I flunked decarbing!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
R

Rosebud

Hi guys,
I don't know how many of you make medicine, but if you do I thought you might want to know what i learned today. I had some tincture tested, some pennywise tincture. The results were that half the thc hadn't been decarbed and TWENTY % only of the cbd was decarbed.
I learned that you need to decarb high cbd strains at 290 for 30 min to do cbd. THC decarbs at 250-300. I decarbed at 250 and that was wrong. The lab worker is very nice and told me to cook the tincture at 290-300 for 30 min and send him another sample. Wish i would have known that before...duh.

Also i sent in all my cbd strains so if you have umbra's and my valentine crosses, we shall know soon.

Stay tuned.

Wow!
I've been doing it wrong a long time.
I always decarb'd at 200F for 30 min.
Tomorrow ill try it again with higher temps.

Thanks for the update Rose, Guess I been doin wrong too...I usually go 250 for 40 or 50 minutes...

Wow!
I've been doing it wrong a long time.
I always decarb'd at 200F for 30 min.
Tomorrow ill try it again with higher temps.
If you are doing weed with just THC and low Cbd you really should do it 245degs F for 45 mins
Goods friend of mine spent a lot of time and money doing lab tests and those were found to be the best decarb for almost full activation of THCA into THC
CBDs will only go to about 75% conversion from CBD to CBDA hard to get any higher % than that
This has all been confirmed using lab testing numerous times.
Also be aware one can decarb in a glass mason jar as to keep the smell down,

Last edited:
Hi guys,
I don't know how many of you make medicine, but if you do I thought you might want to know what i learned today. I had some tincture tested, some pennywise tincture. The results were that half the thc hadn't been decarbed and TWENTY % only of the cbd was decarbed.
I learned that you need to decarb high cbd strains at 290 for 30 min to do cbd. THC decarbs at 250-300. I decarbed at 250 and that was wrong. The lab worker is very nice and told me to cook the tincture at 290-300 for 30 min and send him another sample. Wish i would have known that before...duh.

Also i sent in all my cbd strains so if you have umbra's and my valentine crosses, we shall know soon.

Stay tuned.
Thanks so much Rose! This is just the info that I needed to know. Update us on the new results :)

it must be a fine line between decarbing and vaporizing the thc and cbd. i was making killer brownies for quite a while but i didn't like that they came out a bit gooey so i started cooking them longer. i was cooking at 350 deg f. the buzz seemed to be getting more hyper and less relaxing. last batch i made i cooked at 300 deg f for about an hour. these brownies are back to how i liked them. seeing the lab worker recommending 290-300 rung a bell for me. thanks for the info rose. btw-i don't decarb before making my butter and never have so i think the decarbing is done during the baking portion.

according to this table, cbd vape temp is lower. i know i can't believe everything i find on the internet though. i don't really trust that my oven is super accurate either. it just looks to me like <350 but >284 is where acid conversions take place but before the point where compounds we like are vaporized.
vaporizing-temperatures.jpg

So then, did you still have large amounts of THCA and CBDA? This would pretty much preclude you from using sous vide as a decarb method wouldn't it?

what is sous vide? And yes, lots of the A was still on the cbd and some on the thc. Because i use MCT oil, we are able to decarb it again on the top of the stove and we will run up there again tomorrow, I guess. bummer.

I was amazed that they could see the parts that were decarbed and the not. Also, i need to decarb less at a time with a thin layer, not big buds, as the outside gets decarbes but the inside of the nug doesn't.

