i figure this about lights

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
ffects of Temperature and Length of Day on the Sex Expression of Monoecious and Dioecious Angiosperms

R. G. THOMAS

Department of Botany, University College, Nuffield Botanical Research Garden, Nuffield Lodge, London, N.W.1. April 12.

IT has been demonstrated1 that production of female flowers in Cucurbita pepo is delayed when plants are grown in high temperatures and during long photoperiods. Previous investigations indicated a similar effect of temperature and length of day on the sex of Ambrosia

Stress related sex problems may produce
hermaphrodite plants. The stress of what is
sometimes called "early flowering" (it is not
really early flowering, there is no such thing
as early flowering. We will explain this in a
moment) triggers the plant into a situation
where it thinks that its chances of
reproduction are slim to none. That situation
is a condition called - 'self-pollination'. It
does this by producing both male and female
flowers on the same plant. The male flowers
then pollinate the female flowers which will
eventually produce seeds. The reason for this
is that the plant notices that the photoperiod
is irregular and that it should no longer be in

the vegetative cycle but in flowering. This
shocks the plant into a last ditch effort to
receive pollen because it feels that it has
missed its chance to receive pollen already (in
the wild males release their pollen just around
the time that females begin to flower and
sometimes even before that).

.dmt-nexus.me/Files/Books/General/Cannabis20Grow%20Bible.pdf

AluminumMonster said:
The info is useful just not applicable to lighting. For most, enviromental factors affecting male/female ratios is common knowledge. Not to say that new growers aren't in need of the info, just that it should be posted in a more applicable area of the board.

and honestly iv heard both sides of the coin in regards to environmental effects on plant sex ie alot of people think stress such as bugs mold over watering etc causes males. now none of those things are good especially the pests and mold but over watering once or twice and super cropping will facilitate auxin production that will lead to a higher ratio of females. and rarely ever will you see someone on a grow forum site there sources because as you say they just want everyone to assume its common knowledge

I too have heard both sides ie sex is predetermined while the seed is being made, and of course, the enviroment affects male/female ratios. In my opinion the enviroment affecting the sexual outcome is more logical. The fact that all cannabis carries the hermaphrodite trait just kinda proves this. Stress can cause a female plant to start producing male parts, and perfect conditions can prevent the hermie trait from appearing. This shows us that enviroment can/will affect sexual make up.

AluminumMonster said:
I too have heard both sides ie sex is predetermined while the seed is being made, and of course, the enviroment affects male/female ratios. In my opinion the enviroment affecting the sexual outcome is more logical. The fact that all cannabis carries the hermaphrodite trait just kinda proves this. Stress can cause a female plant to start producing male parts, and perfect conditions can prevent the hermie trait from appearing. This shows us that enviroment can/will affect sexual make up.

and the fact that studies have shown the environment determines the outcome is further evidence. there have even been studies of how far a seed has traveled and by what ie tree, wind , insect , bird, having an effect on plant sex in dioecious plants

Rosebud said:
dioecious plants? What are they?

cannabis is a dioecious plant. in dioecious species, each individual has reproductive units that are either merely male or merely female.

applepoop911 said:
cannabis is a dioecious plant. in dioecious species, each individual has reproductive units that are either merely male or merely female.

I don't beleve cannabis falls under that catagory.

Rosebud said:
I don't beleve cannabis falls under that catagory.

Male-associated DNA sequences were analyzed in a dioecious plant, Cannabis sativa L. (family: Moraceae), which is known to have sex chromosomes.

hxxp://pcp.oxfordjournals.org/content/36/8/1549.abstract

applepoop911 said:
Male-associated DNA sequences were analyzed in a dioecious plant, Cannabis sativa L. (family: Moraceae), which is known to have sex chromosomes.

hxxp://pcp.oxfordjournals.org/content/36/8/1549.abstract

Thanks Mr ****. i learned something.

Latest posts

Back