IR lighting, need it or no

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I remember IR being the new thing a few yrs back but now not so much
I am not sure if the commercial growers are incorporating it into their schedule either.
I know some LEDs were using an extra IR in the center of the LED bulbs that worked on a different timer. IRs were used for only a few hrs a day.

I saw a thread on these a few months ago. Had magnetic side lighting with IR. Remember researching them and deciding against them for some reason don’t remember why. It is an interesting concept tho still…. Most of my grows have been successful without them but you never know…. Interesting question

I remember guys using reptile warmers for extra IR but the results never really showed much gain.
I am reading that new LED diode lamps have a few built in them now.
IR is naturally produced in nature.
I did try the reptile bulb and it was more of a pain then worth.
There are different kinds of IR too one is the good kind and the other not so good
There is an IR-A and IR-B I can not remember which wave is the one for plants.

Last edited:
Much better UV outside I think…😁

actually my experience with higher UV was outdoors

we had a huge grow at 4200’ feet and another grow with the same plants , but it was at 10,000’ up in Phantom Canyon

the UV at 4200 would be like 5-6 while at 10k it would get up to 8-9

the plants at 10k were covered in trichomes , visible to the naked eye , like someone sprinkled powdered sugar on them

while the plants at 4200 had about half the coverage

same genetics , clones , same nutrients and soil

i have photos on my old PC that i need to recover

I saw a thread on these a few months ago. Had magnetic side lighting with IR. Remember researching them and deciding against them for some reason don’t remember why. It is an interesting concept tho still…. Most of my grows have been successful without them but you never know…. Interesting question
Yea, they sound like a pain in the ass.

Yea, they sound like a pain in the ass
actually my experience with higher UV was outdoors

we had a huge grow at 4200’ feet and another grow with the same plants , but it was at 10,000’ up in Phantom Canyon

the UV at 4200 would be like 5-6 while at 10k it would get up to 8-9

the plants at 10k were covered in trichomes , visible to the naked eye , like someone sprinkled powdered sugar on them

while the plants at 4200 had about half the coverage

same genetics , clones , same nutrients and soil

i have photos on my old PC that i need to recover
thank you for that.

Yea, they sound like a pain in the ass

thank you for that.
They have UV T5 tubes meant for reptiles in most pet stores. I have toyed with the idea of getting one but haven’t yet. I have some T5 10000 kelvin bulbs with UV that I have used but no good comparison like big’s experience.

The really good UV lights are regulated these days thanks to the tanning industry. There used to be what looked like an incandescent flood light you could buy cheap that would give you a sunburn in minutes. Those would be the lights to add UV to a grow room. When I started the once a year caribbean vacations I started looking but couldn't find one. Now about the only lights available are reptile lights with so little UV you couldn't get a tan sleeping under it. Only way to pre-tan and avoid getting sunburned is to use a tanning booth.

The really good UV lights are regulated these days thanks to the tanning industry. There used to be what looked like an incandescent flood light you could buy cheap that would give you a sunburn in minutes. Those would be the lights to add UV to a grow room. When I started the once a year caribbean vacations I started looking but couldn't find one. Now about the only lights available are reptile lights with so little UV you couldn't get a tan sleeping under it. Only way to pre-tan and avoid getting sunburned is to use a tanning booth.
When I was looking at the reptile lamps, they came in ‘5.0’ and ‘10.0’ which I think means one has double the UV. I am not sure I would want to blast my plants with a light that would sunburn me in minutes. Might be too much and sunscreen probably tastes lousy when used as a foliar feed…😁

Latest posts

Back