General Organics vs General Hydroponics

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hushpuppy said:
They look good though :) Looks like the organic is a bit more bushy

It is, and has about the same number of flowering tips, but is more bushy and has denser foliage than the chemical one, which takes up more space, but is more spread out.

Thanks Leonardo for this interesting thread. I picked up the GO thrive grow and used it twice now and was pleased so while i was in town on friday I found the GO sample box for a great price that had 8 different bottles. I figured for the price it was worth giving a try and I dont find the odors that bad compared to others.

I started as a hydro grower with the advanced nutes A+B line with good results but decided in the last year to switch to full organics in soil. ITs been a great learning experience and couldnt be happier and I am hoping this GO line of products will give me the extra little boost ive been looking for.

I hope ya keep this thread going, I havent started using the sample box yet but I have my lights flipping tonight so Ill post a pic soon.
Decided to do a run of Beanhos Super Silver Haze #3 x Purple Citral Kush
The SSH is supposed to be a indica bubblegum pheno.

KBM said:
Thanks Leonardo for this interesting thread. I picked up the GO thrive grow and used it twice now and was pleased so while i was in town on friday I found the GO sample box for a great price that had 8 different bottles. I figured for the price it was worth giving a try and I dont find the odors that bad compared to others.

I started as a hydro grower with the advanced nutes A+B line with good results but decided in the last year to switch to full organics in soil. ITs been a great learning experience and couldnt be happier and I am hoping this GO line of products will give me the extra little boost ive been looking for.

I hope ya keep this thread going, I havent started using the sample box yet but I have my lights flipping tonight so Ill post a pic soon.
Decided to do a run of Beanhos Super Silver Haze #3 x Purple Citral Kush
The SSH is supposed to be a indica bubblegum pheno.

So, just out of curiosity, how is the switch going? I also went from hydro (using GH nutes) to organic using supersoil. I have seen quite a large drop in yield. I don't know if it is just me being a newbie to organics or if organic is just not going to produce as much as hydro?

I was wondering the same thing! I have the 3 plants in organic that I have been working hard to keep them as happy as possible. They are about 10-14days away from harvest and the buds are no bigger or any more plentiful than the (same strain)plants that are sitting right next to them that are hydro, and THEY are only 5weeks into flower. The girls in the next tent are not quite 4 weeks in and the buds are already as big as the biggerst buds on the 2 organic girls. I am going back to all hydro as everyone of my peeps that purchase my buds just rave over them and cry when I run out. :)

Your right hemp goddess, the first grow after the switch i was alil let down with the yeild. I didnt have that explosive growth in veg and as much weight from the harvest but Ive been getting bigger yeilds now, ive been vegging them longer and topping and tying down.

The main reason I switched besides wanting organic medicine is were I live in the great white north we have lots of power outages and i travel back south for 2 to 3 days at a time atleast twice per flower cycle. The soil is very forgiving and I dont have to worry as much when im gone.

so far im really happy with the GO line, easy to use and not too much of a smell.

A pic of my two favs, one more indica, one more sativa. no two plants are similar to each other out of this grow.

1.png

KBM said:
.... and i travel back south for 2 to 3 days at a time atleast twice per flower cycle. The soil is very forgiving and I dont have to worry as much when im gone.

Actually, I have found the opposite to be true. I cannot leave my soil plants for more than a couple of days. However, my hydro plants could easily go 5-7 days without me.

The Hemp Goddess said:
Actually, I have found the opposite to be true. I cannot leave my soil plants for more than a couple of days. However, my hydro plants could easily go 5-7 days without me.
last month I had my honeymoon I forgot my mother plants, left them at least 13days in growrock and traveled, I came back opening my growroom not even with a shred of hope and I find the alive! not in their best shape but they recovered beautifully now. they are in growrocks that were handwatered under fluros and it was still summer

With being gone for a few days if i was doing hydro the main concern im worried about is the air pumps going off with power outages. Im thing about making my own hydro 6 pack, recirculating dwc.

I keep considering a recirc system, but my plants always seem to end up different sizes. Hard to have a recirculating system when you have to raise and lower your plants. And it would kind of limit me to a single strain or at least strains that have the same nute requirements. It does get a little time consuming dealing with a bunch of individual DWC buckets, though.

I have a friend who lives close by who is in charge of starting my generator in the event I am gone and we have an extended power outage. I have found though that my plants can go hours without air and still be okay. I hate starting up the generator unless the power is going to be out for a while.

I dislike the rcdwc just for the reasons THG has mentioned. I have found that when I went with RO water, the work was cut in more then half as most the work of pH'ing was eliminated.

I have lost power during a grow(9hours) before starting the generator for my pumps, with no problems.

Thanks PC and Hempgoddess, the lack of air was my biggest concern during a power outage. Ive done DWC before and loved the results, i was thinking about a 6 bucket recirculating system todo a run of the same strain, you both have some good points i need to consider about plant height and different strains.

Another potential problem thats been on my mind is the res temps, my room gets realllll cold in the winter so im sure the res temps would be could. With a recirculating system I could use a heater for the res but what would i do with individual DWC

KBM said:
Thanks PC and Hempgoddess, the lack of air was my biggest concern during a power outage. Ive done DWC before and loved the results, i was thinking about a 6 bucket recirculating system todo a run of the same strain, you both have some good points i need to consider about plant height and different strains.

Another potential problem thats been on my mind is the res temps, my room gets realllll cold in the winter so im sure the res temps would be could. With a recirculating system I could use a heater for the res but what would i do with individual DWC

If it is going to be too cold for the res, it is going to be too cold for the plants and you will need heater regardless.

Ozzy-
IMO the problem with organics in hydro is their is no microbes to digest the nutrients into a usable form for the plants to use.

What about adding compost tea to the res. on a regular basis. Would that help breakdown organics in hydro? I know I've been using a compost tea with GH Flora in my res for about a year to control slime issues, and it keeps res walls/pumps, airstone, etc. clean as a whistle. Haven't used H2o2 or bleach in res at all during this time.

Just a thought, I've been thinking of doing a full organic hydro grow using this theory but haven't got around to it yet.

Think it might work?

with a heater I manage to keep the temps between 68-70 in winter, which isnt bad consider it gets to -40 thru the winter. I think im gonna stick with soil for a while but I do miss hydro.

Leo do you have any updates on your comparison grow?

Update:

General Organics 8 weeks into flowering

General Hydroponics Flora 8 weeks into flowering

smGO4wkv9wkfl.JPG

smGH4wkv9wkfl.JPG

Looks like Chem nute buds are slightly bigger. Thanks for the update.

Latest posts

Back