How to fully automate my grow? (Advanced users answer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LegendaryGT

Reaction score
Hey all. I want to fully automate my grow so that I can start getting exact numbers, and begin logging and analyzing statistical data. I want to use this to produce the best quality of buds.

Basic stats:
- DWC
- 25-60 plants
- 2 rooms, one veg with MH and one flower with HPS
- The rest is basic

I need ANY ideas/solutions/aid you have concerning automation. So far, I have determined that I need the following:

- A digital thermometer & humidity gauge with an LCD display. (This will not control anything, simply measure temp and humidity. We will connect this to our universal controller.)
- A continuous digital TDS meter. (This will measure PPM/pH and connect to our universal controller)
- pH probes (Goes with the TDS meter, if they don't have them, or need more.)
- Advanced digital high load timers (To automate lighting, Co2 injection, and feeding Schedules. These are basic timers, however I may not need these if my universal controller is apt enough, any thoughts about this guys?)
- Optional Metering Pumps (These will actually disperse the pH adjuster and nutrient solutions into the reservoir.)

Basically, the goal is that all the sensors/meters will transmit their information to a universal software application that then controls all the actual processes. In fact, I need to make a general list of corresponding processes, i.e. which processes should be linked?

Examples:
- Turn off the co2 when the lights are off
- Turn on the auxiliary fan when it becomes too hot
- Turn off co2 when it becomes too hot or humid

What are some other ones? When is the optimal time for feeding...? With the lights on or off? Because that would be another one.

I see many problems with it truly being automated. Mainly, the fact I don't know of any software that will be able to control all these facets in a price range that's reasonable (I see some going for 2500 dollars). Some are cheaper, but have less features.

What features could I get away with not having fully automated and logged?

I'm thinking if the lights are on their own timer would be fine... Since I will never want the lights being changed automatically. Also, the air pumps will not be automated as they will be on 24/7.

I'm just trying to jot down some ideas and get the gears moving. I really need help on this so give me anything!

Well that's what I mean... I don't want to go crazy with spending. I'm going to be building everything and buying everything as raw as possible. The pricey things will be the universal controller and the various sensors.

So let's say the budget is 2000.

Lights: 500
Seeds: 50
Rockwool: 25
Hydroton: 25
Liquid pumps: 100
Air pumps: 150
Air stones: 50
Cabinet materials: 300 *Includes tubs, mylar, screws, wood, zipper, hooks, etc.)
Fans: 150
Fertz: 100
Thermometer: 60
pH meter: 40
Timers/Power accessories: 50
Tools: 100 (Anything we don't have, but need and can't borrow)

Which leaves 200 dollars for this universal controller. Everything is a rough estimate and could cost more or less, and I haven't listed everything but I think it's a fair estimate. But this universal controller is crucial for automating everything. If I can't find one for under $400 then I will just do a normal DWC, which will bring down the cost of a lot of other things.

Again, if anyone has any advice or answers to my questions, please speak up! Serious answers only please!

buddy... for one thing, IMO... yer dreaming... this is something that a team of people would need to work on to engineer, design and implement... and it would probably take this team months to do the project... and yer estimations on cost... well... let's just say..."yer dreaming"...

almost NOTHING ever goes to plan...

is this yer first grow?... just keep it basic and get at least one under yer belt so that you have a much better understanding of the aspects of this hobby.

it's just my opinion... and after all... I'm just some crazy guy from Vancouver, Canada.... :rolleyes: :cool:

it's like... u wanna grow bud?...or throw money into a pit?....

One day I will do this, I work with industrial automation and have thought about this quite abit.
Main costs for me would be the dosers for PH and nutes because I would use a PLC or programable logic controler.

None of which can be bought for $200 and you would need to know how to program it, wire it and have the software for it.

I would do it just for the novilty but would be handy.

LegendaryGT said:
Well that's what I mean... I don't want to go crazy with spending. I'm going to be building everything and buying everything as raw as possible. The pricey things will be the universal controller and the various sensors.

Cabinet materials: 300 *Includes tubs, mylar, screws, wood, zipper, hooks, etc.)

