is it ok to reuse "old dirt"?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

emuman

Reaction score
like the title says
I have aprox eight 2.5-3 gallon containers full of soil from a previous grow, and I'm am trying to be frugal however none of my clones seem to want to take after about a week they start to turn yellow
I was wondering if maybe it was because the "old dirt"

I wouldn't reuse recycled dirt, Dude. Too much has gone on with that soil to expect it to do its job agaio. Just my opinion and knowledge from what I've read.

it prob still has nutes from the previous grow which the clones cant take in...

I have re-used in a desperate situation, flush the hell out of it, and add nutes like you would if the soil were a month old. veg nutes if your veggin. Treat it like a soiless mix, because you have flushed everything out. Be sure to PH test also. But I would recommend buying new if you can swing it!

legalize_freedom said:
I have re-used in a desperate situation, flush the hell out of it, and add nutes like you would if the soil were a month old. veg nutes if your veggin. Treat it like a soiless mix, because you have flushed everything out. Be sure to PH test also. But I would recommend buying new if you can swing it!

my current grow is reused soil and i just germed some sour d seeds probably going to be growing them in reused soil wont have money till i work next week

legalize_freedom said:

first my wife(a non smoker) wont allow me to be a "serious grower"
she wont let me buy new soil while I still have all these full pots

2Dog said:
it prob still has nutes from the previous grow which the clones cant take in...

second as for nutes all i use is miracle grow

btw I'm not whipped

emuman said:
first my wife(a non smoker) wont allow me to be a "serious grower"
she wont let me buy new soil while I still have all these full pots

second as for nutes all i use is miracle grow

btw I'm not whipped

Time for a new wife.......she won't let you spend $18 for two bags of soil?

Time to throw the soil out and go DWC ...

You're whipped by mary jane then?lol What kind of miracle grow do you use? I am curious. For veg and flower..

legalize_freedom said:

:yeahthat:

I was told dirt is depleted of the nutrients specific to the type of plant that grew in it, so what farmers do is cycle the plants that they use in their soil. Each type of plant lays claim to certain nutrients so if you use the soil again on the same type of plant it needs what has already been taken... so you have a basic soiless growing media(that happens to look like 'soil'), that needs more nutrients than a plant in new soil would. You can flush it well to get the flowering nutes out and the start with a new plant and veg nutrients like you would, but probably more often with the nutrients. It will need more nutrients thruout the life of that plant in the old dirt. By the way not stronger, just more often. I've done it. Nutes are expensive, dirt by comparison is way cheeper. ya know?

Or you start composting what you have and adding 'amendments'. There are tons of posts on the organic section on conditioning soil, and they could help you fix yours.

I re-use past soil, I mix it 50/50 with new soil and I find the old soil aids drainage.

:peace:

I re-use my outdoor garden soil every year. However, I always add amendment several times during the off season and mix thoroughly. This last year my amigo brought me some alpacca? **** that was pretty composted. I am not sure if that's what did it but my GDP cross had a stem as big a a baseball bat and 2.6 lbs dried bud. Best ever.

omnigr33n said:
You're whipped by mary jane then?lol What kind of miracle grow do you use? I am curious. For veg and flower..

for veg I use regular MG "All purpose plant food"

for flower I use MG "Bloom Booster flower food"
I dont really notice a difference between the two(both have 15-30-15)
but I got them as a "garden starter feed kit"

Latest posts

Back