Hemp pollination

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ColoradoLady

Reaction score
Is anyone besides Colorado having the new hemp fields pollinating female crops? Our entire county is seeded by uneducated hemp farmers. Not only are we all pissed, they seeded the thousands of acres of female clone hemp fields also. Our Senator told me lost a ton of $$$ on his hemp fields. Some of mine were so heavily seeded had to be thrown in a pile and burned.

I have wild hemp here that pollinates my good cannabis every year outside. Only real use sometimes is bubble hash if there's enuff volume.
Although, I'm fairly sure hemp seed oil can be used in biodiesel fuel.
Sounds like you have pharmers who need to be educated.

Hi CL, so nice to see you again. What a stupid problem... can hemp pollinate cannabis?

I do have thousands of Blue Dream/Hemp seeds. Also AK47/Hemp, Liberty Haze/Hemp and Chronic/Hemp seeds. If anyone wants to try to breed a high CBd Hemp plant with a high THC kick they're yours.

And hello Rosebud....been away for awhile. Nice to hear from you.

They are starting to grow hemp in Oregon, so I am somewhat concerned about this, too, especially as I am out in the middle of farm country. I was on the grand jury for the month of Sept and one of my fellow jurors is going to be growing (acres of) hemp next year to make CBD oil. Although they will use fem seeds, he talked about the (herculean) task of trying to keep any errant males out of the crops. I anticipate that the more hemp is grown, the more we will see of this problem.

While many people want their cannabis to have as high a THC content as possible, the older I get, the more I get into CBD strains. I search for strains that are at least 1:1, on up to 20:1 (Candida). It could be that these seeds will result in plants with a nice CBD level while still having enough THC for a little high. I would be up for trying some of these--not necessarily to breed, but just for a (potentially) high CBD content. I have considered growing a couple of high CBD hemp plants for my sister who is very sensitive to THC. I also have friends and family that can't handle the high THC levels that I can, but would like to use CBD for pain relief. In fact, these could result in plants that are great for those who are using cannabis for the first time and have no tolerance to THC. While it really sucks that you had seeded plants, I wouldn't think of the seeds as useless or garbage.

They are starting to grow hemp in Oregon, so I am somewhat concerned about this, too, especially as I am out in the middle of farm country. I was on the grand jury for the month of Sept and one of my fellow jurors is going to be growing (acres of) hemp next year to make CBD oil. Although they will use fem seeds, he talked about the (herculean) task of trying to keep any errant males out of the crops. I anticipate that the more hemp is grown, the more we will see of this problem.

While many people want their cannabis to have as high a THC content as possible, the older I get, the more I get into CBD strains. I search for strains that are at least 1:1, on up to 20:1 (Candida). It could be that these seeds will result in plants with a nice CBD level while still having enough THC for a little high. I would be up for trying some of these--not necessarily to breed, but just for a (potentially) high CBD content. I have considered growing a couple of high CBD hemp plants for my sister who is very sensitive to THC. I also have friends and family that can't handle the high THC levels that I can, but would like to use CBD for pain relief. In fact, these could result in plants that are great for those who are using cannabis for the first time and have no tolerance to THC. While it really sucks that you had seeded plants, I wouldn't think of the seeds as useless or garbage.

Hello sorry you're getting hemp in Oregon. It will be a hugh mess. I have not been able to learn the Hemp strain they used. My strains, all HEAVILY seeded, are:

Double Bubba
Bubba Kush x chem dog High CBD

Blue Dream
Blueberry X Haze

Liberty Haze
G13 x Chem Dog

Super Nova
Critical

AK47 x Haze

Blissful Wizard
Girl Scout Cookies x Capts Cookies High THC and Hash plant winner

If you see anything you'd like to try message me. All seeded with same unknown Hemp strain. Don't know how to private message here. Sorry Carolyn

Hemp and Marijuana are the same plant, just a legal jargon from the government(s) delegating hemp as Cannabis sativa L. with <0.3% THC. Above 0.3% THC it is classified as marijuana.

For the record, Rose Bud, and others, industrial hemp grown for fiber and seed is extremely low in CBD. Only those hemp varieties that are bred and grown for CBD (and they are all Female as well) have any good levels of CBD. Chardonnay, Cobbler and a few others come to mind that are special bred hemp that do produce upwards of 15% or better CBD and "usually" less than 0.3% THC... given harvest at an early enough time. Problem is, if not picked soon enough some of it can produce in excess of 0.3% THC and thereby be deemed unsalable for hemp for CBD and probably have to be destroyed.

