increasing females

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

imager777

Reaction score
Has anyone ever heard of these, and how credible are they? I've heard that the birth control pill thing was a myth... probably why the world population is so high. It makes me suspect of the other ones.

I got this from another site; but there was no author listed, so I won't post it.

PERCENTAGE OF FEMALES
From different sources it appears that the growth of a male or female plant from seed, except for the predisposition in the gender chromosomes, also depends on various environmental factors. The environmental factors that, according to different sources (possibly also anecdotic), influence gender are:
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]a higher nitrogen concentration will give more females (at the three-pairs-of-leaves stage and continue for two or three weeks).
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]a higher potassium concentration will give more males (at the three-pairs-of-leaves stage and continue for two or three weeks).
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]a higher humidity will give more females (at the three-pairs-of-leaves stage and continue for two or three weeks).
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]- a lower temperature will give more females (at the three-pairs-of-leaves stage and continue for two or three weeks).
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]more blue light will give more females (at the three-pairs-of-leaves stage and continue for two or three weeks).
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Fewer hours of light will give more females (at the three-pairs-of-leaves stage and continue for two or three weeks).
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]In later stage, as you increase the light, the plants grow faster and show more females/less males. Sixteen hours of light per day seems to be the best combination, beyond this makes little or no appreciable difference in the plant quality.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Another idea is to interrupt the night cycle with about one hour of light. This gives you more females.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Spray dilute Fish Emulsion ( 1 tablespoon per gallon ). When the plants have three sets of true leaves, plus the top sprout, give them a wetting spray of Fish Emulsion. Do it once a day for three or four days. Top and bottom of the leaves.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]To achieve 100% female plants is to expose young seedlings for several hours to an atmosphere of Carbon Monoxide. It doesn't hurt the plants, but it could kill you.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]Treatment of hempseed with ethylene gas will increase the resulting number of female plants by about 50%. Ethylene is produced by certain plants (i.e., bananas, cucumbers and melons), and these can be used to treat hempseed in a simple manner. About two weeks before you plan to sprout the seeds, place them in a paper bag or envelope and put that in a plastic bag with the peels of a ripening banana or cucumber. Replace the peels after a couple of days, and change the bags to prevent mould.
-[FONT=&quot] [/FONT]When hempseed is treated with the female hormone oestrogen, percentage of females that are produced will increase by about 10%. Dissolve a birth control pill in water and soak the seeds overnight in the solution. After the initial soaking, continue to treat the seeds by sprouting them on a paper towel soaked in the solution.

I think the temps (holding them down to around 76 degrees) will give more females. I got better than 50% last spring. I read that in a book. This year my temps are staying in the low 70's for my seedlings (will be interesting if I get even better female/male ratio). I am also holding the light at 14 hours, hope that helps too. Will be hitting them with some Grow Big in a couple weeks, that has lots of nitrogen. Very interesting bout the use of gasses from vedgies to make more females, I might try that.

Friend-of-a-friend said:
I think its all B.S.(or at least the vast majority of it).

I agree with the B.S. on birth control pills...thats right up on top with Pissing on your Plants for the "N"..lol..

clanchattan said:
start your seed in a container that is deep enough to support the tap root without curling it. this does promote more female plants. 6'' deep at least.

this I do agree with. If the taproot gets rootbound early, your chances of a female go down.....good post.

Latest posts

Back