heat concern: 400watt hps in a closet, solutions?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

r1dawson

Reaction score
i was going to use a 150 or 250 watt setup, because i cant really have an exhaust system for this closet grow. so i am worried about the heat. but i keep reading that if you dont go with at least a 400, you will be disappointed...

it is for 2 or 3 plants, and the closet is about 4' wide x 6' tall x 2' deep.

will a 400watt make this space way too hot? would a 250 be better, and throw significantly less heat? note that i may be able to have the ballast outside of the closet, to reduce some of the heat problem. is there even a very big difference in terms of how much heat a 150 or 250 watt bulb throws compared to a 400?

i can put a fan in the closet but it will have no source of fresh air - for intake or exhaust.

thanks!

I can tell you this.

I'm currently running a 400 watter in a hydrohut 6' x 3.5' x 3.5'(using a cooltube with fan blowing trough it, ballast is outside of the hut) and it gets around 90'ish around the light, mid 80's at soil level. I could however have a stronger intake (which I need to address). I also have a small 6" fan for air circulation.

I'm sure someone will chime in with additional info, and maybe some alternative ideas who is more experienced then me.

However, I'd think at the least, you will have to have an exhaust to let the heat out.

Best of luck brother.

im not positive about this claim but i think the plants need the fresh air to grow to their full potential.but either way,i wouldnt risk the chance of a fire and if you do,i'd be very careful and open the door to it often.thats just my opinion though.and if your growing in a room that your not supposed to due to room mates or what not (besides parents,this is nothin you should be doing in your parents house without them knowing,people get their houses seized doin this thing we all love and enjoy in here),i'd invest in either using a 4 ft flourescent to veg in,or buy/make a small carbon scrubber (do a search on it) or choose a strain that wont smell because with the space your working with (without a constant movement of fresh air,that closets gonna be stankin' if you throw some haze or skunk in there.anyways,hope this helps you out and good luck.

i have a carbon scrubber, and no im not growing at a parents place lol

opening the door while the light is on may be a good route to go, have to make sure i close it in time for the night schedule though, damn could get complicated

lol, (good to hear) you should be fine dude.get an air cooled hood and make sure you dont get all baked out and pass out and forget to shut it. it might get annoying but the buds will be well worth it. good luck

you will have to vent no matter what your lights there is no way around it!

if he doesnt keep the doors to the closet open when the lights on.if he does that then i would think they'd be fine.

i had an apartment that had a storage room and i had 8 plants in there(until my lease ended and i had to cart them 3 at a time in cardboard boxes out to the boonies.talkin about paranoid)and i mean..it was bigger than his little closet but i didnt have a ventilation system goin. i just opened the door a few times a day.(i couldnt leave it open due to the fact i didnt want to stank up my whole apartment and get evicted,but i also didnt have a carbon scrubber either..just good ol scent in a can)

If u can't have an exhaust, this really limits your options. 400 watters get damn hot. You don't want to get much hotter than 80 at the top of your plants. A 250 hps will flower out 2 plants, but they would have to be more of a squat indica. But again those get hot too. Cfl's might be your only option if u don't have sufficient air flow. And keeping the doors open, will loose precious lumens.

aurora indicas might be good.nirvana claims them to be there most potent indica,short and bushy as well

i am running a 400w hps in a 4ft wide x 4t deep x 6 ft tall cabinet with a 6 in can fan exhaust and i have seen temps up in the 80's but not very often. usually in the mid 70''s and that is with a sweet exhaust fan. no exhaust and you are asking for trouble with a 400 watter. Not sure if it matters much but I have a digital ballast as well.

I have a closet, 4'x3'x7' in dimension. I don't have proper exhaust, and until I got an AC unit for the room in which the closet is situated, I always had heat issues. Now, I no longer have problems with heat. As Crazy Horse said, 250 watt lamps can get hot too.

Latest posts

Back