is my clone ok?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OregonGrownBud

Connoisseur
Reaction score
A few of them have been doin this the past few days. Are they ok:confused:
i cut them on the 10th.

1020011556.jpg

1020011557.jpg

1020011557a.jpg

Brown is never good, on leaves i mean:) Did they have a dome or in a draft that dried them out ?? I once watered my clones with some bad water and got the same result.

dman1234 said:
Browning is not good, what was the metheod of clonning?

Right before i threw them into flower i took some cuttings, then i placed the rockwool in a container of water (ph 6.7) for a few seconds then i diped them in ROOTECH original cloning gel and placed them in the rockwool then put the dome over and under some flourencent lights. i mist every couple hours. or if i notice the leaves are dry.

Sounds about right, same as i do. my ph is slightly lower but other than that, perfect. Maybe marijuana goblins? Sorry:) No idea but may green mojo smile on you:D

Did you cut those clones from the tops of the donor plant? They look very big and thick stemmed, that can be a problem sometimes. It's best to take cuttings from lower on the plant and from stems that are thin and soft. Cuttings taken from the top of the plant have a lot more upward growth hormone in them and that makes it take longer to change over to rooting hormone (even when you add rooting hormone).

Also, when you take cuttings from thicker stems of the plant, it is far harder for the plant to produce roots through that tough stem material. Not saying it can't be done as I have done it myself with success, but it took way longer and the plants nearly died before they finally threw roots. The longer it takes for them to throw roots, the more susceptable to dying they are.

It seems counter-intuitive to take cuttings from weak and spindly little branches from the bottom of the plant, with just a few little leaves on them, but that is actually the best place to take them. When that cutting has a bunch of strong growth on it, it actually gets caniballized for feeding the root building process. That is why they so often look so bad just before they take off growing again.

You may also have a ph issue as I understand that rockwool has to be treated prior to using to get the ph right or it will keep pulling the ph off. Not sure what that process is as I have never used it. I would check the water coming off the cubes to see if the ph is way off. If it isn't off then I would cut off all of the leaves on the cuttings except for the top 2 leaves, and (this is my own personal preference, others disagree with this method) I would get some superthrive or ThriveAlive and make up a weak solution for foliar feeding.(I do this with all of my clones and it works very well. I spray them twice daily for their first week then once daily until they have lots of root growth) Unfortunately it may be too late for them, but I wouldn't give up until they are done for. :)

Hushpuppy said:
Did you cut those clones from the tops of the donor plant?

I tried to take them from all places of the plant top and bottom. and i took them from multiple plants.

And thanks for the information ;) i never knew it mattered where to cut it from. ill try your idea of some superthrive, also not all the clones are doing this. but all of them do have a little bit of yellowing.

I would lower my pH more when using rockwool..like around 5.5 is what I strive for when soaking

i would say drop the ph to 5.5, ph is always around that when ur using rock wool or any hydro type medium and i always cut the ends of the fan leaf right back on my clones cause it always ends up yellowing if i dont. i would trim back the yellow bit, let the plants concentrate on throwin roots out rather on trying to repair damage. jmo!

good luck!

mr_medi_bud said:
i would say drop the ph to 5.5, ph is always around that when ur using rock wool or any hydro type medium and i always cut the ends of the fan leaf right back on my clones cause it always ends up yellowing if i dont. i would trim back the yellow bit, let the plants concentrate on throwin roots out rather on trying to repair damage. jmo!

good luck!

Good to know :).

And thanks hopefully they turn out fine.

pcduck said:
I would lower my pH more when using rockwool..like around 5.5 is what I strive for when soaking

Alright, should i adjust the ph of the water i mist with to 5.5 also?

Aww, your askin for trouble talkin that ' misting' talk here:p

Just watch

well, on baby clones i guess its ok but everyone who brings up misting/foliar feed gets ......well,.....lots of opinions why they should'nt LOL

my batteries in keyboard are dying or i would explain

oh ok good. and yea i dont foiler feed. my plants do just fine without it:cool:
ill have to look around and see some opinions on why people say you shouldnt tho

IMO foliar feeding is unceccesary but misting clones is completelly necessary.

OregonGrownBud said:
Alright, should i adjust the ph of the water i mist with to 5.5 also?

No. Actually, you should have soaked your rockwool in water pH'd to 5.5 before you planted as rockwool is alkaline. You do not want the pH of your water to be 5.5. I do not pH the water I use to mist clones. The basic reason for pHing water is to facilitate nute uptake. IMO, it is unneccessary to pH water for misting (unless foliar feeding for a deficiency).

The Hemp Goddess said:
No. Actually, you should have soaked your rockwool in water pH'd to 5.5 before you planted as rockwool is alkaline. You do not want the pH of your water to be 5.5. I do not pH the water I use to mist clones. The basic reason for pHing water is to facilitate nute uptake. IMO, it is unneccessary to pH water for misting (unless foliar feeding for a deficiency).

damn i set the ph to 6.7. can they still survive?
and thanks for the info:D

Time will tell. I know some people who never soak their rockwool and have no problems. The clones are looking a bit sickly, but they could pop roots. I do not give up on clones until they are brown and crispy.

mr_medi_bud said:

good luck!

I always wondered if trimming the tips only when you get a bit of nute burn on a larger ,mature vegging plant would be beneficial in the same way it is with clone leaves. or should it be left alone to grow out itself?

AND any improvement with the clones or still the same?

Latest posts

Back