Intake and Exhaust fan question

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Type_S150

Reaction score
I have (1) 6" Vortex powerfan vtx600, this is a 449CFM fan. I also have (1) 6" Hydrofarm with a 400cfm rating. Here are a couple quick questions-

1. Is the 6" Vortex big enough to exhaust a room that is 9.5' x 5.5' x 9.5'?

2. Should the bigger fan go on the intake, or the exhaust side?

3. Do I need different fans?

IMO use the big fan for exhaust and use a passive air intake.
i would think the big fan should work fine for that size of room.
9.5 x 9.5 x 5.5=496.375cf. so your changing the air in the room
once just over a min. I would go with just the one fan, if my math is right.
Just got done smokin one though.:hubba:

framingman001 said:
IMO use the big fan for exhaust and use a passive air intake.
i would think the big fan should work fine for that size of room.
9.5 x 9.5 x 5.5=496.375cf. so your changing the air in the room
once just over a min. I would go with just the one fan, if my math is right.
Just got done smokin one though.:hubba:
Thanks for the input- You think a 4" for intake would be fine? I think its only around 150-200cfm or so, or is that too big too?

It's just my opinion but I don't think you can have too much intake or exhaust. It's all about cool, fresh air. After all we are tryin' to re-create God's handiwork.

:yeahthat:

Hi,

I'm with usandthem... It's better to have too much than not enough. Those fans sound fine for that space to me. If you already have them around give them a go and see if you have any shortcomings. It all depends on many variables. If you have a/c in the room and you don't rely on the intake to pull lots of cool air into the room to help keep temps regulated, all you need the exhaust to accomplish is a fresh air exchange to keep enough CO2 present for good growth. If you have lots of temp issues and need to get lots of cool air into your room through your intake all the while pulling heat out of the room it's going to be much more demanding of your exhaust setup.

I'd try to set up the system with a 'worse case scenario' approach making it beefy enough to handle the worst months summer heat. The stronger fan should always be the exhaust fan and use the lower cfm fan for the intake. During the summer heat you'll more than likely have to run both your intake and exhaust fans and at 100% to *hopefully* keep things cool. Have you ever heard of or used a 'Speedster Motor Speed Controller?'

//www.controlwizardproducts.com/proddetail.php?prod=FA206#

These gizmos sell for only about $24 and they are very useful when used to control your fan speed for precise air exchange/temp adjustments. I have a 2 x 4 x 8 closet with a 1K hps and a 6 tube t5 fixture for sidefill lighting and it takes a hurricane(uh... Eclipse;) ), to keep things cool in there... I have a Eclipse 630cfm inline fan and most of the year I use a 4" passive intake. I pull air through a carbon filter hung high in my closet, then through my 1K cool tube and then up through a hole in the ceiling of my closet in a 6' piece of rigid 6" duct to my Eclipse that I have hung on rubber straps on roof joists in my attic. This helps minimize vibrations and a little bit of noise from the fan.

Summer heat and humidity is my biggest challenge. From the end of May til usually around now (waiting for humidity to go away SOON!) I have to use A/C and run my Eclipse at 100% and I use a 200cfm inline duct fan to feed cool air into my 4" intake from a box I built around my window a/c unit. In the cooler, less humid months (any day now;)) life is much easier. From fall until spring I can lose the a/c and the intake fan and just use a passive intake to keep temps happy and I can also start dialing back my Eclipse fan speed on the Speedster, depending on how cool it is in my bedroom adjusting the speed to exhaust the right amount of air for the desired temp.

Good Luck!:cool:

Speedster.jpg

Latest posts

Back