Going to set up first grow...Help!!!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I ran/still running 7 years on a Vortex with speed controller, cheap China knock off 14 months.

On that note I have just ordered a Vortex 6" Powerfan VTX600 449CFM Will run with speed controller. Now time to shop for Light OPTION OVERLOAD want to run 600w MH veg HPS to flower Digital dimmable, switchable ballast Any feedback on brands ECT??

Oh also want to run the ballast on 220v

I run Nano Extreme's they are adjustable and can run mH but never felt the need. Very happy with them.:aok:

Yes the Extreme nano is a very nice ballast. I just run a $100 china ballast but if I was to spend $ I'd go nano extreme.

Was looking around found Nanolux nn600d know if it is the same as Extreme Nano?

Extreme was discontinued. That is the newer version.

AH! Thank you looks like just what I am looking for Pick up a hood for the size of room and i am on my way.... To do some more shopping and installs Lovin' It :yay:
By the way you think the 600 is over kill for a 3x4 room? I can always turn it down...

AH! Thank you looks like just what I am looking for Pick up a hood for the size of room and i am on my way.... To do some more shopping and installs Lovin' It :yay:
By the way you think the 600 is over kill for a 3x4 room? I can always turn it down...

no way is 600 over kill---i would never buy or trade anything for less than a 1k

I run two 600's in a 4x4

O.K. I only have an area to use that is 3' x 5' x 9' ceiling . thinking of doing walls with sheet insulation with shiny back? How much light would i need? can one go from start to finish with t5s? Have lots of learning to do here...

I regret buying my T5 fixture. They are too hot. I have to remove 3 of the 4 tubes to have them on top of sprouts and they'll only barely get you through veg, not suitable to flower.

===== note: I wasn't cooling the fixture itself and worried too much about stretching... it's a balmy 24 about a foot away with all 4 tubes and cooled by a dedicated fan now.

Panda paper is ideal. You get reflection and a nicely sealed room. This IS critical for odor control. Keep in mind WHERE you exhaust. More air out than in, replace room air every 5 - 8 minutes (thanks, THG) and 60RH

Growing is a conundrum of contradictions and it would frankly drive you stark raving mad if it wasn't so much fun. I read and I read and I read and I still have trouble and/or disasters. Good luck!

Last edited:
So got the vent almost installed. Putting in an order for lighting with 1000 bulbs for Nonolux NN600D Ballast - 6" vented hood Hangers Ect.. Just wondering on Bulbs How many lummes will I be needing? for my 4'x3' space??

So got the vent almost installed. Putting in an order for lighting with 1000 bulbs for Nonolux NN600D Ballast - 6" vented hood Hangers Ect.. Just wondering on Bulbs How many lummes will I be needing? for my 4'x3' space??

4 x 3---i would go with a 1k hortilux hps bulb, 8" air cooled hood, digi, or old school inexpensive harvest pro ballast

I regret buying my T5 fixture. They are too hot. I have to remove 3 of the 4 tubes to have them on top of sprouts and they'll only barely get you through veg, not suitable to flower.

Panda paper is ideal. You get reflection and a nicely sealed room. This IS critical for odor control. Keep in mind WHERE you exhaust. More air out than in, replace room air every 5 - 8 minutes (thanks, THG) and 60RH

Growing is a conundrum of contradictions and it would frankly drive you stark raving mad if it wasn't so much fun. I read and I read and I read and I still have trouble and/or disasters. Good luck!

Sopappy, would you start a new thread all your own so that we can address this? If you are not able to keep a T5 cool enough, you are not going to be able to grow. We just need to get you set up with a real exhaust system. Like I told you earlier, an oscillating fan is not enough. Proper ventilation is almost as important as your lighting and it has to be done right. Without an exhaust fan you are NOT recycling the air, you are simply moving the same old hot stale air around. I will watch for your thread and chime in there as soon as possible.

And you must have misunderstood the air exchange. Once every 8-10 minutes is not enough. I exchange my air about 3 times a minute. I would recommend never going below once every 3-4 minutes.

I see your side.

We come @ this from opposite sides THG, I've never run HPS and (I believe) you have never run LED.

mrcane, (winter?) low temps are in the "mid 40's" ---> how about your summer highs?? (if the garage isn't heated, I doubt it's cooled)
lets see if there are issues on the hot side that might point us (you) in one direction or the other.

also, I would be interested to know the level of Stealth you are thinking of.
as "a medical user and just want to grow my own" the legal issue is a non factor but that's not necessarily the only reason you (may) want stealth.
:48:

Legal or not, I'd suggest a high level of stealth. I'm legal and stealth is still #1. There are two-legged pests too eh?

Have ventilation installed and parts are coming in.Where would you say is best place to mount the ballast?? Above light? 600watt Nanolux nn600d it is air cooled two tiny fans. can these ballast be mounted directly against dry wall?

you can place the ballast outside the room, this way you will have less heat release inside

Humm!! Options worry about more dust & less stealth with it mounted out side room??

you can mount it on the wall if need be---you don't want to use extension cords to get it into another room---be sure its on a stud and has fire retardant backing---keep it off the floor in case of flooding

Latest posts

Back