How to clean.....

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

unseenghost

Reaction score
How to clean hydroton pebbles of all the root material?

Get a hose and spray them down after you have picked most of it out. It is a fairly intensive process so spark a doobie and get comfy. I also know of people that let them soak in a diluted bleach solution afterwards.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was afraid of the fact that it would be an extensive proccess. Oh well. What needs to be done needs to be done.

I just let em dry, then run them over a screen to dislodge the roots, then wash em in tap water and dry. I bought a big enuf bag that I can wait a year or so for them to get good and dry, before recycling them. apparently, they last nearly forever.

I hear from ebb and flow users that hydroton does have a life span. They claim the hydroton looses some of it's ability to hold moisture due to the pores clogging from salts and other debris. Keep in mind this is hearsay...

DLtoker said:
I hear from ebb and flow users that hydroton does have a life span. They claim the hydroton looses some of it's ability to hold moisture due to the pores clogging from salts and other debris. Keep in mind this is hearsay...

I didnt know hygroton held much moisture, but this does make sense for pourous stuff. I dont have a problem with salt build up, but there is alot of root matter that needs to dry and be removed every time I change the hygroton.

I have used the same bag of hygroton for 16 years, most of it several times. I havent noticed any degradation to this point, save the occassional broken stone.

I have a simple process I use for mine. I've done this successfully, many, many times with no problems.

I let the hydroton dry out until all the roots are nice and dry where they'll crumble easy. I have plenty on hand, so I usually wait about a month.

Then I dump it into a big tub and just mix it around gently until all the roots are crumbled on the bottom.

I rinse it and then pour boiling water over them until they're covered good.

Dump it out and let it dry again.

Ready to use!

I soak my hygromite rock in water with h2o2, hydrogen peroxide.

Latest posts

Back