hydro grow

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

octobong007

smoke-alotta-pottamus
Reaction score
well, 4 ladies were cloned and after developing about 2 inch roots and never getting droopy (clone rate has been 100%), they were veggied for a week and a half then dropped into flowering. i'm using a few cfl's at the second, and their looking really good i think. 2 days after flowering started showing a hair or two. its been a week into flowering now so i thought i'd throw a pic in. only training was cropped once. nutes are the bc-starter kit, cheap and has everything for a few months, of course i have different grows going on plus experiment stuff too. their on 12/12, ph is 6, no hydro store ANYWHERE near me, so instead of ordering i used reflective christmas wrapping, notice the cute snowflakes. i know i'll probly get flamed for it, but hey...its my grow and i'm just a simple kind of person. i know i'd be doing better with a 250 hps, but at the second, too many hands in my candy jar and finances aint so great. the temps i'm running is about 85-88 right now, but i like it a little warm, not like i have to water anymore than i do, its on 3x/day. any suggestions is always appreciated. have a great/green day.

Image007.jpg

I can't really tell what type of system you've got going there man.

I think it's a drip? In soil? (What type of soil mix?)

What are you feeding them with?

What age was the host plant?

Was the host plant a confirmed female?

Is this a bagseed grow or did you buy some seed?

Stoney Bud said:
I can't really tell what type of system you've got going there man.

I think it's a drip? In soil? (What type of soil mix?)

What are you feeding them with?

What age was the host plant?

Was the host plant a confirmed female?

Is this a bagseed grow or did you buy some seed?

dont know what to call it, my own set-up...cross between flood and drip i guess.

no soil, pea gravel surrounding rockwool, the black on top is plastic to stop light from touching any medium. but have a couple air pumps in the resevoir to produce o2 for the roots to get frest air between feedings.

http://www.htgsupply.com/viewnutrient.asp?nutrientID=23699160 this is what i've been using for the past 3 months on hydro and soil plants...have had a couple harvests so far, been doing great.

the "mother" of these plants was havested, rejuvinated, then harvested again. clones were taken just after rejuvied...and definately female. hopefully i'm not jinxed in saying this, but have yet to have one seed, i take ALOT of time with my all my ladies to ensure NO MALES.

bagseed...no. a very trusted friend ordered seeds about a year ago, white widow, he only used 6, and gave me these after i practiced on "scrappy" plants...while watching what everyone does on here...including you, so everytime i light up now, cause i DONT buy anymore, i exhale in ya'lls direction for thanx. i cant bring myself to buying any around here, my stuffs better...and i have an ego due to that...and it shows ;-)
now i do want to go hps at some time and would like to find out in comparison to my cfl's...what kind of heat does a 250 put out in an enclosed container 6'x2.5'x2'...my hydro box. all my soil plants do wonderful so dont need any improvements there.

octobong007 said:
don't know what to call it, my own set-up...cross between flood and drip i guess.

no soil, pea gravel surrounding rockwool, the black on top is plastic to stop light from touching any medium. but have a couple air pumps in the reservoir to produce o2 for the roots to get fresh air between feedings.

A flood grow would fill the root area with water, and I don't see that with yours. I do see a standard drip system setup. Using the air pumps isn't really necessary with a drip grow. The plants get all the O2 they need between feedings with the ambient air supply, but it's sure not hurting anything to do as you are. It'll keep your nutes mixed well anyway.

It sounds like you've got your grow under control man! I look forward to seeing your next harvest pics.

Good luck!

i'm not sure too much bout drip systems other than they drip, mine flows...i might even be giving them too much in a way i guess, but as the pic shows, no drooping or anything...and their bushing out BIG time, i might have to make a "tomato ring" of some sorts to keep all my branches neat. and i've already cloned off those 4...should be ready in 4 days now, then they'll go into soil...which i'll clone off those to go back into hydro. if my tomato ring idea works, i might double my plants in that system, and instead of using the same plastic lid, i'm thinking of cutting out a wooden lid to accomodate the weight it'll produce...time will tell.

octobong007 said:
i'm not sure too much bout drip systems other than they drip, mine flows...

As long as you have adequate drainage and the plants aren't sitting in water for extended times, it's all good. The rate at which a drip system provides water is referred to as the "flow rate". Most growers use as little as possible because in a vegetable greenhouse, the combined amount can be as much as Thousands of gallons per/minute. Restricting the water to as little as possible translates into real dollars saved.

In your case, you've got a drip system that is set to a fast flow. If relating your system to a drip/hydro professional, that's the terminology you'd want to use.

It sounds like you've got the "Growing Bug"-hehe

Good luck to you!

one quickie question, do ya think the pea gravel would be too tight of a medium? plants look healthy and all, just think they'd be a bit bigger, although i did only veggie for one week and dropped to 12/12. would the pea gravel stunt the growth a little? opinions?

Hey Octo, everything looking good.... The pea gravel might be a little tight.... no chance of getting any hydroton around you? or another option... get some lava rock that they use in gas grills, not the bricquettes but the actual rocks and break them down to size..... nnot sure if it would be optimal but if no hydro store around.... would be an option.

i'm gonna have to look into that, great idea. i just cant bring myself to buying online and paying ALOT in shipping, especially for a $5 bag of clay pellets, the shipping alone is over 20 bucks. plus lava would be light weight...gonna have to wait till next go around cause the roots aint gonna cooperate changing out medium and all. thanx ya'll, wouldn't be doing this if it weren't for this site, so big thanx to marP also.

Yea, shipping can be pretty expensive on rather cheap items like that, heh. and I do not like ordering myself.... I had to bite the bullet and do it for my HPS light though... local wormsway wanted aobut 400 beans for one... I got one for 139 heh.

just wanted to show off a present one of my ladies left me, its a start! this is soil, not hydro...and used t-5's on a rejuvinated plant...ok, so i'm stoned.
edited: thats a 6 inch planter beside it.

bud.jpg

Latest posts

Back