Help diagnose - outdoor problem

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Happyfarmer

Reaction score
Hey people, thx for a good forum.

First a little background story so as to make it easier for you to help

I'm growing outdoors (on land not in pots) and the soil of my grow was very poor (nutrient wise) so before i planted the plants i cultivated it with 2kg dolomite lime pr m2 and 1kg of composted chicken manoure (3-1-2) and some seaweed extract.
I used a machine so i could get the dirt mixed up really good. (before adding anything the ph was about 5,5)

Then the plants came in and they pretty much all lacked nutrients. So i starting giving them biobizz biogrow. And it worked very well. I gave them 30ml per 10 liters everytime i watered
Their growth was very well until a couple of weeks ago. Some plants started to show signs of deficiency. Which i didn't understand cause they had gotten so much.

The signs tells me it's Magnesium deficiency. Yellowing between veins on leafes, forming from buttom and out. And slight red colours on some internoodes. At this point i was like okay they should have all the nutrients in the ground so how can they show signs of deficiency. I concluded that it was a Mg lockout due to over fertilizing with N, and K which should be able to lockout Mg as far as i've understood.

Can anyone confirm my suspicion? And how do i treat a soil that has a lockout? (since it's not in pots i cant just flush them) some plants show no sign and seem to grow perfect

I have started using epsom salt on plants that show the worst signs. Havent helped yet though it seems.

Please help me. they have just started blooming and i really wanna get them well.

Thx in advance!!

Pics.

View attachment retouched.jpg

View attachment WIN_20140724_204724.jpg

View attachment WIN_20140724_204754.jpg

Last edited:
It may be hard to see. My camera dont wanna talk to my computer so cant get the files from there. Picture number 2 is pretty much the look of the whole plant that you can see in the third picture.

I personally believe that you have come to the wrong conclusion. I do believe that it may be a mg deficiency, however I do not believe that you have lockout from excess N. When plants get too much N, the leaves are a dark green and yours are not. I simply recommend getting some Cal-Mag and feeding them. A lot of strains need more Cal-Mag than they get from their nutes.

Thanks for your answer.

You may be right. What i don't understand is how they could be missing out on Mg and Ca when i've given them 2kg pr m2 of dolomite lime? thought it would do it? i'll try to get cal mag. But it can't be bought in my country for some reason. Have to get it online in another country. I'll keep spraying them with epsom salt until i get Cal mag from somewhere.

Other replies from people will be very much welcome.

Given the size of the plants and the ability of the soil to leach out the magnesium ffrom where you put it in, I am inclined to think that the available magnesium has been used up at this point. However, using the Epsom salt on them should show some change within a few days if you are getting enough to them. I would continue with the Epsom salt for a few days and see if they begin to look better. If they do show improvement then more dolomite lime is the answer.

Hey people. thx for the answers.

I am continueing with the epsom salt so far without results (i use approx 2% dose 90ml in 5liter water)

But i've now started to fear that it is iron deficiency instead since that is the only thing that i havent really given them i feel. So i vil buy iron sulfate and start spraying them with that too and see if they improves anything. Anyone that has experience with this? dosage etc?

More pictures. It may look like just lower leaves starting to shed but its more or less the whole plant.

View attachment Screenshot_2014-07-14-09-30-04.jpg

View attachment Screenshot_2014-07-14-09-30-23.jpg

What is that white stuff, i that mildew? Are you foliar feeding and not getting it mixed? What's going on?

Hey Rosebud. I don't know what "white" thing you're talking about. Maybe just water on the leafes you're mistaking for mildew. I am mixing the foliar solution properly and i have no pest/disease problems what so ever :farm:

You asked if i had any molasses? The biobizz i have fed them is comprised of molasses. Does molasses have any other uses?

cal/mag problem or another macro nute is missin its not a nute lockout for sure

Yeah I think rose is seeing a sheen on the leaves from being wet. The upper leaves certainly look just like magnesium deficiency, while in the ffirst pic, the lower leaves do look like an iron deficiency is occurring.

I just took another look and not sure if that is iron deficiency as iron deficiency usually occurs on the newer leaf growth rather than older leaves. It will typically show up at the higher parts of the plant because iron is not very mobile element, so it doesn't get taken from the lower leaves and given to the upper leaves like other elements. It seems as iff the soil pH is off a bit but not sure if it is too high or too low.

i didnt read before just looked at pics ur soil mixture doesnt sound right atleast not the way i make it but hushpuppy maybe right check the ph and id get a cal/mag supplement and a macro nutrient supplement imo its not a iron diff

Thanks for all the answers.

I keep giving them epsom salt... dont know if it's working. Atleast its not getting worse at the moment so that's a start.

Next year i plan on giving chicken manoure again. How much would you use? i i used 1 kg pr m2 this year. But what if i give like 3kg? is that too much and what happens if i do? the manoure doesnt burn the plants so it should be fine or? the plants are spaced at 1 m2 pr plant.

Well, what im looking for is what do "you" do in your organic soil garden? meaning the yearly routine for nutrients. If one of you have a plan you follow and your plants are happy will be glad to hear about it. I plant on growing in this particular soil for several years and i want it to be as healthy as possible. I've been looking around and have seen tips etc but not a complete "this is the mixture i use every year" Keep in mind i grow organic and dont use extra soil like spaghnum etc. I'd rather improve the current soil i have.

my mix i never reuse it but this is what my mix is i start off with a base no nute added potting soil i get at a local plant nursery its very good soil then i add perlite, peat moss, vericulite, worm castings, sand, and lime personal i never use manoure of any kind just my opinion for nutrients i use dyna gro for veg and dyna gro bloom coupled with FF for bloom

Hey kindbud. Thx for your answer. But i'm afraid it's not what im looking for, since you're probably talking about growing in pots/dug holes outside which is pretty different. Kepp in mind i have a pretty big area where i grow and i wanna grow organic and get a healthy soil (the earth itself) plus the spagnum you buy at the nursery wouldnt be fertalized organicly.

all u would have to do is every year is till up ur soil then mix new perlite, lime, worm castings, and a blood and bone meal some kelp maybe and mix it up and their u go i just use new soil because its just easyier

Plants are fine....trying too many remedies will cause a lockout eventually..it's preflower season...plants go through changes..some leaves will be pulled from more so then others by the plant...if it's a temp sensitive strain a couple cooler nights can cause a lil discoloration on stems...just let them be..IMO.if it is a nute issue different nutes are absorbed at different PH levels, reference a ph chart and see what numbers allow the plant to absorb what it needs and adjust water accordingly..a few 5gal buckets full of properly PH adjusted water will do... Just my 2cents, I know a lil bit about outdoor growing...it's been my outdoor experience adjusting PH will fix ALL nute issues...

I grabbed mine...here you go...

View attachment image.jpg

Latest posts

Back