how much watering ?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

charlesweedmore

Reaction score
hi guys.

i grow in 30% coco,30% peatmoss,20% worm casts and 20% perlite mix in 6 litre pots.i have 13 plants and they are 25 days old now.temp is 23 celcius and humidity is %45- %55.

i give about 1 litre for each plant and total 15 litre water for 13 plants. i water 1 time in a week.

is it normal ?

if i transplant my plants to 11 litre pots, i think i will need 30 litre water each week for my 13 plants.

i am asking that because my nutrients will run out soon .

i water my plants until i see little runoff so that i can be sure all soil soaked properly.

is it the right way ?

is the amount of water normal ?

Lets see if i can remember my conversion table right here. 6 liter pot is about a gal and a half and your giving it about 1/4 gal every feeding, and you say that your only watering once a week. that all sounds good to me if i changed anything id really cut back a bit on the watering amount so that the roots can get more air rapidly from more frequent drying cycles. After a few days of sitting in wet soil your plants can slow down growth. The only way we learn is through trial and error, but if it isnt broke dont fix it. If your running low on nutes why not just get more?

I'm at the end of my first indoor, and I eventually could tell when it was watering time by the leaf droop. Out of fear of over-watering--probably the biggest goof anyone growing anything makes--I waited until mine looked really sad. You can only add so much water at the time before it runs over your catch dish. Some plants would take the metered amount and some would run over quickly. To remedy this, I tried pushing the soil around the bucket's edges down to close up those escape holes, and I put only half my 1gallon of water in at a time. I'm in 5 gl buckets and I've been doing a full gallon every 3-4 days since before flowering. I don't think the amount of water is as important as letting the root ball get some 02 by drying completely. Bonez found something dealing with the frequentcy of watering in soil but I haven't had the chance to get over to his shed and read it, only skimmed it. Hey, it was for serious pot growers only, okay? I'm gonna wish some green luck on you.

A soil moisture meter is a good investment, and relatively cheap. I used the "wheight technique" before that, which is pick up container before and after watering (not too scientific I'll admit). Leaf droop is also a decent indicator. Notice everything is geared towards ensuring not to overwater, and if you havent read it yet, I'd read the wet and dry cycle sticky n here.

i wait untill top soil is completely dry and first 1-2 " of soil is dry.
if soil is dry,i water then.

PencilHead said:
I eventually could tell when it was watering time by the leaf droop.

That is exactly how I do it.

I used to do it by lifting the pot up and going by its weight but I found if I let the plant show me it is thirsty by drooping its leaves slightly I knew the roots had been breathing oxygen, I then water it and the leaf droop vanishes within the hour :)

:peace:

Yeah what i have been doing and what i hear is good to do is just wate until the top layer of soild is dry....not too dry just dont over kill it with water you dont want to flood the roots your better off just watering it and once the top layer looks a little dry touch it with your finger to see if its moist or not...use your judgement if it needs more or not.

Latest posts

Back