How much rockwool

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unseenghost

Reaction score
How much rockwool do you need? What I mean is what is the smallest size to use in a flood and drain? I have tons of starter cubes. Like they are 1.5X1.5 or is that too small?

I'd like comments if any.

they have 4 and 6 inch cubes, you put ur 1 inchers inside of them. space accordingly on ur grow area.

The rockwool is only for something to keep the end of the stem in the dark with a nice moist environment that is beneficial for rooting.

The goal is to have the roots grow out of the rockwool and attach themselves to the hydroton, (or whatever media you use).

My clones are started in rockwool and put into an aeroponic cloner. After 15 days, the roots are already a foot long and I transfer the plants into my ebb and flow system. Once in there, they attach quickly to the hydroton and from there, grow and support the plant nicely.

The 1.5 inch cubes are fine. You *want* the roots to grow outside the cube as soon as possible so that the plant can start growing FAST.

Good luck man!

Sounds good to me. I will have to try things out. I have only two 4 inch grow cubes left but 70+ starter cubes.

unseenghost said:
Sounds good to me. I will have to try things out. I have only two 4 inch grow cubes left but 70+ starter cubes.

In a shallow table drip system, you might need the support of a larger cube, but not in an ebb and flow system. The roots themselves support the plant, just as in nature.

Good luck!

6 in. are a great size for large plants. true sea of green. 4 in

sweetnug said:
6 in. are a great size for large plants. true sea of green. 4 in

If you have to use that size because of the type of system you use, then it's appropriate.

In an ebb and flow system, the media supports the plant as it does in nature.

To use it when it's not appropriate, can cause root rot and even drown the plant. Rockwool has a tendency to hold too much water.

Root Rot can be curbed by less times watering. We all know it holds more h2o

Latest posts

Back