Which leaves 200 dollars for this universal controller. Everything is a rough estimate and could cost more or less, and I haven't listed everything but I think it's a fair estimate. But this universal controller is crucial for automating everything. If I can't find one for under $400 then I will just do a normal DWC, which will bring down the cost of a lot of other things.

Again, if anyone has any advice or answers to my questions, please speak up! Serious answers only please!

Your not even close on costs your going to need some kind of doser. as well as a controler for all the other functions you would need to automate like CO2/ventilation water levels and height of your lighting.
hxxp://hydroharrys.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/12/products_id/1687?osCsid=24303c6645cfd6f24decdd809e865987

If this is your first grow, and TCVG says, just keep it basic, get some idea of what YOU need to do everyday to care for the plants, cos if for some reason something goes wrogn with all the gadgets and you have to wait 1 - 4 weeks for a replacement, your plants will still need caring for in that time.

IMO making everything automated removes some of the pleasure of growing, but having said that I would be interested in seeing the results and what your findings are.

Good luck!

LegendaryGT said:

You are actually probably a little under budgeted for a "normal DWC", especially if you are going to try and set up 2 grow rooms. Fir instance, I do not think that you can find a quality pH meter for $40 and you also need calibration fluid and pH up and down. I am with the others--I do not really think an automated system is realistic. Start small and learn how to grow. There are a lot of rewards to the "hands-on" approach to growing.

All of you stated that I should grow basic first, and then move up. Don't be fooled, just because I'm new to this site does not mean I'm new to growing. I've got over 30 harvests under my belt.

Vancouver Guy:
I'm currently in university and although my major is not in engineering, I have several buddies majoring in mechanical and electrical engineering. They would definitely be able to help me with the technical side of things. I don't expect them to do anything overly complex, just minor things such as working with the software, integration, etc. I've already stated that there will be more costs and extras and am prepared to go a bit over budget. Thanks for the criticism though, it always helps to be brought down to earth.

Grow dude:
I would love to talk more if your interested in automated grows. If by 'dosers', you mean the pumps that would draw fluid from the nutes and pH solutions, then I had accounted for them under 'liquid pumps'. Perhaps 100 bucks is a bit low, maybe 200 is a bit more realistic as I made need a few.

I understand that universal controllers (PLC) are expensive, as I stated in my first post but I was just wondering how cheap they can go. I've found a decent one for just under $500. The link you provided is good, but there are far cheaper models available if you go looking. Also, I have knowledgeable friends who could help me with programming it, and hopefully I could find some open-source software or freeware that could help me out.

Lastritez:
I've done enough grunt work to have already 'enjoyed' the manual process of growing. I'm looking to further my hobby and I'm really interested to create a database of statistics and analyze that data to figure out trends for optimal conditions. I want to perfect the art of growing!

THG:
I realize $40 is a little low for a high-quality digital pH meter but it's just an estimate, and I can save money if I can get one unit that does pH, temp and nutrients.

I realize that this will be hard to accomplish but I like to entertain the idea. This will be a small-time grow op in commercial terms, but rest assured, this is for commercial purposes. If it wasn't for lack of space, I'd be going a lot bigger.

Perhaps people were confused by my post count, but I am not a beginner, so any concrete help would be awesome! Criticism is good too I guess. Lets me get both sides of it... but I'm going to have to pull the trigger soon on how I want to do this. I want to get the seeds germinated by mid-December.

right on, man... ya sound like ya know what yer getting yerself into :aok:

good luck, man... although... I'd be a little worried about all my "college buddies" knowing about my grow... but, if ya got it covered... all the power to ya, man... i'm sure everyone here would be eager to lend their support.... :cool:

LegendaryGT said:
Grow dude:
I would love to talk more if your interested in automated grows. If by 'dosers', you mean the pumps that would draw fluid from the nutes and pH solutions, then I had accounted for them under 'liquid pumps'. Perhaps 100 bucks is a bit low, maybe 200 is a bit more realistic as I made need a few.

