Good idea for planting seeds?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

redeye88

Reaction score
Ive been hearing fox farm ocean forest is no good for planting germinated seeds into since it might fry the roots before it even sprouts...

-- Im about to plant in small 1.5 liter containers, is it a good idea to maybe mix 50% FFOF and like 50% regular topping soil? mix it real good and have the seeds planted into the mixture..

...what do u guys think?

I dont know. I just use roots organics. works fine and dandy.

roots is the name of the soil. it is organic. here it is sold right next to fox farms..hope that helps. you just want soil without nutes especially time release and crap like that.

I use Miracle Grow seed starting mix.... 51UcPR0GmpL._SS500_.jpg

HI,

You are correct! FFOF can be a bit on the 'hot' side for seedlings of some strains. It doesn't fry the roots but it can cause a bit of slight leaf burn if used straight with sensitive strains. I've seen a lot of people post 'FFOF has never burned my seedlings' but I also see many that have had slight burn and I'm one of them. If the 'topping soil' is mostly peat moss, perlite, etc it would probably work fine to cut the strength of the FFOF. What I always use for seedlings is a 50/50 mix of FFOF and Foxfarm Light Warrior soiless grow medium. Using LW will cut the strength of the FFOF and it also gives the root zone mychorrizae for explosive root growth. The LW helps to create a very light, airy mix that seeds love too...

Happy Growing!:cool:

dirtyolsouth said:
HI,

You are correct! FFOF can be a bit on the 'hot' side for seedlings of some strains. It doesn't fry the roots but it can cause a bit of slight leaf burn if used straight with sensitive strains. I've seen a lot of people post 'FFOF has never burned my seedlings' but I also see many that have had slight burn and I'm one of them. If the 'topping soil' is mostly peat moss, perlite, etc it would probably work fine to cut the strength of the FFOF. What I always use for seedlings is a 50/50 mix of FFOF and Foxfarm Light Warrior soiless grow medium. Using LW will cut the strength of the FFOF and it also gives the root zone mychorrizae for explosive root growth. The LW helps to create a very light, airy mix that seeds love too...

Happy Growing!:cool:

How about just about 50% perlite?
I have'nt had seedlings burnt from FFOF, but I suppose it could happen.
TIA,
Gb
:)

Ive definitely seen a bunch of posts that say they have had burn with FFOF. Ive never used it myself cause its too expensive for me.

Latest posts

Back