Hydroton question.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
So it's going to be my first time and I've decided to go with the hydroton stuff, which is basically baked soil pellets I've heard. I'm going to be using the hyrdoton with my new little hydro system. I modeled mine after ones I've seen on the internet made of the heavy duty tup-a-ware box with the plastic screen pots that will hang into the box and when it's done it should just be suspended a few inches above the water I guess.

So here's my question!!!!!!!!!!!

When I start this whole project should those plants that are going to be resting in those pots be able to reach into the water already? How would I go from a seed to a full grown plant in the hydro system?

off topic a little bit: make sure you rinse the heck out of that hydroton...

the water should run clear when you pass it through the pebbles..I soak mine in pH'd water overnight...
if you don't, it will mess with the pH...

blameitonthelaserbuds said:
When I start this whole project should those plants that are going to be resting in those pots be able to reach into the water already? How would I go from a seed to a full grown plant in the hydro system?
Start your seed in a peatpod,rockwool, rapid rooter or similar thing. Once it sprouts and you see roots bury the pod/cube in the hydroton in net. Water from the top till roots hit water. That's how I did it in DWC set-up and it worked just fine. cmd420 is correct on the rinse..and rinse..and rinse some more!

The hydroton picks up and holds moisture like soil...I watered a bit from the top till the roots were long enough to enter the water/nutrient solution...

I top water my dwc a couple of times in order for the roots to follow the water. But mostly I raise the level of my nutes to the bottom of the net pot, once roots reach rez I lower nute level. I like an air space of nothing but roots between net pot and nutes

Latest posts

Back