Got Caught By Police. PLEASE HELP!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

call_of_ktulu

Reaction score
Hey everyone,

So this is what happened:

I was in a car with some friends and I was rolling a blunt. The car was parked and I was one of the passengers. The cops pulled up behind us, searched the car and, of course, found the weed. I only had like 3-4 grams and admitted that it was my weed (I wasn't gonna let my friend take the hit for my bud.) The cop gave a citation to show up in court for a misdemeanor. I live in California and from what I researched it looks like they can only give me a fine of $100. Does anyone know anything else about the matter? Will that **** stay on my record and prevent me from getting a job? Does it come up in background searches that employers do?

Has anyone been through this who can give me some advice?

Thanks a lot everyone!

NOTHING EVER GETS CLEARED.......Im 18 right now and I still have all of my charges from when I was 14, But bro dont worry your not in big trouble you might have to go to court once or twice but like akirahz said it`s only a misdemeanor. DONT WORRY:rofl:
Dro:cool2:

Worry about it. It stays with you forever. Get an attorney and fight the hell out of it. If my state told me it was a misdemeanor for having a few grams I would go nuts. Misdemeanors can prevent you from getting a job. So, spend $500-$1000 on a lawyer and get the charge dropped. Hell, you live in California.

DLtoker said:
Misdemeanors can prevent you from getting a job.

I thought only felonies could prevent you from getting jobs?

Growdude said:
I thought only felonies could prevent you from getting jobs?

Some jobs yes. Not all. Still getting a lawyer and finding a way for it not to be on your record is worth it.

It's probably not something you'd worry about in 15 or 20 years but a lot of employers would look down on even a misdemeanor drug charge. It won't stop you from getting a job at McD's or Wal Mart but it might stop you from getting a job at Microsoft or IBM. But, the more time passes the less relevant the charge becomes. Not sure about your age but a charge like that could keep you out of some colleges if you're looking at that soon.

call_of_ktulu said:
Hey everyone,

So this is what happened:

I was in a car with some friends and I was rolling a blunt. The car was parked and I was one of the passengers. The cops pulled up behind us, searched the car and, of course, found the weed. I only had like 3-4 grams and admitted that it was my weed (I wasn't gonna let my friend take the hit for my bud.) The cop gave a citation to show up in court for a misdemeanor. I live in California and from what I researched it looks like they can only give me a fine of $100. Does anyone know anything else about the matter? Will that **** stay on my record and prevent me from getting a job? Does it come up in background searches that employers do?

Has anyone been through this who can give me some advice?

Thanks a lot everyone!

Don't worry about it it JUST a 300 dollor fine!!
I have a friend that Just gotten his fine for 300 bucks and his 2 time getting busted on a 1/4 ounce !!!
Yes it stays on ur record for life once ur over 18 yr and yes it will be on a background check..
All I can say is this about the jobs, when asked about ur crimal past then don't lie and don't make Yes or No on the APPl. and always talk with the mang. or boss about that answer it always help to speak freely when it comes to a past crimainl record.. I have always done that and it Helped Me and I helped others over that.. Plus it depends on the JOB Tooooo. But you still CAN Become a Prisdent of USA with this on ur rap..
Look at Clinton! He use to run drugs and Guns in the past but was silance partner!! There was abig artical in High Time over Bill Clinton and if I really Look in My (Lost & Found Shed) I have that Magazine..

Don't forget the Mayor of New York, He has smoked in the Past.

Always watch your surrounding when Parked anyway..

I think getting a lawyer is a little to extreme for a case like this. When I got charged with possetion, The first time I showed up to court for this charge they told me to come back the next date that they set, When I came back they read some ** and told me I can go!!! And that was it!!!
But agian I dont live in cali so I wont know how they deal with cases like that.
Just talk to a lawyer, Some lawyers give free advice.

I like that,
You took the hit, and didn't let anyone cook for your stash. First allow me to tell you that I think that kinda action is what seperates the men from the boys. I've seen lots of times where it turned into a monkey on a football cause someone stuffed their stash under a seat and then stood there to watch everyone else take the heat too. You did well in my books !!!!
This is what you can expect:
1. The amount is small, = misdemeaner
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif] Decriminalization: The state has decriminalized marijuana to some degree. Typically, decriminalization means no prison time or criminal record for first-time possession of a small amount for personal consumption. The conduct is treated like a minor traffic violation.

For those who already got an adult record started:
1. You can have your juvenile record sealed upon turning 21 if you have stayed out of trouble for 3 years.
As an adult you can apply to have your record expunged if you have stayed out of trouble for 3 years also.
An expungment will normally cost around $30.00 per charge you wish to erase, BUT always remember that there will be a copy of your evil doings that is always held by the FBI.
This sorta stuff should not scare you, BUT it should serve as a means to convince you to be aware of your surroundings and your own safety.
You can still hold even government positions, with a small possesions charge and conviction, but I don't think you will see that. I think your gonna get the ol' handslap, and find yourself in the long run treated like you just pulled a speeding ticket.
Good Luck friend, it's not the end of the world, next time roll a hoober or two ahead of time and be johnny on the spot ready to snarf them if you see a bust situation developing. Keep them in a top pocket for fast easy access, and always remember let an attorney do the talking for you. Your job is to remain silent.
smoke in peace
KingKahuuna
[/FONT]

My EX had his record expunged and sealed and when he got a job as a foot ball coach, they found out about a sealed record and prevented him from getting paid... I don't know about other jobs.

