Growing only main colas - is there a name to this?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

accid

Good Morning,

Background:
I am limited in space in my grow box. It is 8 1/2 square feet total, 5ft tall x 2.5 ft wide. Anyhow typically during a grow the side branches extent outwards leaving me with limited space. I usually grow 3 plants in my grow box which has 400watt hps (soil grown).

I have been pondering what i can do to save space and thought maybe i can cut off the side branches at about week 3 of veg, leaving only the main stem. I think there may be a name for this. Anyhow, have any of you tried this or read about it. Id be curious to know if the results would be any good or if it would hurt the plant. If this were to work fine, i could grow 4-5 plants rather than 3.

Let me know, thanks a bunch all.

I thought at first that you had plants that were only growing colas and nothing else, and you were wondering what that was called. I was gonna say that it's called "Freakin' Awesome!!"

What you are describing (sort of) is a technique known as Sea Of Green, or SOG. There are many variations on the SOG theme these days, but the core idea is the same and very simliar to what you asking about.

Go to Advanced Growing Techniques/Cultivation (http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=44) and do a thread search for "SOG." You're gonna find everything you need to know there. If not, one of the gurus will answer any questions you might still have.

Ciao!

~Snax (He Who Lurks)

ye i do SOG you can place much bigger number of plants in SOG but they should be taken as clones in big number and then clone them for some time under a fluro so that it concentrates on roots rather than stretching towards lihjt then it's placed under my 400 under 12/12, no vegging time lost this is the SOG but the number of plants should be at least like 12 to be called SOG and the strain should be suitable for it it shouldnt stretch much and doing it in soil pots would be a trouble too many pots to fill and water i do them in DWC tray, if you just putting 4-6 plants it's more of a srcog you need to veg em some time and flower them when theyr still not very big so they fit under light

I've never heard of haveing a certain number of plants to be considered Sea of Green...you can grow in the sea of green style with 2 plants if you want.

SCROG involves a screen or peice of lattice at the top of the canopy to coax the buds through, and keep the canopy all even...I've never heard of a specific number for this either, it can be done with 1 or many plants.

Check the link Snax gave you, you should find everything you need there.

SOG with 2 plants? maybe with a little 20watt bulb :p in SOG you flower when they small your right cant be a specific no. of plants if theres no size of light specified but you cant call 2 plants under 400w a SOG

HI,

I run a POG... "PUDDLE of Green" setup in a 2 x 4 x 8 closet with a 1K HPS... :p The bloom closet is always 12/12... I run anywhere from 3 to 8 plants in there... multi strain grows... as plants finish and get harvested I'll pop another plant in it's place. If I run 8 plants I'll keep them single cola plants or I'll top them and encourage 2-4 main branches for colas. If I run only a few plants I'll top them, allowing 4-6 main branches to develop and I'll run them in 7 or 10 gal pots & LST/tie down the main branches to spread out the canopy and allow some of the lower growth on the main stems to fill out the canopy with bud sites.

You can run more small plants or fewer large plants. The yield is comparable either way you go. Single strain grows with all the plants the same age/size are the easiest but you can constantly put new plants in the bloom space if you can use some sturdy boxes, boards, etc to elevate the shorter plants and keep them close to the light.

Happy Growing!:cool:

to me sea of green is any perpetual harvest, where you are moving vegged plants into a flowering chamber at different intervals to be harvested at different times...so it could be done with 2 plants or 20 or 200 depending on the size of your space...so maybe it's not a huge sea...maybe like DOS said a puddle...lol...but that is my understanding. I used to have a whole book all about SOG back 10 yrs ago or so...hmmmm, wonder where that went???

Puff when the term came out there was a book and video (yes before dvd's)...the book actually showed different sized grows. It was basically the first published book on the perpetual harvesting and having dif rooms for diff. stages, instead of germing, vegging and flowering all in the same room. there was a book written about it, oooh at least 10 yrs ago probably more. call it what you want, I'm just saying yrs ago when that term was first being used it was meant as pretty much single cola, or tightly spaced plants using a perpetual harvesting methods with different rooms. The book was titled Sea of Green, I can't remember the author anymore, but I can try to find the info if you would like. Thats why when you see in seed descriptions that a certain plant will work in SOG gardens, it means it is single cola, or very little branching, because of this style of growing, maximizing space and time to get the most yeild. The book had differnet set ups from small cabinets, to huge rooms.

Definition from Marijuana Horticulture The indoor/outdoor medical growers Bible; by: Jorge Cervantes

Sea Of Green (SOG) A method of growing tightly spaced cloned plantlets. The clones are flowered almost immediately after rooting for a small yeild per plant, but no wasted space.

Quote from "The Cannabis grow Bible" by:Greg Green

The sea of Green setup can be of any size but must maintain the same basic shape and follow certain SOG rules. In SOG grows you are looking at 1 plant per square ft. or even 1 plant per 0.1 sq feet. Very short indica's can be grown in as much as 0.1 sq ft. But in general most growers end up using 0.5 sq ft. ....

one more from Ed Rosenthal, quoted from "Ask Ed, your marijuana questions answered"

SOG: a method of growing in which plants are placed very closely together so that little space is required for them to fill the canopy

I can get you more if you want..........

"perpetual harvest" can be accomplished with just about ANY setup. It is not specific to SOG.....
SOG is however, specific to flowering small, single cola plants in tight quarters. The technique can be used on "one" plant if so desired, but it would be difficult to call 'that' a SEA of green..
For those wih number limits/restrictions or in states without exemption, those numbers become a factor (gawd forbid) "IF" you are busted.
Think about it... How is a judge or jury going to look at 20 plants,(in SOG) compared to 2 plants, (in a SCROG).. ;)

accid said:
I have been pondering what i can do to save space and thought maybe i can cut off the side branches at about week 3 of veg, leaving only the main stem. I think there may be a name for this.

Sounds to me like lollipopping!

Yeah, I must admit, after reading my first post when I said it can be done with one or many...it would be hard to call 1 plant a sog...lol, so I guess 2 is the limit. I was just trying to say that there is no size requirement, that it is a style or technique for growing.

Latest posts

Back