So... i humbly come to you and say don't believe anything anyone ever tells you .
First the good news but not great news:
PennywiseV: is about 1:1 6% thc and 7 %cbd
Fanks gift: 6 thc 9 cbd that is great.
The bad news the CBD crew I crossed with V, ZERO CBD 18 %thc
Harley tsu.... Zero CBD

So there you have it. no 25 to 1, no even 10 to 1... But now i know what I have and what i will grow. Just 2 out of the 5 I bred. I didn't run the Blueberry V as I was out. The other good news is the penny and franks are stopping seizures in our nephew at the above dose. So if anyone thinks they have a high cbd strain, let me know. ha

This whole thc:cbd thing is somewhat confusing to me...and compounded even more because there are so many phenotypes of each strain...kinda like a box o chocolate...(what Forrest Gump said) so if you find something I guess you need to clone it...personally I don’t have the space or resources to keep a mother if I actually found one worth keeping...so I grow seeds that promise or at least suggest high cbd...I’ve only found a few that gave me what I was looking for(a muscle relaxing high) that I could feel and identify...I think my first grow of Harlequin CBD was the one but I have grown it since and didn’t get that...don’t know how that BlueberryxValentine measures but it is one of my favorite smokes....got three girls going right now so I hope some of it does what I want...I’d love to have the room and wherewithal to find and keep a great mother...
We keep on growin...

I always kinda figured 25:1 was a whole lotta optimistic. Kinda like every 30%thc strain I've tried. Glad to here those numbers though because my pack of Franks gift is sitting on the shelf and I have been eyeing it for my friend with the stroke history. He is prone to having seizures at night.

Sous vide is basically a water bath. Hackerman talked about it some a while back. You put the bud in a freezer bag or seal a meal and heat it in water to decarb it. They are using this method on some of the cannabis cooking shows they have on. However, as boiling water does not get over 212F (less at higher altitudes), it doesn't seem like it gets hot enough to do a proper decarb. I was really liking this method as it does not dry out the bud (and doesn't smell u the house if that is a concern).

This is incredibly valuable information, Rosebud. We are all probably leaving a bunch of THCA and other cannabinoids unconverted. I will be decarbing differently from here on out. You say in your first post that only 50% of the THC and only 20% of the CBD were converted....so do the percentages you listed in post #12 include THCA and CBDA or only the THC and CBD that was converted? Is V valentine? Is this a high CBD?

I am considering growing 1 or 2 high CBD hemp plants this summer. While hemp growth is legal in Oregon, there are fees and growing on a small scale is not economically feasible. Apparently though, I can grow hemp plants if they are included in my legal/medical cannabis plant count.

Hi thg, I was told the valentine was 25 :1 cbd. I was told Franks gift was 20 to 1... both are not true. And yes the lab adds the non decarbed and the decarbed to get the total.
We need to check our ovens that they are at the right temp. Mine was not. We now are the proud owners of 5 thermometers. Mr Rb was pretty ticked that we weren't producing what we thought we were. thus 5 thermometers. The good news is what we have been using has stopped the seizures in our little nephew.
I want cbd from cannabis not hemp, just a prejudice of mine.

THG, or anyone else, do you know where I can get a hemp seed or three? The neuro just got my tests results for the medicine for the 7 year old. In texas it has to be 3% or less. I gave him a lecture on cannabis vs hemp, but i figured i could cross breed? Can you? Of course, i think.

Oh and if any of you got the cbd crews indica V cross, it is 18 % THC only. pretty nice smoke.lol

I do know someone who is going to grow hemp this summer and I was going to ask him if he could sell me a few seeds. I'm sure they will order seed by the pound.

Or, I just remembered....someone here from Colorado had their garden pollinated by (they believed) hemp. As I remember, it was a female grower and she said she had tons of cannabis/hemp seeds. The cross already done! I had thought to get some seeds from her, but forgot about it til just now. My only question would be whether the hemp was high CBD hemp. I don't know much about hemp, but was under the understanding that some hemp is higher in CBD than others.

With your test results, I am thinking that a hemp/cannabis cross or simply growing hemp and mixing with cannabis may be the best way to go about getting CBD. Figure I could make my own custom blends.

I do have some Candida, a strain that is supposed to be 20:1. I would be up for getting some tested and contributing it to your nephew's medicine if it actually is high in CBD. Where did you get yours tested and how much was it?

Last edited by a moderator:
It was 50 bucks a test. I tested my tincture and 5 strains. I got it tested in Yakima. I googled cannabis testing and the area code. Probably the best 300 bucks i ever spent. I put it off for all these years. Thanks for your help.

Latest posts

Back