I have never cloned before, help

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
****-dog said:
Thanks! My cubes only soaked for a couple hours before I even inserted the clones. I mist them twice a day. I have actually used some toothpicks to make some legs for the cubes. So the roots have about an inch to hang down before they touch the plastic. They are looking great so far.

A couple of hours is all I've ever done.

I saw that you got the cloning gel, did you also get the cloning solution? I've only used Clonex gel and Clonex rooting solution. Mild mix of nutes and when mixed, gets the Ph just right for the rockwool, around 5.6 or so, whatever it calls for. If you didn't get it, I'd snag some. Very important to use both in conjunction with each other.

Olivia's or Clonex, I doubt if it matters, or if there is any real world difference between the 2. Clonex is what I used 20 years ago and is a known quantity for me.

You may want to check into a bit of perlite.:D The toothpicks will work:holysheep: , but if you start doing more clones at once, may become problematic.:shocked:

DD

:holysheep: It worked!! 11 days and roots. Only misted once or twice a day. Roots probably actually showed a day or 2 ago. Great success!!!

How long can they "chill" like this. I would like to wait a couple days until planting?

thanks

lll.png

mmm.png

nnn.png

OUTSTANDING!!!

Yes, they can chill for a few days till you're ready to plant. I do the same thing.

I'd quit misting so that they can harden off a little bit, but keep an eye on them.

I also take them outside for a little sun to harden them off. No more than say an hour, early morning or late afternoon sun only.

This is REALLY a 'feel' thing and can toast the cuttings real quick, so you may want to hold off on this till you do a few more.:hubba:

Good job.

DD

Well fail! 24 hours later and they look like this. Haven't changed anything. It was kind of warm in the room today. Could this be from lack of water? The cubes are pretty light and dry. Should I try and add a tiny but of nutes to the mist? I can plant them into dirt asap if that might help. They looked flawless everyday until today.
:confused:

qqq.png

Just use PHed water no nutes those plant are just dehydrated(?)To is my undering standing that with rockwool you have to water 2 or 3 times a day It does not hold water so there is no water available for the plant to use so it uses the stored water it has. Water and mist til the plant perk back up then transplant. Let them recover before shocking them again.

Green Mojo for a quick recovery

Yep, they look dried out.

Soak the cubes and give them a mist and I bet they perk right up.

No Fail, but you do have a lot of leaf on there. I usually trim the big leaves back to about 1/2 size. They don't transpire as much water that way and can still utilize the light.

DD

yeah like ozzy said after they perk up TRANSPLANT they dont "chill" well in dried out rockwool cubes

LOL These computers are so helpful, and at the same time a pain in the butt.

My Bad. When I said to stop misting to harden them off, I also should have added that you still need to keep watering/feeding via the rockwool. Dried out rockwool is a no no, so is constantly saturated rockwool.

Dunk em, when they start to feel light, dunk em again. That might be once every other or third day when the clones are first started (no roots), to maybe twice a day when you have good roots but haven't transplanted yet.

Again, it's a feel thing. Get used to the feel of a fully saturated cube vs a dry one and you'll be able to tell when it's time to water when the cube starts to get light.

I totally submerge mine (just the cube, not the cutting too), in a bucket with my cloning solution. Like a manual ebb&flow. They will be fully saturated in a matter of seconds. Then, let the excess drain and back into their container, under the light.

DD

Thanks, I did trim the lower leaves but left the middle ones untouched. I noticed after a bit that I should have trimmed the middles also. I just didn't want to further mess with them after the where already in the wool.

you shouldnt panic they sinply look dried out.

a big drink should fix em.

if they were in a dome, they needed to be hardened, and may have came out
to fast. ya gotta ease em out if the dome is really humid.

They are still pretty pissed off but the smaller one is def looking better.

****-dog said:
They are still pretty pissed off but the smaller one is def looking better.

Pissed off and alive will work.:hubba:

You just learned something and the girls didn't die, so, good on you.:watchplant:

Most of the learning involves screwing up.:D Hopefully, you can learn without killing too many plants.;) ;) ;)

I've killed plenty, and not just smoke. :holysheep:

The more you know what NOT to do, the more you know WHAT to do.:D :D

You're doing fine. De Nada in spanish, "It's nothing".

DD

Yea I agree. They are not dead but they are very, very, angry at me. It is totally my fault too. Oh well, this is my first attempt and overall I am so far satisfied with the whole process.

Here is an update of the mom and the clones as of today. 9 days into flower. All cfl and T5 grow.

jmhngb.png

jkjkjk.png

ghghgh.png

I planted the clones today. The lower branches blew off during plating / misting once planted. Will post some pics once I feel they have taken off.

Thanks again for everyones help!

Latest posts

Back