HTG Supply

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BoneMan1000

Reaction score
Hey folks, I haven't posted in a while because I've been waiting out the summer to start my first grow in the cooler weather. I'm really psyched about getting started with all the great information/ tips/ tricks you guys gave me.

I recently discovered that there's an HTG Supply store about 4 miles from my house. There's only eleven retail store locations in the whole country and one of them happens to be near me. Cool!

I was thinking I would still order the big stuff (tents, lights, filters, etc.) through the mail but I could buy soil and other replenishable resources in person like fertilizer etc.

Does this seem like a good strategy, or would you just acquire everything mailorder? It doesn't seem like shipping heavy or liquid items like soil or fertilizer makes much sense. It seems like it might cost as much for shipping soil as the soil itself.

It doesn't seem like too many people would be purchasing tents to grow tomatoes, but soil makes sense that an ordinary homeowner might have a need for, but I guess my ponytail and red eyes will give me away anyway. :icon_smile:

Actually, I just missed you guys and wanted to check in. :yay:

If i was able i would buy it all in person at HTG Supply. jmo

dman1234 said:
If i was able i would buy it all in person at HTG Supply. jmo

Hey dman, that surprises me. You think it would be more stealth to buy in person? I wonder if the prices at the retail store are the same as the online prices?

Thanks.

BTW, do you think six Serious Seeds AK-47s (feminized) are enough to get started, or should I start with twelve? Thanks.

Well i guess it depends on the store, i go to a hydro supply store and buy things and never think twice, its up to you i guess.

6 fem seeds should do you just fine to get started, good luck.

dont worry boneman, i get the same anxiety when i visit my local garden center(they have a small hydro section). i always think who in their right mind would believe a 26 year old guy is actually stopping by because he just loves to grow tomatoes in his free time LOL.

i've realized, no 1 really gives a crap. your just another customer coming to the store and buying a bunch of crap. i bet the 8$/hour cashier wouldn't even be able to give a accurate description of you, if asked to 1 hour later.

ShOrTbUs said:
dont worry boneman, i get the same anxiety when i visit my local garden center(they have a small hydro section). i always think who in their right mind would believe a 26 year old guy is actually stopping by because he just loves to grow tomatoes in his free time LOL.

i've realized, no 1 really gives a crap. your just another customer coming to the store and buying a bunch of crap. i bet the 8$/hour cashier wouldn't even be able to give a accurate description of you, if asked to 1 hour later.

lol ShOrTbUs, I'm sure you're right about that. And why would a business want to bite the hand that feeds them. It's just that it seems so obvious to anyone with half a brain that I'm going to be growing weed, and I am! LOL I couldn't even imagine any store personnel asking what I planned on growing cause it would be so obvious lol, but they shouldn't give a damn unless they're police department plants (no pun intended).

It's pretty funny when you think about it, but it wouldn't be very funny if you got busted. If a person is paranoid maybe they should be :). Thanks.

dman1234 said:
Well i guess it depends on the store, i go to a hydro supply store and buy things and never think twice, its up to you i guess.

6 fem seeds should do you just fine to get started, good luck.

Oh great, good news on the 6 seeds. Thanks dman.

I live in a non-mmj state. I feel far, far safer ordering everything on line. The local LEOs have been KNOWN to park near the hydro place in unmarked vehicles and take license plate numbers. Use caution and discretion if you are in a non-mmj state.

AK-47 is quite odorous--make sure that you can deal with the smell.

The Hemp Goddess said:
I live in a non-mmj state. I feel far, far safer ordering everything on line. The local LEOs have been KNOWN to park near the hydro place in unmarked vehicles and take license plate numbers. Use caution and discretion if you are in a non-mmj state.

AK-47 is quite odorous--make sure that you can deal with the smell.

Hi THG, that's lousy that LEOs do that, sorry to hear. And yes, my state is anti-MJ. Do you order soil and chemicals online too? Do you think it might be less attention drawing to buy soil and fertilizer from Home Depot or the like?

I didn't know that about AK-47. Maybe I should go with Larry OG Kush instead? I was attracted to AK-47 because experts say it's easy to grow and has a good yield. I'm trying to do everything in my power to have a successful first grow. Thanks for the alert!

I basically just stay away from the hydro/grow stores. I do buy my base soil and any organic nutes they carry from Home Depot. When I am doing hydro, I buy nutrients in gal size. I can actually get a better buy on GH nutes on line than I can from the hydro store. I have been running organic for several months and got some of the stuff online. I live about an hour away from any kind of shopping, so when I am deciding whether to go to "the big city" to buy something or to get it online, I also consider my time and what it costs to get to town.

Okay THG, thanks again.

Yes, time plus the cost of gas nowadays.

No comment on the Larry OG Kush? :D

I just got a new T5 from HTGsupply . . . a 2'x2' TekFour PL-55 . . . . just as I was told, its a great light for veg !!

I also just lit the bubble machine with a free lighter they sent along :vap-Bong_smoker:

. o O (thanks THG ;) )

Here in my town the LEO set up a surveillance camera across the street from the hydro store... their excuse was to try and catch people breaking into cars around that area but the camera was only pointed at the hydro store.

BoneMan1000 said:
Okay THG, thanks again.

Yes, time plus the cost of gas nowadays.

No comment on the Larry OG Kush? :D

I have not grown Larry, but everyone here who has tried it has loved it. It is hard to go wrong with a Kush.

Dan K. Liberty said:
I just got a new T5 from HTGsupply . . . a 2'x2' TekFour PL-55 . . . . just as I was told, its a great light for veg !!

I also just lit the bubble machine with a free lighter they sent along :vap-Bong_smoker:

. o O (thanks THG ;) )

Congrats on the new toys Dan. I'll be getting some T5s from HTG too: the 6 lamp unit for a 2 x 4 veg tent.

The Silver Bullet Special said:
Here in my town the LEO set up a surveillance camera across the street from the hydro store... their excuse was to try and catch people breaking into cars around that area but the camera was only pointed at the hydro store.

That's sucks man, sorry to hear. Big Brother tyranny. Thanks for the heads up though!

Okay THG, sounds good. I'm glad I now know about AK-47 being odorous. Thanks.

If you are looking for a real nice "daytime clear headed" smoke, My bro and I have been growing Barney's Farm Pineapple Chunk with much success. Pretty easy to grow, real solid yeilds of buds that look like the old pineapple grenades from WWII, and about the same size. Real smooth old school flavor. Flowering smell is a bit odorous but very "flowery" smelling.

I am also growing some LarryOG. I popped 4 beans about 5-6wks ago and now I am seeing 2 boys, 1girl, 1 still not sure. Really looking forward to flowering these guys :) If you get the Larrys, you will want to get about 6-10 beans as they don't offer them femenized. :)

Thanks for the suggestion Hushpuppy.

It seems you can get Cali Connection Larry OG Kush feminized, or is this a mistake?

hxxps://www.cannabis-seeds-bank.co.uk/cali-connection-larry-og-kush-seeds/prod_233.html

BTW, I had a thought: if these grow shops are getting people busted how could they stay in business? Even if it was just the cops hanging around who would even go there? Lets face it, most of the gear they sell is designed for marijuana growing, and everyone knows it. You would think that if people were getting busted word of mouth would sink these businesses.

Thanks again Hushpuppy.

Actually, Larry OG does come in fem seeds--available from Attitude, for one.

Latest posts

Back