Ok, If you live in the US and are 18 + of age, WHY wouldnt you want to keep your record clean, i made the same mistake at 18 years old and REGRET IT everytime i want a good job and they request a background check....
If your record is clean KEEP IT CLEAN misdeameanor or not a clean record is priceless as you progress in life man!! fight it out with a lawyer if u can afford 1, if not dont even bother trying to fight it with a public defender.. Good Luck

KingKahuuna said:
[FONT=Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]

An expungment will normally cost around $30.00 per charge you wish to erase, BUT always remember that there will be a copy of your evil doings that is always held by the FBI.
[/FONT]

where did you find this information? sounds a lot cheaper than what a lawyer wanted to charge me!!..

no way does it stay forever......i had alot of stuff on my record before i was 18....it got cleared for sure...i mean you can see what i did....but they cant use it against you.
My uncle is a cop, i had him look everything up on me...its there....but it doesnt come up for just a basic background check.
so if your under 18....you can get a job and be fine when your over 18.

Juvenile records in the US are only visible to Federal agencies and have to be requested by local agencies in order to view, which really says yes is there, we wont give it to you unless you ask type of policy..
so any public request for your criminal record will not show your juvenile part.

Dr.Dro said:
NOTHING EVER GETS CLEARED.......Im 18 right now and I still have all of my charges from when I was 14, But bro dont worry your not in big trouble you might have to go to court once or twice but like akirahz said it`s only a misdemeanor. DONT WORRY:rofl:
Must depend on where you live, I know a couple people who said there record was clear when they turned 18.

DLtoker said:
Worry about it. It stays with you forever. Get an attorney and fight the hell out of it. If my state told me it was a misdemeanor for having a few grams I would go nuts. Misdemeanors can prevent you from getting a job. So, spend $500-$1000 on a lawyer and get the charge dropped. Hell, you live in California.
wow buddy whats your attorney going to do, he had pot. pot is illegal. I got pulled over with 2.0 hash and 1.75 buds and roor bong. I got my medical card 2 days later but still pleded guilty to dui for them to drop a felony concentraed cannibis charge to a misdemeanors if i did so. My lawyer said that way lucky since I didnt have a card when I got pulled over. No red eyes, no smell, bong behind my seat and empty. This happend on the way to school 830 am. now i lost my license and pay $1721, $600 class. fun times, wish i was high at least waiting in the tank to sober up. your lucky it wasnt after you smoked that blunt. :D

YoHo FirePower,
That is roughly what the court charges per expungment. I'm sure the attorney will charge you even more, and there maybe some other related charges to boot.

To clear some questions:

Let's pretend that you were a normal kid and paid little attention to crosswalk lines, got caught out after curfew, made off with a couple beers to wind up on. Maybe even broke into Mr. Smith's garage, and don't forget maybe even a joyride.
So you have developed a record and even got nailed with 2 yrs probation for throwing a rock at some fool, and it actually nailed him perfectly.
At 18 yrs old you now start working on the thought that you have a great opportunity to keep your adult record clean. You think that it would be nice to make some of that juvenile stuff go away, come on it's embarrassing.
So to get that juvenile record sealed. You will have to show 3 yrs of keeping it right and in no trouble during that time. The soonest that you can begin this 3 yrs is as soon as you turn 18 yrs old. Typically the court sees folks at the age of 21 getting this done.
Once your records are sealed, it takes a federal court order to open them and then only in your own defence. Some local info on you as a juvenile is bound to be found within the system, but that would just be locally, and even that will eventually go away.
Everyone knows that sooner or later they are going to have to come up with a way to keep even tighter tabs on all of us. Sheeeeesh

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna

FOR THE RECORD...

your records are NEVER cleared, no matter where you live.

Tickets, misdemeanors, felonies, etc. are ALWAYS on file. When they say "off record" it means that they can not USE that against you after you've turned 18 depending on the crime BUT it DOES still show up! Any background check will pull up previous citations, etc., but can not "legally" be used if they are categorized under

Since the mid-1990s, nearly every state has amended its juvenile criminal statutes. Most have made changes that loosen or eliminate restrictions on disclosure of information about juvenile defendants. For instance:

Most states currently have statutes requiring that when a juvenile is arrested or enters into the juvenile or adult criminal justice system, the juvenile's school is notified. In some states, that notification triggers automatic transfer to an alternative school.

Several states specifically allow disclosure of the juvenile's name and address to the victim.

Most states now conduct many juvenile proceedings in open court

Several states allow members of the media access to certain juvenile court records.

Several states allow public release of juvenile court records with no restrictions.

Just as juveniles are now subject to much more serious criminal penalties than are historically associated with the juvenile justice system, there are greater risks in terms of damage to reputation, future employment prospects, and even education. A criminal defense attorneycan explain which of these policies is in force in a particular jurisdiction, and what risks a juvenile accused of delinquency or charged with a crime might face.

Latest posts

Back