i figure this about lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Flyinghigh

Grow Pretty Flowers
Reaction score
Hi everybody.!! Question about lights go on and off and yes it a power surge that causes the problem..
Can this power surge in 18 hour light on cause my plants turn male every time, that the last 2 grow.?
I am getting ready to restart my grow of hydro.!!

Hi there Flyinghigh .
I presume you are using regular seeds and all of your plants during the last 2 grows have been male plants ?

Personally i have found that if you can offer your seedlings a stress free environment and extremly pleasant conditions you do and will increase your chances of gaining female plants !

I am doing my absolute best during my current grow and have been given 6 female cheese plants as of today yet i started with 6 regular seedlings as well and they were 3 year old seed stock .

Do i think that your lights may be lowering your female ratio's ?

Ummm yes possibly to a degree !
But for 2 grows and have all males is extremely unlucky !

I hope things can improve freind !
Good luck . THC !

no ...light disruptions in veg has no effect on male/female

TwoHighCrimes said:
Do i think that your lights may be lowering your female ratio's ?

Ummm yes possibly to a degree !
But for 2 grows and have all males is extremely unlucky !

I hope things can improve freind !
Good luck . THC !

If that unlucky that my seeds r male seeds, then the nice round ones with wiggly line's ain't the ones I need the plant. I always start with 12 seeds and usually have about 4 male to yank out.
So my next grow I am puttering in some CFL'S lights for this so those lights can come on faster then my other system Mh/hp. That take up to 15 min. To come back on when power surges.!
Ty

4u2sm0ke said:

No u don't think so.? I can have power surge 2 to 4 times a day but it not everyday though and my cable box tells me that it has surge.
Either way I am putting a few CFL's in there to hopefully solve the problem on next grow.
So hurry up Xmas get over. That where I am keeping the present at for the kids from Santa.

lights going off randomly wont effect plants in veg. unless the lights go out for more then 10 hrs at a time. which would trigger your plants to begin flowering. other then that no effect whatsoever

I also don't believe it will cause problems in veg.

to be perfectly honest if power consumption is not an issue for you. you should really be running your lights 24/0 for veg

Anybody had this issue before.? I see a lot say it won't hurt while in veggie but when ready to show sex, it seems they turn male.
Well I am going to just throw in different shape seeds and see what happens again, and take notes & pix as they r growing

No the power not a issue either now, as I am saving in electric with a wood stove.

4u2sm0ke said:

:yeahthat:

4 males out of 12 is a pretty good ratio if you are using regular seeds, I see no problem.

Flyinghigh said:
Anybody had this issue before.? I see a lot say it won't hurt while in veggie but when ready to show sex, it seems they turn male.
Well I am going to just throw in different shape seeds and see what happens again, and take notes & pix as they r growing

No the power not a issue either now, as I am saving in electric with a wood stove.

I don't have power surge problems, but I live in an area that has a lot of power outages. I do not believe that disruptions in the veg lighting can contribute to more males. The shape of the seeds have nothing at all to do with them being male or female. Sometimes, we just have a run of bad luck. I recently got 4 out of 5 female Satoris, Hemper Fi recently got all males--it happens.

Why are you having power surges?

ShOrTbUs said:
to be perfectly honest if power consumption is not an issue for you. you should really be running your lights 24/0 for veg
actually a rest period is beneficial whether it be 18/6 or 20/4. the reason being that roots grow faster in the dark. the light period is used for storing energy through photosynthesis and since the plant doesnt need to convert light into chlorophyll at night it can divert its resources towards the roots

hxxp://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/hardtoget/lyr/index.html

applepoop911 said:
actually a rest period is beneficial whether it be 18/6 or 20/4. the reason being that roots grow faster in the dark. the light period is used for storing energy through photosynthesis and since the plant doesnt need to convert light into chlorophyll at night it can divert its resources towards the roots

hxxp://www.treedictionary.com/DICT2003/hardtoget/lyr/index.html

That falsehood has been put to rest a long, long, long time ago for mj.

Many researchers have suggested that sex in Cannabis is determined or strongly influenced by environmental factors.

Schaffner, J. H. 1931. The fluctuation curve of sex reversal in staminate hemp plants induced by photoperiodicity. American Journal of Botany 18(6): 424-430.

Ainsworth reviews that treatment with auxin and ethylene have feminizing effects, and that treatment with cytokinins and gibberellins have masculinizing effects.

Ainsworth, C. 2000. Boys and girls come out to play: the molecular biology of dioecious plants. Annals of Botany 86(2): 211-221. Retrieved on 24 February 2007 hxxp://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/86/2/211

Environmental cues such as fooding, drought, chilling, wounding, and pathogen attack can induce ethylene formation in plants. In flooding, roots suffer from lack of oxygen, or anoxia, which leads to the synthesis of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid (ACC). ACC is transported upwards in the plant and then oxidized in leaves. The ethylene produced causes nastic movements of the leaves.

Spinach plants raised under water restriction displayed a male-biased sex ratio while plants raised under sufficient water conditions displayeda more even or female-biased sex ratio

hxxp://www.academia.edu/1789755/Biased_Sex_Ratios_in_Plants_Theory_and_Trends

so in conclusion under watering can lead to more males in dioecious plants
another factor is ethylene production will lead to more females making supper cropping an excellent way to get a female plant.

applepoop911 said:
Many researchers have suggested that sex in Cannabis is determined or strongly influenced by environmental factors.

Schaffner, J. H. 1931. The fluctuation curve of sex reversal in staminate hemp plants induced by photoperiodicity. American Journal of Botany 18(6): 424-430.

Ainsworth reviews that treatment with auxin and ethylene have feminizing effects, and that treatment with cytokinins and gibberellins have masculinizing effects.

Ainsworth, C. 2000. Boys and girls come out to play: the molecular biology of dioecious plants. Annals of Botany 86(2): 211-221. Retrieved on 24 February 2007 hxxp://aob.oxfordjournals.org/cgi/reprint/86/2/211

Environmental cues such as fooding, drought, chilling, wounding, and pathogen attack can induce ethylene formation in plants. In flooding, roots suffer from lack of oxygen, or anoxia, which leads to the synthesis of 1-aminocyclopropane-1-carboxylic acid (ACC). ACC is transported upwards in the plant and then oxidized in leaves. The ethylene produced causes nastic movements of the leaves.

Spinach plants raised under water restriction displayed a male-biased sex ratio while plants raised under sufficient water conditions displayeda more even or female-biased sex ratio

hxxp://www.academia.edu/1789755/Biased_Sex_Ratios_in_Plants_Theory_and_Trends

so in conclusion under watering can lead to more males in dioecious plants
another factor is ethylene production will lead to more females making supper cropping an excellent way to get a female plant.

:confused2:

What does your post have to do with lighting?

Dude, PCduck and I don't usually agree on things but this has me scratching my head. This post has nothing to do with lighting... I think you need to reread what you wrote.
I see flooding, drought,temperature, and so on but not one thing about lighting.

applepoop911 said:
read the above discussion

I would highly recommend the same for yourself:doh:

AluminumMonster said:
Dude, PCduck and I don't usually agree on things but this has me scratching my head. This post has nothing to do with lighting... I think you need to reread what you wrote.
I see flooding, drought,temperature, and so on but not one thing about lighting.

il try to find what i can about lighting but in the mean time i wanted to help the guy out on what environmental impacts affect male:female ratios. did u find any of the information helpful at all?

The info is useful just not applicable to lighting. For most, enviromental factors affecting male/female ratios is common knowledge. Not to say that new growers aren't in need of the info, just that it should be posted in a more applicable area of the board.

Latest posts

Back