grass smell

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tryguy2011

Reaction score
currently growing 818 headband(sour og) harvested 1plant at 9 weeks. While growing it did not have much of a smell. (started from 1 feminized seed)
It is dry now but still smells like grass a little and not much like anything else. It looks good and is pretty trichy and works well tastes smooth, but smells like grass. WILL THIS GO AWAY?

how long has it been curing? a good proper cure is at LEAST 2 weeks long and slower drying over more time makes better herb... what exactualy have you done as part of your cure?

Yup everythin get better with time pilgrem and the longer ya wait and the proper the cure make for the better smoke good luck yur trails walkin pilgrem wish ya well ;)

BWD

Day 1 trimmed all leaves from bud, and bud from stem then put in box top. About 3 days later i put in jar then pulled out of jar toggling backand forth from box top to jar untill bud is uniformally dry. It is saturday now I think I pulled bud on tuesday.

first off it more advantagious to slow dry your bud, for smoother smoke and proper curing. its ok to pre trim leaf, but i always leave it on the stem while hanging to slow the drying process. this happens because the stem holds moisture and slowly wicks it into the buds thus slowing the drying process. the goal is to try and stretch it out at least one if not two weeks before you cure in the jars, then and only then, I remove the stems before putting in the jars, then let cure for two weeks minimum, burping the jars by removing lid and letting moisture out and new air in. I do this twice a day the first week, then once a day the second week. any further cure will make it that much better and is solely up to the grower. Some cure for up to 6 months. hope this helps!

Yeah what Brix said; You dried yours too fast and locked in the chlorophyll before it could break down. I built a cabinet that I put all my bud in to maintain a controlled atmosphere. I precut and trim all my bud and I have window screents that fit perfectly in my cabinet. I lay all my bud on my screens and set them in the cab for a week. I have an exaust fan that comes on periodically to vent the moist air fom the cab. They stay in complete darkness and aren't disturbed for at least 3 days. This allows the bigger part of the moisture to wick out of them.

I then take them out after 7 days(or when they feel somewhat crispy on the outside) and I jar them up and leave in dark for 48hrs, then begin burping the jars daily by opening and waving them around a bit to give them some fresh air. I usually don't get more than a week of curing before my peeps start jumping up n down for it. But when I set aside some for myself, I don't dry it as much before jarring it up and then I burp it for a month before using, and it is heavenly :D

While I agree with most thoughts posted here I want to make the point that the necessity for curing buds for flavor is greatly related to the strain. That's to say that my favorite strains don't require a cure at all to be a tasty smoke and they are very enjoyable from barely dried on through the cure. All weed can improve from it's barely dried state but it seems many strains really do need at least a week or two to lose some of the green taste and then they start coming around. Strains that I haven't cared for and phenos that have turned out to not be very potent usually require the most curing. The worst examples always taste like hay and never start tasting any better despite several weeks in the jar. Those are the strains I label BUNK and never grow again...;) :p

Happy Growing~! :joint:

i too like strains that do not need much cure, this is first time running this strain. Thanks for all advice and info.
Its only been 4 days since chop, the difference from tody and yesterday is huge.

Hey, and Yo Ho,

Hick has a great post on curing. It is accurate and I am still using his exact method, only I try to stretch the cure as far as possible.

http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/showthread.php?t=54451

Dirtyolsouth is right on the point that some strains don't need any where the cure time, and I know this as I have dipped into my own smoke in the middle of a cure and found it deliceous also...

smoke in peace
KingKahuuna:icon_smile:

If it was going to be really smelly and good would it not be smelly now. I just picked 2 at 10 weeks and they are now hanging, just dont have much smell to them. Is it possible that after the cure they will smell strong. Ive been growing for 3 years this is first time with this strain, and ive been smoking some nice cured of same genetics from cali. just hard to see how mine will smell like the cali headband in a couple weeks. Now there is not much of a grass smell, just not much smell.

like everyone said, its not uncommon to have a strain not smell good, depends on the pheno. i guess try curing it, but any strains ive had that were stinky, stunk when growing, any that werent stinky, hardly had a smell and i culled them!

I just got done running chemdog for almost a year before changing it up. Chemdog stunk most of the way through, especially noticed when trimming.
So far I am not impressed with this headband pheno. The high is almost all in the head with this headband. Im a little disappointed admittedly.

I have not had a lot of different strains but a couple have not had much smell or flavor to them. I had one that had very little smell until it got jarred for a week, then it gained some smell but still not much. I culled it from the herd.

Some strains are simply not going to have as much taste and odor as others. It is pretty much strain related. However, a "grass" odor will almost always be lessened with a good dry and cure.

Usually when I notice a grass or hay odor the bud is premature..

OKAY I did some investigating about the no smell. I started doing a perpetual harvest until i realized what a pita it was, but I did learn something. I noticed that the youngest 2 (in the garden approaching harvest) smell sweet and skunky and even look more crystally.
It seems that the older ones somehow quit maturing trichome wise.
On the newer ones the trichs are abundant and milkier- these smell good, but going back to the others NO SMELL but same plant genetically,so I figure these plants suffered stress and I do remember seeing these pots dry one time couple weeks before harvest.

Are all these clones from the same plant or are they all from seed? If they are all cloned from same plant then they are genetically identical. That means that something went wrong with the first one. Sometimes it doesn't take much to mess them up. However, if they are all from seed then there could easily be a phenotype difference that would account for that. :)

There are some that i have not harvested that arent right, do we think they will finish late?It is about time now, but all orange hairs and a lack of cloudy trichs.

Latest posts

Back