Heat/Humidity in 12/12

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bohica1a4

Reaction score
Hi all... I started a small closet grow from bagseed a few months ago. I have four plants under 23 (100)w CLF's. LST'd to keep them under the lights instead of raising the lights and to give me more bud shoots. 3 are sativas and 1 is indica (bagseed so unknown strains). I know the difference because of leaf structure and height.

The summer has been incredibly hot and humid. Helped all the plants be pretty girls. However, unless my meters are wrong (which they very well could be; they were part of a set that belonged to my dad), the temp and humidity are way too high for flowering. I have done everything I can think of to lower the humidity (space is too small and tight for a dehumidifier and the noise would also be an issue). There is constant air flow because I have the doors open all day long and I have a fan blowing fresh air directly through the girls and one fan to try and suck the heat out. There is AC on high in the main room. I tried DampRid when the temps were peaking outside (supposed to last 45 days; all I got was about three weeks before I had to dump the water that was sucked out of the air). No matter what, I can't get RH below 75% consistently.

They have been in 12/12 for about 2 weeks now (flowering nicely :D). When I turn the lights off, I cover them to make sure no light is getting in. Unfortunately, this raises the RH overnight and it takes all day to lower it even a little bit, if at all.

I had one plant growing in the darkest, most hidden spot in my yard but street lights and the occasional motion sensor lights from the neighbor or car in the driveway after dark made the poor thing go hermie. I left it alone and just cut it down at 4+ feet (been reading about hash so I don't waste it).

I would love to put the inside plants outside but I don't want them to go hermie and waste the time and energy (not to mention the loving attention they get throughout the day) I've put into them. I spend a lot of time making sure that the lights hit as much as possible.

From what I've been reading all over the place, high temps and humidity won't produce the glands I want.

My budget is very low. The next grow will be in my basement (once it's been cleaned out and kill the mildew). The temps stay pretty consistent and it's easier to heat than cool when necessary.

Have I wasted my time and resources? Or am I just going to have low quality smoke? Any suggestions?

why not move it to the basement after everything is cleaned..?
that can save ur time, and be sure do wash ur hands after you touch males or herms you do not want females to get some from herms

happen to me, cause alll plants to produce seeds just because I touch herms tryin get balls off, and I went ahead touch other plants, thats is my other mistakes as well!... they are very senstive!! you want females to go ahead and grow buds than waitin for males to breed...

I would move them to the basement sooner than later but we had someone (a stinking crackhead who stole a lot more than money, but that is another sad story) living in it who left it such an f**king mess that it will take a crew to clean out the s**t before I can even attempt to get rid of the mildew issue. I'm hoping it will be cleaned out in the next few weeks (we are waiting for a home improvement loan to do a bunch of other things). It really will take a crew cause just about everything there needs to be put in a dumpster and I am so pissed at the guy who left it that way that I don't even want to go down there until the crap is gone. He left it pretty close to a health hazard. It's the only reason I didn't start the grow there in the first place.

I'm hoping it will be cleaned out before the girls are too close to harvest (it's been almost three weeks of 12/12). Once it's clean, someone else will be renting. I'm hoping they don't start stealing what's growing. I'll have to have a serious talk with them and/or lock the door. I've been picturing and making plans for a bigger flouro grow cause there are many (lots) of 4' fixtures in the house (not being used for anything) that I plan to use.

Bohica, for good air flow you need a high fan and a low fan. One fan is situated above the plants blowing air across your lights and out the door. Often, in a closet-like space the high fan is in the back of the closet blowing air out the door. The low fan is situated on or near the floor at the door sucking air in and blowing it across the tops of the plants.

What if you got a dehumidifier for the main room? I wonder if that might help you with your problem.

You will need to figure out a solution before too long, because in late flowering the flowers are susceptible to bud rot, and high humidity contributes to this. For about the last three weeks or so, try to keep the humidity down below 50%. I've had problems with bud rot before. Keep the air circulation good between the flowers, especially when they are dense and near finishing. Don't let your big colas fall over on each other, restricting air flow between them. This can trap moisture and lead to mold.

Latest posts

Back