Grow Box Questions

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

lilbudd

Reaction score
Let me start off by saying I know very little about indoor growing... However from the last week of research, I finally feel comfortably about starting a grow box. My box would be 3' by 3' by 4' tall. I have a 400 watt HPS I would use.

Questions:
1) Would I be able to grow 9 Indica plants in 9 sq ft? (using 1 foot diameter pots)
2) Could I veg with the HPS? or would it be better to use CFLs? or both?
3) Do you think making a seperate veg box would be a good idea? and if so, what would the dimensions be to be able to veg 9 plants?
4) Do you think I need to increase the height or width of my box?
5) Would a 400 HPS be enough for this area?

Any advice or tips will be very appreciated.

Once I get some feedback... I will create a blueprint of what I hope to create. Then you guys can critique it some more haha.

Thanks all,

LB

i dont know much but i think your growbox is too small for 9 plants, yeah the pots are 1 foot but the plant bushes up and out. srry i cant help more

the only way your gonna flower 9 plants in that space is to grow small single cola plants.
as for using the hps for the whole grow i don't know i don't use that type of light but i've read where otheir members have done it with good results.
seperate veg box is a good idea if you want to do a continues cycle of plants to flower. thats what i do. mine is 2x4x2 with floros, using 1 gallon pots you could fit plenty in that space.jmo
if your bent on flowering 9 plants at a time then yes its gonna need to be alot bigger.jmo
as for the 400watt hps it would be good for the box your plannin but much bigger and you'll need a stronger light. jmo

this is just my opinion others will have more ideas for you to explore.. good luck

In 3 x 3 by 4 tall i would put one (1) plant, any strain, make sure your room and especially the plant tops never go over 80 degrees, What are you planning to do for heat and ventilation? don't use the HPS to veg, you'll get bad results if any. CFL's can kick ***. i like T5's

My plants one month in veg are 2 1/2 feet tall in a waterfarm, 2 plants are taking up 8 sq ft, and they still have 2 months to grow.

Thanks for all the quick replies... by keeping the same dimensions or changing them slightly do you think 6 plants would be a more achievable number to flower? Also, could the dimension for the veg box, which slowmo suggested earlier be smaller if i'm vegging onli 6 plants?

420Freedom, I am planning on having two fans, one for intake and one for outtake. and if i have a veg box i would have two more there.

haha i wish you the best of luck ... if you get pictures post them too so we can compare.

can2.jpg

haha

you can make the veg box any size you want to meet your own needs and use short floros to veg or even cfls.

i flower 6 at a time in a similar box. you have to keep them small. almost no veg time to make it work. i suggest readin up on lst and supercroppin. good luck

Id think that 'd be to small for 9 plants but im not an xpert!!!

okay let me do this easy way with your questions
every numbers I reefers is to your question numbers lol
1) no.. you will need start small, with indica seeds, then go on. transparent a little. go on.. u know? take time.. patient...
2).. no.. it will make indica fan leaves sooo crispy like kfc crispy chick! use HID is BEST! and keep the room real COOL! 84-87degree.
3)yes seperate pots is best.. start with dixie cups for starter alright? do not forget make 5 nice holes on bottom of dixie cups for good drain...
4)you will replace every pot box every time plants gettin big, roots need more rooms from there or it will be crappy plants for you!!!
5)no.. unless well no we has 11 on hps for flowering, they gettin soo crowd so answer is no, maybe 4 plants when they are ready to flowering (HPS is for flowering, so veg with flo or HID and best use HID though) btw, you said u want start with 9 plants, oh well 1000s HPS will be doing nice for you, use strong A/C to keep them real cool!.

hope this will help you, cuz we has success on that.. grind smile and wink thumb ups

why not 12/12 from seed...Dubbaman has a thread he pulled an ounce per plant..

Thanks all... I think I am really going to look into starting 12/12 from seed. that way I could probally flower 9 plants right?

lilbudd said:
Thanks all... I think I am really going to look into starting 12/12 from seed. that way I could probally flower 9 plants right?

I sure hope you get all 9 females...chances are you wont..so lets plan on 4-5 Females and clone them..as the Males show ..pull and kill...Good luck and let me know when you have th grow going okay..Take care and be safe

i put 4 plants in to flower with my one lady for 2 weeks.they are the healthiest plants i ever saw.tomorrow i am going to put my little ones under the HPS also.they take off and put on some hell acious root systems.might not be right,but it works for me.the 4 i now have in vegg under MH are thriving.the HPS did nothing to deter these babies.go for and see the difference.i will do it from now on.good luck

lilbudd said:
... My box would be 3' by 3' by 4' tall. I have a 400 watt HPS I would use.
LB

My experience with the 400W HPS is that it will heat 5 homes in the dead of winter in Alaska. You're going to need a well-considered venting and cooling plan.

thanks man, Ive been told that alot... Im going to try to fabricate a cooling tube i think

ArtVandolay said:
My experience with the 400W HPS is that it will heat 5 homes in the dead of winter in Alaska. You're going to need a well-considered venting and cooling plan.

I wish. I run a 1000W HPS in a closet off my master bedroom. In the winter, I use the heat from my light to HELP heat my bedroom, but it only supplies a portion of the heat. In the summer, I can keep the space under 85F (with 100+F outside) with the use of an air cooled reflector w/2 computer fans, a passive air intake from the crawl space, a fan pulling cool air from the crawl space and an exhaust fan mounted at the ceiling pulling hot air in and pushing it into the attic space. The house came with a larger attic fan that pulls hot air out of the attic and exhausts it outside. The air entering the attic from the grow space is no hotter than the attic air itself. An oscillating fan runs 15 min on and 15 min off while the lights are on. I generally change my light time to night during the summer, but this year, heat hasn't been a problem and it is so much easier for me to work on my plants during the day.

You do need a well considered venting and cooling plan, but it is generally way doable.

yeah i agree with you hemp.i have not skimped on anything on my setup.but it is hard to cool.the only answer to my coolin is the portable ac unit.when it is hot enough we run the ac.its a central ac.its all good when the unit is running,but when it cuts off,the temps climb fast.there is no other way to cool this properly without the ac on continusly on.i am going to order a 9000 btu stand alone unit just for mt 2 tents.anybody else got a better idea i would love to hear it.

artvandolay,you are right.it puts out some heat.i have the reflector vented with a 465 cfm blower.the reflector itself is cool.i can lay my hand on the top or on the glass itself and leave it there,but it still gets hot as heck in the tent.and its relatively cool outside at the moment.i live in mi. and its still tough to keep it cool.i strive to keep it under 85 degrees and thats a battle.thats why i am going to spend the 400 bucks to get a portable ac unit.thats the only way there is to do this and not have to constantly watch it.good thing i'm retired or retarded,lol.thanks all

Latest posts

Back