I Have A Question I Need Answered

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

whiterussian

Reaction score
How long will hermie pollen stay active, does it ever die?? or does it stay good for a long time, because im afraid i have hermie pollen everywhere, i think i see some in some weird flowers on the bud and around the house because right before we chopped it i brought it to the other room, ive moved it around the house a dozen or more times since i started flowering, what should i do, i have 8 plants vegging in the same tent i had the hermie i just harvested, and there all feminized seeds, but there not mature yet please help :confused: :confused:

note: i only found about 7 seeds so far, i cant find any in the bigger buds but i see small flowers on the outside of the buds, so i think its hermie

Water kills pollen, pollen is microscopic, you never get rid of it all.

Be more careful next time ;)

HIE is usually right, but i heard that pollen is capable of fertilizing for about 2 weeks once out of the sack, please correct me someone if im wrong.

JBonez said:
HIE is usually right, but i heard that pollen is capable of fertilizing for about 2 weeks once out of the sack, please correct me someone if im wrong.

i hope so, because my plants will be ready for 12/12 in about a month and i hope all the pollen is useless by then

JBonez said:

I think your both right... You can STORE pollen for quite a long time. I think your right about the limit being two weeks just being around though. I would clean your room the best you can, but don't stress.

NewbieG said:
I think your both right... You can STORE pollen for quite a long time. I think your right about the limit being two weeks just being around though. I would clean your room the best you can, but don't stress.
cool so after 2 weeks the pollen is no good????? so i dont need to stress out on this whole hermie issue because i got a month till i change to 12/12

In order to store pollen for long periods of time, it is important to remove as much of the water content in the pollen as possible. Store the pollen in a glass jar or vial, avoiding plastic bags, which can breathe and are not the best for long-term storage. To reduce the water content in the pollen, place some desiccant in the bottom of the container. Instead of using one big packet for all of your pollen, place the pollen in small packets so one packet can be removed quickly without disturbing the unused pollen. I try to put enough pollen in each packet to pollinate a single plant. Write the species name and date stored on both sides of the packet so you can tell later on how old the pollen is.

Once I cap the vial, I place it in the refrigerator for two days. I do not place it directly in the freezer because the pollen's moisture content is too high; water expansion can rupture the pollen and render it unviable. Once the pollen has been in the vial for at least two days, and as long as the paper packet has had enough breathable area, moisture content will be reduced enough for you to put the vial in the freezer. Once the vial is in the freezer, the pollen should be good for years. I have found that pollen will stay very fresh for at least three years. I know one person who used pollen that had been stored for six years and got a good seed set. I have been told that if pollen were to be stored in liquid nitrogen, it would stay viable forever. Of course this method is not practical for most people. If you collect pollen on separate occasions, but eventually want to keep the pollen in the same container, it is best to store the newer pollen in a different vial and go through the same process in the refrigerator. Once the new pollen is desiccated, the newer packets can be quickly placed in the original container. When removing packets for use, it is important to minimize the time that the vial is open because the pollen and packets can reabsorb moisture. This is another reason to use several packets instead of removing a small amount of pollen each time from one larger packet. Once you remove a packet, use the pollen as soon as possible.

The bit your interested in is .....
Pollen loses viability quickly at room temperature and even faster at higher temperatures. Pollen can stay viable at room temperature for several days

You asked if pollen ever dies and how long can it stay active.

:aok:

As ive stated, I had a hermie pop on me on my first indoor grow, then my next grow got pollenated pretty bad from loose pollen about 2 months latter, then the following grow also got pollenated at least 2 more month latter.

The second time there were only a few seeds found.
All of my following grows were seed free.

So under the right conditions the pollen does last longer than 2 weeks.

thanks guys, im no fan of misinformation, i thought i read that somewhere, too bad pollen doesnt die within minutes of being released, that would be perfect!

i had a plant that produced a few seeds and she was in flower with 3 other ladies and none of the 3 had 1 seed in them.lucky i guess.i just never saw that the plant had hermied.she was a sneaky btch.lol

HippyInEngland said:
In order to store pollen for long periods of time, it is important to remove as much of the water content in the pollen as possible. Store the pollen in a glass jar or vial, avoiding plastic bags, which can breathe and are not the best for long-term storage. To reduce the water content in the pollen, place some desiccant in the bottom of the container. Instead of using one big packet for all of your pollen, place the pollen in small packets so one packet can be removed quickly without disturbing the unused pollen. I try to put enough pollen in each packet to pollinate a single plant. Write the species name and date stored on both sides of the packet so you can tell later on how old the pollen is.

Once I cap the vial, I place it in the refrigerator for two days. I do not place it directly in the freezer because the pollen's moisture content is too high; water expansion can rupture the pollen and render it unviable. Once the pollen has been in the vial for at least two days, and as long as the paper packet has had enough breathable area, moisture content will be reduced enough for you to put the vial in the freezer. Once the vial is in the freezer, the pollen should be good for years. I have found that pollen will stay very fresh for at least three years. I know one person who used pollen that had been stored for six years and got a good seed set. I have been told that if pollen were to be stored in liquid nitrogen, it would stay viable forever. Of course this method is not practical for most people. If you collect pollen on separate occasions, but eventually want to keep the pollen in the same container, it is best to store the newer pollen in a different vial and go through the same process in the refrigerator. Once the new pollen is desiccated, the newer packets can be quickly placed in the original container. When removing packets for use, it is important to minimize the time that the vial is open because the pollen and packets can reabsorb moisture. This is another reason to use several packets instead of removing a small amount of pollen each time from one larger packet. Once you remove a packet, use the pollen as soon as possible.

The bit your interested in is .....

You asked if pollen ever dies and how long can it stay active.

:aok:

Thanks man, and im still lost here your quote says 1 week room temp the pollen stays active, but growdude says months?

I dont want to mislead and I know Hippy does not either, not much to do about it but clean up anyway and learn first hand.

If you want to tell when the bud gets pollenated look close at the two white hairs coming from the caylax, when it gets pollenated the 2 hairs will shrivel and brown, of course other things can cause the same thing but if you look close you can tell, later the caylax swells with the seed inside.

Good luck guy.

Latest posts

Back