Hi I'm Tom Thumb

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tom thumb

Reaction score
hI there, I thought I would say hi before I have to ask any questions. I'm trying an indoor garden for the first time (properly, now I'm older and understand quality, and paitence go hand in hand).

i'm going to use a space that is 11' x 5' x7' (height), I haven't purchased my equipment yet but this is what i'm thinking and would like input and using this space for flowering only. Two 600w hps lights with or in cool tubes (however you say it), I have a fresh air intake duct only 4" in dia., so I assume I will have to use a fan to draw adequate fresh air. I would like to draw the cool tube air from the adjacent room and return it to the same room and use the return to heat that room when necessary (if possible, how much heat is returned ??), for exhaust i'm thinking a can fan/filter combo and size of this is a question for me. the can fan 33, or the 66,is what i'm thinking, but, would this be adequate and if so which one?

Sooo lots of questions, I'm going to grow in an organic medium and was thinking of about 16-20 plants per light, is this ok? and what size containers do I need? 5 gallon buckets are larger then i need for the size i'm thinking but i think 1 gallon pots are to small. I would really appreciate your input, please realize I'm serious and am not wasting your time, I will continually post progress so results from advice will be displayed for your viewing enjoyment.

Cheers Tom Thumb

Hi tom,
Quick question for ya- When you're down in Juarez, and it's Easter-time too, and your negativity fails you, what would you do?

welcom to the site my friend...i dont understand the post befor me..but maybe its cause its friday...anyway...why are you flowering in such a big room?..do you have veg room and clone/cutting rooms? also if you run cool tubes there is little heat to deal with..not enough to heat room next to it..if you was to run non cool tubes i would say yes..lots of people do that to save on heat cost in winter..and not sure 2 @ 600 is enough lumes..be sure to check into it..I did some grows in 5 gallon buckets..and this fall im useing 3 gallon grow bags...it all depends on the size of plant you want to grow..I flowered some in a 1 gallon container ..they were 12 inches when put into flower and yielded an oz dry...but if you was to veglonger then I would go larger...the amount of plants is stricly up to area and how big you want them..the more you have the less lower light penitration..make sence?...good luck to you and look forward to seeing a grow journal from you soon until then take care and be safe

makes perfect sense, i was actually probably only use 7-8 ft of the room at one end leaving room at the end for any storage or a dehumidifer if needed, will 4" fresh air with an inline fan pulling in be enough in air

you need to be able to move the air...and that size space I dont think a 4 inch will bring in enough for air exchange...what are you doing for ventilation? In my flower room thats 3x6x8 ( 192 cubic feet ) I use a 6 inch vent at floor level..and in the oposite corner close to the ceiling I have a 6 inch votex thats 300cfm...it pulls air threw the vent at bottom and thats how my flower room gets its fresh air.. and pulls the heat out..and that is conected to a carbon scrubber ouside of room works for me..Good luck my friend

Welcome to the forum, my friend. :)

alrighty, then... sounds like you have chosen your new hobby... and it's a great one, let me tell ya :D .... VERY enjoyable end result, IMO ;) :cool:

now... with an area the size that you described, sounds like you have availablity to pull off perpetual harvests, more-or-less... :hubba:

don't start off small, and work yer way up to a grander scale... go fer the gusto right from the start... believe me.

it will save you money in the end, cuz you are going to find you want to be adding things and making yer operation larger in no time at all... so, just attempt to go big right from the start, and you won't find you would be going... " damn!... I shoulda went with this right from the start..." :ignore:

take it from an old grower... plan everything out ahead of time (sketches, and ask for advice and ideas from the others here at the forum) and you will find you will design up an awsome grow that would be the envy of most people here...

that's my advice... :cool:

Welcome to MP Tom. Looks like you are well on your way to growing your own herb. Your setup is sounding pretty good to me. You can use a 4" vent as long as you get a powerful fan, but 6" would we preferable. GL on the grow.

First of all, welcome to the forum and you will LOVE it here! The only true stoner website out there. This is because everyone here is a truly kind hearted person. we are a one of a kind community and you will love to become part of the MP family :) I can see a bunch of some of the great helpers here at MP have already greeted you!

With that much vertical space use the 5 gallon pots and fill them up to the top. This is to ensure maximum root space. Subcool (who is a very knowledgeable writer for HEADS and High Times who is part of our community here) says more root space, the more yeild and size per plant. Also, with that much veg time and height of growroom, you will need the root space.

Also, what are your temps running at right now? Do you have night temp/day temp information? This is really a good way to check if your ventilation MIGHT be adequate, but is not enough evidence to assume its enough anyways. The more ventilation, the closer to outdoor environments. My current grow is in fox farms so it should have this stems but because of non-adequate ventilation my buds got HUGE thick tons of colas and needs like every branch tied up from so much weight! Image what the weight of that bud WET and still living is!

Also are you doing just one huge grow - start to finish - start to finish - or are you vegging a bunch as your flowering a bunch? I suggest a staggered setup like this because then you have constant smoke, and also the size for vegging needs to be bigger to allow for males. For flowering you need less space because all males are weeded out PLUS you get the added lumenage! :cool:

Lastly. Do you use mylar or other reflectivity such as flat white paint? Also, is smell an issue?

wow thanks for all the advice people. I bought my first batch of equipment. I went with a cool tube with a 1000w hps,, switchable ballast at 120v, can fan rs6 with the can filter 75, i have a 4" ambient fresh air inlet and a floor (flap vent) for inside air inlet, I,m going to use a 5'x5' floor space of my room and add an additional light when I'm not broke again. as for temperatures i haven,t got it running yet, I bought a 70w hps patio light last week and screwed it to the wall near the fllor just to keep a few babies alive, and for the $80 it cost me it's going to be a very handy thing to have, the babies i wanted to "keep alive" are thriving and i've suckered them a couple times so at least a couple of my first plants are gonna be branchy bushes so i think perhaps the 5 gallon pails are gonna be the way to go, I would like to stay organic, I've bought some pro mix hp and some blocks of coco coir, and some bat guano (but for blooms), i need some ideas for good or premium nutrients i can use that will provide a clean burning end product and perferably something that isn't harmful enuff to have to be "flushed out". it's about 1:30 pm, Sunday Sept,7,08 The power is going on, I'm more excited then a kid at Christmas, my wife is laughing her *** off at me, she said she has never seen me stay up working all night for "free" before in her life. I laughed and said "oh, is it night time?" cheers

Latest posts

Back