help.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

thcjoshthc

Reaction score
is this normal all my stats are in the photos some leads are curling up and some stems are turning purple day 43 general hydroponics trio plus cal mag my water items actually 65 f. but the ph and rpms should be right on I got these two meters off Amazon today the yellow is ph and blue is ppm or tds meter...400 watt hps at about 18 inches above the he plant but have a fan running and it passed the hand test.

Attachments

• 20200202_203316.jpg
    20200202_203316.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200202_203641.jpg
    20200202_203641.jpg
    20.6 KB · Views: 36
  • 20200202_203530.jpg
    20200202_203530.jpg
    19 KB · Views: 37
  • 20200202_203436.jpg
    20200202_203436.jpg
    23.1 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200202_203322.jpg
    20200202_203322.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 34
  • 20200202_203316.jpg
    20200202_203316.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 34
Not a Hydro guy but i am pretty sure ph supposed to be under 6 in Hydro. Low temps cause purple color.

What are the room temps?

Ph too high, res temp too low. Fish tank submersible heater in there stat, and drop down to about pH 5.6-5.8.
Water temp needs to be in the 70s.

Yeah, your PH is above the range for soil let alone Hydro. Hydro is 5.5 to 6.1. Most Hydro peeps start it at the low end and let it climb to the top this way you sweep through all the nutrients. Then they reset it to the low end and do it all over again.

nutrient_chart-gif.1833

PH is too high and PPMs are way too high. You want your pH for dwc between 5.5 and 6.0, I prefer to let it swing a little. PPMs for late bloom don't need to be above 1200. The high pH would explain the purple stems but the most common reason for the curled edges of the leaf is heat stress. You light may too close. So lower your pH, raise your light and go easier on the food. I personally would not recommend putting a heater in your Rez.

My PPM right now is 1250, in second week of flower using GH Nutes. They can take WAY more than 1200 in late bloom. You’ll start to see tip burn on the leaves when they have enough food. Back off a bit from there.

Hamster is bang on about the PH in hydro. I let mine fluctuate daily through the nutrient changes. That’s what’s causing your pink stem. Which also means nutrient block out, so you are wasting all those expensive nuts also.

wow thanks guys! so I'm gonna go check it again here soon I'm gonna lower the ph down to 5.5 andlet it rise to 6.5 and then reset to 5.5 and repeat, then dilute the nutes with just water to get the rpms down below 800 my res temps at 70 and room temps about the same , am I missing anything?

how much of this ph down do I use it seems like I gotta add a cap full to drop it a full point

I do 10ml per 5 gallons to start. Give it a good mix and measure the ph

How much you need depends on the ionic strength of the solution and how heavily buffered it is. You will get used to how resistant your res is to adjustment (This is called buffering) go gradually the first few times so you don't overshoot and end up chasing your tail with pH up (and down, and up...lol), it gets really easy to judge after the first few times. I have to play this game daily with a dozen 1000L tanks of industrial dye lol i promise it becomes second nature :)

I put a ph meter in the solution and slowly add ph down, giving it time to react and stabilize. I shoot for 6.0, but if it is 6.2 to 5.8, I won't adjust it. I am constantly mixing the solution when adding and measuring ph down

Was getting my young’ns settled in the coco this morning and thought, I haven’t calibrated my pen in a while...cleaned it all up and got out the solution...I was a whole point off reading low...might explain some of the crap I’ve been seeing...note to self:check yer ph pen often...
When I first started growing, I bought a bottle of ph adjustment crystals....can’t remember the brand but it takes very little to make an adjustment...like a few grains...

Yes! I find this to be ESPECIALLY true with supplements. I'd rather go a little low than risk overkill... I'm cautious that way.

I get the overkill worry. But I find that with experience seeing how they react to each feeding, and knowing your strains well, you can go higher than most would think. I keep logs of my feedings and how they react to adjust next time. I am using a full range of supplements with the GH 3 part and am way higher than what they recommend, and see the benefits.

I compare frequently to not using the supplements and their really is a difference. Just my experience. I never overkill it, burn plants etc. But to do that you have to have healthy plants from day one to harvest. So it really is a science to get everything, not just the nutrients, perfect.

Please keep in mind that I grow 100% hydroponics. Those growing in Coco or other mediums might not be able to go very high with nutrients as the medium might provide some, store some etc. I know nothing about coco....

Last edited:
Then I would say that you may have a unique situation. Advice on growing sites is always going to be to help 90% of people and I think that for most people it is better to not go to high with ppm.

For sure. Everyone has different circumstances and different results. You’d have to do everything I do 100 % the same way that I do to get the same results. A minor change could have a major impact.

I do believe the fact that I grow hydroponically is a contributing factor to my higher feedings. When I grow in Promix I find they are more sensitive to over feedings.

Readers needs to take ‘best practices’ from everyone and learn their own ways and what works for them.

And that would include every farmer, agricultural expert, and every horticultural educator. Ok everybody that knows anything about plants would disagree with you. And why is that? Let me guess, only you have the divine knowledge that no one else has, lol.

well just to let ya guys no I got it under control I been using my aquarium water instead of tap but it's about a 7 to 7.8 add the nutes and ph it accordingly ,if at all since the nutes should drop the ph of the water naturally correct? but I mixed my nutes a bit on the lighter side instead of full throttle,showed great growth ever since as long as I keep my ph in the green zone of 5.5 6.5 should be great,tomorrow's my first 12 -12 I am as far as I've ever officially made it on a grow atempt...thanks guys

Latest posts

Back