Male cannabis pollen can drift up to 30 miles away. I live on the Eastern edge of Michigan close to Lake Michigan with predominant westerly winds, a good thing.... providing a neighbor west of me for the few miles between us and the lake does not grow industrial hemp.

BTW, Hemp grown as CBD for the flowers looks, smells and grows exactly like female marijuana plants. See a problem?

IF you have had some plants pollinated, and you have buds with seeds in there, I don't think it's worth throwing in the burn pit as trash... I am not too sure on how much less THC is produced in flowers that have seeds, but in my day, 1970's you could buy an ounce bag for $20 and it always had seeds in it, and people still got pretty high. Probably a lot of it had stems, leaves as well as seeds mixed in as well. So a real flower with a few seeds would probably still be worth keeping, just separate out the seeds before decarboxylating , smoking, consuming, etc. Only thing I found about weed and seed content was this article. https://www.marijuanabreak.com/average-thc-content-over-the-years

Here's the thing. If a plant gets pollinated by another plant, it's fruit is NOT affected (we'll call marijuana flower their "fruit) Example: I have a Red Delicious apple and cross it with a crab apple. That resulting mature fruit looks, smell, and tastes exactly like Red Delicious. However, those seed IN that apple won't be Red Delicious as they will carry genes from the crab apple and alter the resulting new growth of the apple into something else. BTW, apple varieties have been breed from crossings for decades to produce new strains. The thing is any seeds from the ill timed fertilizing of the female marijuana flower by a male, beet it a similar or even "wild" variety, will not affect the flower, but only the plants grown from those seeds.

I suspect that because Marijuana produce Trichomes that have THC, CBD, and other cannaboids, that are part of the plants defense mechanism, that if there are seeds produced, the production still goes on, but the overall weight of the flower will be partially from useless (no THC in seeds) seeds. So a 1 oz flower, no seeds, will have X grams of THC, but the 1 oz flower with no seeds will have X-(weight of seeds) THC. Seeds are a bit denser than plant material/Trichomes and will take up a certain percentages of the weight. So you won't get a full ounce of good smoking weed once you take out the milligrams of seed contents. Just a thought I had about pollinated female plants.

While a seeded bud will supposedly put more energy into making seeds than making cannabinoids, to me, it is the onerous job of cleaning the seeds from the bud that makes seeded bud so bad.

I started 3 Double Bubba x hemp seeds last week and am hoping to get a female. If I do, I will be testing it to see exactly what is in it. I am thinking more and more that a high CBD hemp crossed with a high THC strain might be good for my old lady aches and pains (put a new kitchen sink and faucet in yesterday and it almost killed me).

I have moved from where I was in Oregon to another place in Oregon. I am in the middle of ranch country rather than farm country, so hoping that cultivated hemp is not going to be a problem. Only time will tell though...we get some fierce winds here.

THG, it would have killed me, i don't know how you do it. My gf brought over a hemp feminized seed, 00 cherry is its name and it is a beautiful red color... holy crap. i still can't believe i am growing hemp.

Oh, I hate moving so much....and it almost killed me, too (dang I'm getting old). But it is beautiful here, though colder. I anticipate needing frost protection in the fall--like a greenhouse. Going to use 25 gal grow bags. I got the plants started late, so am thinking that they will be a bit smaller.

LOL--I also cannot believe that I am growing a (1/2) hemp plant. But dang, this getting old brings aches and pains. It will be interesting to see how your 00 Cherry turns out.

THG, I thought you moved just about a year or two ago...doin it again?
I’m just hoping there are folks around with the facilities to save these strains we’ve been enjoying...it appears that the indoor grower could develop an edge in the market place if hemp pollutes the outside world...A shame because each has its purpose...then again, I just had a few tokes so here I go ramblin again...

Ugh, yes, I moved 3 years ago--how time flies. I hope I never have to again.Family problems (my spoiled-rotten entitled ***** of a niece) made living there really unpleasant, so my buddy and I moved. I can tell you it is hard to find a place to rent that you can have 3 dogs, a cat, and grow cannabis.

I feel pretty confident that the THC strains will always be around--there is simply a demand for them and as long as there is demand, I think there will be supply. I am not familiar with industrial hemp used for things like rope and fabric, but it is in the best interest of CBD hemp growers to keep males out of their crops, too. I know that they use feminized seeds, as like THC strains, the cannabinoids are present in the female flowers. I will probably try some whole plant extractions, too with my 1/2 hemp plant.

Latest posts

Back