I understand that universal controllers (PLC) are expensive, as I stated in my first post but I was just wondering how cheap they can go. I've found a decent one for just under $500. The link you provided is good, but there are far cheaper models available if you go looking. Also, I have knowledgeable friends who could help me with programming it, and hopefully I could find some open-source software or freeware that could help me out.

Do you have a link to the "pump" that you are talking about?

Do you have a link to the PLC for $500? I would like to see what kind your looking at.
With a PLC you need to have the right I/O and I dont know of one that can input PH, thats why you need the doser.
It monitors PH and adds the proper amounts of PH up or down needed to the feed water.
Also your PLC needs to be able to handle the analog inputs such as temps.
most all have temp. input modules that will snap into the rack.

Here is a picture of a PLC project from my work. This just uses 2 basic I/O cards, relay out and 24v input.

Medhoseplc.jpg

the problem is $$$, those automated injectors are pricey, but if you get the nutes balanced correctly, I think you can go 1 month between checking/adjusting, that said, I've lost crops to various disasters over the years when I left for more than a week or so :(

the real issue isnt ppm, that is fairly easy to predict and alter with addition of water on a set timer, but ph can be a real hassle unless you have it stable, very very stable :hubba:

I once had my res so stable that I didnt need to adjust for 6-8 months, got complacent and almost killed another crop :rolleyes:

I almost bought the controller [shown in a thread here somewhere] I think it was hanna instruments :aok:

Weezy said:
Damn man...I spent $150 on ventilation for my 400 watt, 120 for a cab, 140 on seeds, etc etc...jesus I must be throwing money in a pit if someone thinks they can do a two room setup for what is stated...hah.

And letting all your college buddies know all this...cmon man wake up

I stated the estimated costs in my second post, you don't think any of them are close?

What I'm saying is the $150 6" Vortex that I have is (although overkill for me) not enough for a two room setup. I spent almost half of the $2000 on my personal 400 watt cab...that is organic.

I just do not see it feasible unless we have a different opinion on what a "two-room setup" is. Hell, I guess I could buy all the DWC stuff and another cab and put them in two different rooms and call it a two room setup and get it all around $2000 but it sure wouldn't be automated. I just cannot picture something costing around $2000 that would be that big and do everything automated so you just sit there and pay the elec. bill.

On a side note: I do enjoy spending time with my "hobby" and giving all the TLC I can but then again im a "hands-on" kind of person. I like to do everything myself without much assistance with labor

It also bothers me that this "setup" would cost only $40 for seeds...unless you start very small and work up. It just seems to me that a legit setup would hope to incur more of a variety of seeds...

No need to have a variety... bag it and tag it and send it out the door.

I understand 2000 is low for this kind of setup, but I would be willing to go over budget like I said if it was a good deal. I have built quite a few cabs in my day, so we'll see if this one proves to be different but I should be able to do a good but basic DWC setup for under 1500 that includes a veg room and a flower room.

And I need more posts before I can post links! This sucks!

bud... just keep relying to your own thread... it will be done fast... no one's gunna complain if you drag on yer own thread.... :rolleyes: ;) :D :cool:

u know, buddy... the more I think about it, the more this whole idea of yers sound really interesting to see if you can pull it off...

I am thinking about a possible problem for you, however...

you say you want to fully automate it, but to what purpose?... I mean... did you not want to have to visit the grow yerself to do these things yerself?... I find, that is the joy of this hobby... doing all this stuff all the time, as you are rewarded for your efforts with good smoke... but, nevermind me...cuz I was thinking... how are you going to automate the system to notice deficiencies on the plant and when to correctly increase nute strength for maximum yield/potency... mind you, if you wanted to automate all the "normals", but still were active in the grow all the time, you could change all your variables as needed... yet, that seems like a hell of a lot of work as compared to changing as said variables as needed.

quite a lot to think about with your project... (I'd turf the idea myself....)

Custom Automated Products already sells full greenhouse controllers. The only thing needed would be a pH controller from Hanna and you need a massive resevoir for the pumps they make. They do not have a small cc injection set-up yet. I run a XGC-1 with universal modules for the lights and fan so I do not overload a circuit. The only thing I have to do in my room is adjust the pH.

Latest posts

Back