IS my grow box too hot?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

theCre8or

Reaction score
Creating a new post for this question I asked as part of another..

My growbox is about ready.

I've just begun germination and I am testing the box.

(4) 2600 lumen CFL in the box. WIth the exhaust fan running, the interior of the box is 83 degrees F. The room outside of the box is 74 degrees F. That maybe means each bulb adds about 2.25 degrees of heat. When there are 12 bulbs, it stands to reason that the interior of the box will be 101 degrees F. Does that reasoning make sense? Is that too hot? Do I need to think about a more powerful fan? Of course, it's almost 90 degrees outside today, and that's bound to change soon, it's mid October. Still the basement is a pretty consistent temp throuhout the year.

THanks

I have a small exhaust fan. Should I add another exhaust fan, or can I add a fan inside the box? I get a feeling that the lower part of the box is cooler, so putting a CPU fan in the bottom pointing up may help circulate the cooler air up near the grow area which I have elevated to be up against the light. I could also lower grow area and lights and see how that changes the temp. Hmm I'll try that before buying something else. I know the fans are cheap but I've already spent more than I've expected to.

about 18 hours into germination in soil....

get just a small fan you can like stick it to the hood of your box and that holds it no assembly needed and just point that thing right at the lights maybe two of them if can fit, they have them at mostly all grow shops ...........what strain you growing?

Thanks guys

I"m growing Jock Horror from Nirvana, well hopefull I am. 24 hours into germination.

I should just take some pictures so you guys can see my grow box... The problem is my crawlspace door swells in the heat and I can't get in th

The box has interior dimension of 19"x19" by 46". It's got 1/8" hard wood panels as walls and a 1/4" plywood top. The top has a square cut out at rear right for a small True Air fan to sit (14.99 at Target). http://www.shopping.com/xPO-Hamilton-Beach-Hamilton-Beach-04530-True-Air-Plug-Mount-Odor-Eliminator
The intake on that fan is the front. THe actual fan occupies the lower half of the grill on the unit. I surrounded the edges of the hole with plastic up to the TrueAir fan to act as a gasket. I'm not concerned with light leaks as the box is in a crawl space with no light possible getting into the crawl space. The exhaust of this fan is on the side. The air coming from it does feel warmer, so I know it's pulling the air from the box.

The bottom of my box is an open floor. (3) 1x4's and (2) 1x2's with a furnace filter slid underneath it. Since this box is in my crawlspace, I wanted to have the filter their to reduce the possiblity of mold spores entering the grow box. All the seams of the box are sealed so the only air intake to the box is through the bottom, through that furnace filter.

THis occured to me last night... Since the furnace filter is desinged to be used in a furnace, with a much more powerful fan, perhaps it is to restrictive and not enough air is coming into the box? In which case, a CPU fan at the bottom pointing up might help draw cool air in from under the box and circulate the air throughout the box, cooling the overal temp, right?

Still 85degrees is the goal, so I'll figure it out.

THanks for the tips guys.

Latest posts

Back