Hot Ballast.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hertz

Its everywhere. Really!
Reaction score
Hi guys. Kinda noob so go easy on me:eek:

Just set up a small growroom, with a 400watt (240volt) HPS rated at 65,200 lumens. Light is great, but today I noticed the ballast was a little hot and I could smell heat. I have sice moved its position in the growroom so it is in front of the intake air fan, so should receive cool filtered outside air.

Just wondering if this is normal, and if it would be a safety concern, obviously in a confined space, I dont really want my house burning down:eek:

This is the link to the ballast I have. (400HPS)
It states it has inbuilt thermal protection but you cant be too carefull I guess.
http://www.growlush.com/ballasts.htm

Thanks in advance, will try get some pis up of my grow soon. Hertzey.

Ballast do get hot, but it should not burn your hand to touch it.
if you think its too hot call the manufacturer they should be able to tell you if somthing is wrong.

if you have a ampmeter you could test it to see if its pulling the 2.8 amps run amps it says, a sure test to see if its overheating.

Just checked it again, now that its in the intake air stream. Cool to touch, and no smell. Actually seems quieter too. Thanks for the tip Growdude.

keep an eye on it, and test it with a meter. probably ok. the smell might be due to being new.

yeah mine did that too...I called and they said give it a few days...it did cool down and is still warm but have not had any problems..KeepN it GREEN..

I always have a fan on my ballasts. Its said that they actually burn brighter/more efficient when running cool. FANS man, lifesavers.

Latest posts

Back