How many of you harvest the plant all at once or cut the top and let bottoms mature?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Relentless999

Reaction score
Title really says all.. Im just wondering if an added week or so would let those lower buds mature and add more weight to the overall yield?

thanks

it works i do it every harvest and i yield more when i do then if i harvest all at 1 time

i too am tryin this wit one my girls as we speak. i cut her tops off the other nite and left the bottom of the plant to finish up. she a very leafy and broad fat leaves too so anythin below the top half any the top cola nugs is light deprived almost completely. so i'll see wat it does for me an her

zipflip said:
i too am tryin this wit one my girls as we speak. i cut her tops off the other nite and left the bottom of the plant to finish up. she a very leafy and broad fat leaves too so anythin below the top half any the top cola nugs is light deprived almost completely. so i'll see wat it does for me an her
i had the same deal with my last harvest and ended up getting a good bit of popcorn bud, so I am very interested. PLEASE keep me updated.

Relentless999 said:
Title really says all.. Im just wondering if an added week or so would let those lower buds mature and add more weight to the overall yield?

thanks

I did notice that when the bottoms are left to mature more based on being too small only, sometimes they were trich mature and needed to be picked. When left too long on the plant because they were too small only, without using the trich colour method for each bud the triches can go too far into amber for me. So look at those triches.

Hi,

I used to harvest the main tops a week or so before the rest of the plant when I used lower wattage hps and mh lights to flower with and it definitely helped the lower buds ripen better but it's no substitute for using LST or pruning to keep more bud sites close to the light throughout the grow. Buds that can receive ample direct light get bigger and develop and ripen much more full and mature. Adding a couple more weeks of direct light to the lower buds will increase the quality and the amount of amber trichs on the previously light-starved buds but it won't add much yield to your grow imho... I do better with some LST, pruning, topping, and some super-cropping all depending on the strains I'm growing, their previous susceptibility to bud rot and what time of year I'm growing due to RH concerns...

Happy Growing!:cool:

Marijuana matures from the bottom to the top. So cutting off the top would mean you're leaving the most mature part of the plant. The direct opposite of what you're trying to accomplish. Or so it seems to me. But what do I know I'm probably stoned.
Good luck and take care.

cubby said:
Marijuana matures from the bottom to the top. So cutting off the top would mean you're leaving the most mature part of the plant. The direct opposite of what you're trying to accomplish. Or so it seems to me. But what do I know I'm probably stoned.
Good luck and take care.
while the branches may be more mature at the bottom of the plant.I believe since the buds start to develop at the same time that they would all be at the same maturity level,Some just smaller than others because of the amount of light they received.I to am stoned but that is how I see it.

cubby said:
Good luck and take care.

hehe, ok then, just cut the bottom of the plant out and keep the top growing! ......wait.....:D

but it's no substitute for using LST or pruning to keep more bud sites close to the light throughout the grow
i too incorporated some dang good lst on the one i clipped tops from but still it is just one leafy lady. even the buds flower to leaf ratio on my 1 particular bagseed girl is almost ugly but she produces hella trich's over her buds and packs a very heavy stone. is only reason i continue to mess wit her.
ive never seen a plant wit so much leaves to her.
http://www.marijuanapassion.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=131885&d=1253623337

and all under them tops the nodes are so close together and so many that its solid bud almost down the whole branch/stem from each top.
aint got a recent pic since i cut tops off her tho. but all below the top canopy was all practically yellow from lack of light for sure imo but in matter of 2 days after cuttin tops she got her natural color in them lower nugs now.

edit: added pic of lower half i left under the tops

Latest posts

Back