have 3 months before heading south.
What do you all recommend for nutrient solution?
Also may have access to a clone ( will I have time to grow her?) I thought I read that clones will grow a lot faster/ I Do not know the strain yet.

Many use the GH Flora series that Dan mentioned. There is a feeding chart to give you correct amounts of each of the different bottles for the different stages of growth. When starting out you will give about 1/4 of the recommended amounts and work up to full nute concentrations as the plant gets older. I liked to change out my res every 7-10 days. You are going to need a pH METER (strips, drops, are not accurate enough), calibration fluids, and pH up and/or down. I never used pH up--most of us need to get the pH down. Are you familiar with hydro?

You will have trouble growing an auto along with a photoperiod plant. The auto is going to need 20-24 hours of light a day, the photoperiod is going to need 12 to flower and you only have 3 months. If it were me and I did get a photoperiod clone or two, I would ditch the auto, let the clone(s) veg for a couple of weeks and then put into 12/12. You will most likely end up with more/better bud.

I have a bad habit of buying first and asking latter, so I posted this this am and then I was out and I stopped at a HTGsupply and bought a small bottle of dyna grow(1 grow 1flora)
I have the GH PH test kit and my bubble boy ready to go.
Like I said earlier, I bought 2 AK47 autos to just see if I could do this.
I only have a short time before I leave so auto sounded okay.
I guess I will start 2 new treads 1 for a grow and I am thinking of posting about my 3 unknown seed plants in soil. I would call it "what not to do:eek:", and an opportunity for some of you masters to get a chuckle out of my endeavors.
So thanks THG & Dan for your advice, I am a little short on cash and will wing the first auto with the test kit, then next spring get real serious.

It's 1PM and I'm off to the back yard with a full bowl to watch my tomatoes grow.

The chemicals still show a lead over the organic. The overall plant size of the GH plant is larger, but the GO plant is slightly bushier.

Moved to natural (albeit semi-crappy) lighting. Pretty sure that was an error on my part not hardening them quite gently enough, so lost a few days there. They didn't drop many leaves, but seemed to stall while they adjusted.

Both plants were late starting to show gender, this is at 3 wks of flower. The variety is not a fast bloomer, and the lighting is what I have available.

smGHvsGOwk3flwr.JPG

smGHwk3flr.JPG

smGOvsGHwk3flwr2.JPG

smGOwk3flr1 .JPG

Be careful to not change the variable too much or that can skew the results of the test. You need to keep everything but the nutes as near the same as possible. Even in moving them to better lighting can have an unleveled consequence of affecting one plant more than the other.

Hushpuppy said:
Be careful to not change the variable too much or that can skew the results of the test. You need to keep everything but the nutes as near the same as possible. Even in moving them to better lighting can have an unleveled consequence of affecting one plant more than the other.

Good point Hushpuppy, I'll keep that in mind.

2 plants really doesnt mean much. You could have that much difference between plants.
Tests like this dont prove much without a control group.

They look good though :) Looks like the organic is a bit more bushy

Latest posts

Back