Growing media

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ganga researcher

Reaction score
Hello! I'm a bit curious about the types of media (rock wool from Grodan, coco coir, etc) available to grow Marijuana, so I have a few questions!
  1. What type of growing media do you use and why?
  2. For Grodan's products or other types of rock/mineral wool, what issues have you come across?
  3. How do you dispose the growing media when you’re done?
  4. If you use mineral wool, what percentage of your cost goes into buying mineral wool

Hoping to hear from someone!

I use promix #4 soil less mix. It's easy and it works. I grow 6' to 7' plants and the promix helps give the roots something to cling to. I got this setup from 1 of the bigger commercial growers in NorCal. I use rockwool for seedlings and cuttings. Biggest issue for me is algae. When I'm done with the promix I take it to a landfill. The rockwool I throw in the trash, as I do scrap plants and leaves. Cost for rockwoll is minimal.

Any bagged, not bricked, coconut fiber plus at least 30% any bagged compost. I'm not picky as long as it's a quality coco product to begin with, that has already been desalted.
Canna bio terra coco and mother earth coco are the gold standards.
The coco gives a more airy structure, and the compost gives water retention and humic acids, leading to a very stable and forgiving mix that resists souring.
The trick to any mix is never to pot into a container way bigger than your plants need. Repotting periodically gives them a boost of fresh media to explore. Also, soils sour when they're constantly watered without enough roots to suck up the moisture fully between waterings. This leads to anaerobic conditions and even the best dirt will go bad in the pot.

Water and nutes. Currently using GH trio but will switch to Botanicare when i use up my current nutes. I start seed in dirt. I am comparing aero with bio bucket and will probably choose one or the other.. Or both.

Last edited:
Water and nutes. Currently using GH trio but will switch to Botanicare when i use up my current nutes. I start seed in dirt. I am comparing aero with bio bucket and will probably choose one or the other.. Or both.
You going with pure blend or power plant/ power flower? The latter is like, tailor made for water. I have probably gone through a 55 gallon drum worth of the stuff over the last decade lol if I knew now what I didn't know then, I would have bought the drum. It never goes bad.

Latest posts

Back