has any body seen fiber optic lighting

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

edward

Reaction score
there is cable that bring in light from the sun inside and releases it at the end of the fiber optic lines that are open strans no heat only light there has to be a way to use this as a free light sorce its just now going commerial in sky scrapers

sounds cool, only one problem though, you wouldnt be able to control the lighting times like you can with artificial light... I like having 4 or 5 harvests a year!!

You could control the light schedule by covering the side that receives light. I have seen fiber optics plenty of times before, even seen some neat science projects done with them, but if their was a growing application I'd imagine someone would have exploited it by know. The thickest fiber optic I have ever seen was about 1/4 in thick, and the light came out the end fairly focused. Imagine how many it would take to sufficiently cover a grow. Also, I'm sure there has to be some light degradation as it passes through twists and turns, the lumen output is probably not the same as the lumen input, just my opinion though.

cadlakmike1 said:
You could control the light schedule by covering the side that receives light. I have seen fiber optics plenty of times before, even seen some neat science projects done with them, but if their was a growing application I'd imagine someone would have exploited it by know. The thickest fiber optic I have ever seen was about 1/4 in thick, and the light came out the end fairly focused. Imagine how many it would take to sufficiently cover a grow. Also, I'm sure there has to be some light degradation as it passes through twists and turns, the lumen output is probably not the same as the lumen input, just my opinion though.

Yes covering it would work for half of the year, but what about during the winter when theres only 10 or 12 hours of daylight and your trying to veg your grow? Not only that I like my lighting on timers, if you had to cover anything that would require you to be home everyday at the exact same time to cover the light.

Latest posts

Back