hydroton ph

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Smokey Mcpotster

my bone marrow is resin
Reaction score
What should the ph of the runoff be after going through hydroton? I did a test with 5.6 ph distilled water and rinsed hydroton, no plant. I got a reading of 6.7 after it ran out the drain hole. That seemed high.
I have 7 plants that have been in mini hempy cups for a couple of weeks.( I have a grow journal that I will update but I've been without a computer for 2 weeks.) They have had some issues with heat and other noob mistakes, but I think the ph is to high. Their growth is slow. I will post some pics later or tomorrow. I have done a couple of searches but I didn't find any info. Any ideas anyone?

are these new? im soil but i read that you should rinse them well..someone will chime in soon that will help..Here hold this :bong1: untill they do

I rinsed the hydroton in a 5 gal bucket with a ton of holes in the bottom and sides. I let it dry for a couple of days. I rinsed it till the water was clear. I'm going to rinse the batch again and see if I get anymore residue out. I haven't used it all yet.

Yo Smokey!

How's the mcpot smokin? :rolleyes: I used to grow with hydroton and a mix of hydroton and coco coir for many years and I found that rinsing all the dust off until you get runoff is clear is important and you've got that handled... I also found that pre-soaking them in a bucket of ph balanced water to condition the ph of the hydroton helped me stabilize the ph much better. I was having lots of reservoir ph fluctuations with a GH Aquafarm bucket system and conditioning the clay pebbles made all the difference.

And I gotta say it... god I HATE those things! lol... I can't tell you how many I've stepped on... OUCH! :p Even years after using them I still see them around... I used them up for drainage in my outdoor flower pots and they work great but I'll be outside walking around barefoot and OW! ....another hydroton pebble.

Peace!:cool:

Thanks Dirty- I lied. I use a vaporizer. :D Thats been getting used quite a bit lately.
Just bad timing for me or the seedlings :p . The last 2 weeks I've been working every day, no computer, poor girls have suffered.
Thanks for the tip on conditioning. Those little f'ers do hurt when you step on em. lol
I'm not giving up. I am rinsing the hydroton again and I am going to soak it first then transplant tomorrow. These may just herm anyways. But In a week I will have more time and I'll start some more. Hopefully I can leave a bud on the plate with the cookies for santa. :hubba:

Latest posts

Back