Is my local retailer ripping me off?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MeNtAlPaTiEnT

Reaction score
Ok, not sure of the specs of the kit, but I asked my hydroponic dealer about a 400 watt hps kit, everything included and he told me 350 dollars. I asked about a 600 watter, he said 450. A buddy of mine bought a 1000 from him and shelled out 500 bucks. I've been looking in magazines and HID hut and all that, and their prices are way cheaper than this guy.

What did you guys pay for your hid's? Should I pass this guy's offer up and order online? Would it be worth the 350 dollars for a 400 HPS if it came with, let's say, and air cooled hood, digital ballast? Thanks guys. I had high hopes of paying under 250 dollars for an HID setup, and this guy sort of ruined my bubble! Happy growing, thanks for any advice.

Thanks, I remember hearing about them before. A shame I don't have a credit card, but I could always add funds to my paypal account. Probably my best bet to save money is to order online huh.

I bought a 400 watt HPS in a hood for less that $100 (that was over a year ago). The hood got scrapped (needed a cool tube instead :)). I couldn't even cool that but that's another story :D

Haha oh wow, I'd LOVE to pay that sort of low price. What do you order with, credit or paypal or do you send a cash order? Just curious.. Oh and how much are the shipping/handling costs usually? 20-30 dollars roughly?

I don't know where you live, but you can always check craigslist too...thats how I got my 1000watt hps for $100, hood/ballast and bulb included, had only been used 6 months so the guy said, and it was in excellent shape (still is hehe)

HTG has a site on EBAY and often sells things there WAY cheaper on EBAY than on their OWN website plus usually its free shipping.
I ordered my 600 HPS air cooled from HTG and only paid like $259.00 or something close to that, including a digital remote ballist with built in fan and air cooled hood with glass and an agromax bulb.

Alot of times hydro stores will carry used eqipment, thats how I score all of mine usually ! The last time I went in there I scored 2 1000w HPS Harvest Pro ballests(used once) 2 matching Sun System air cooled hoods with flanges and glass in perfect condition along with 2 new bulbs for a grand total of $380.00
I felt like I won the lotto, the right deal is out there you just have to hunt for it ! good luck

Yeah I would try craigslist for a good used or cheap setup. Just type metal halide or high pressure sodium. I always see setups on there for good prices. Also if you dont have a credit card buy a visa gift card for online purchases, one of the safer ways to order online.

HI

Just like when you buy anything, I'd suggest always comparing local prices to the internet. Years ago indoor gardening was MUCH worse for markups but with the internet most of them realized they had to compete or they loose the business. I'd make notes of the exact brand and model of the gear he's wanting to sell you and then checking online for reviews on the gear and to reference prices at many stores.

My fave local store will match a cheaper price more often than not as long as he doesn't lose money on the transaction. The other store across town is a corporate chain grow store and they have NO wiggle room on the prices and that's really ironic to me cuz it's called Worm's Way! :rolleyes:

Also... you need to consider shipping cost and whether it's a product that would be worth buying local just to get the support if something goes wrong and you need to swap it out. I usually buy my bulbs locally for that reason even though I can get them cheaper on the 'net and they're not expensive to ship. When I've had a bulb problem in the past my local guy will swap it right out if it's within warranty.

And then there's shipping.... i've never heard of anyone getting busted because of excessive UPS deliveries but after a regular delivery guy said to me "I'm convinced you're building something up in here" to me when I lived at my last pad I've learned to spread out local purchases and my internet shopping.

Happy Growing!:cool:

MeNtAlPaTiEnT said:
Haha oh wow, I'd LOVE to pay that sort of low price. What do you order with, credit or paypal or do you send a cash order? Just curious.. Oh and how much are the shipping/handling costs usually? 20-30 dollars roughly?

You must have been very overpriced even the prices the OP is stating is high for me. For my 600watt ballast i paid only £40 (approx $75 ?) for analogue, now for a digital system youre only looking at double that.
400/600 watt digital ballasts seem fairly cheap @ around £100 for both each but the prices stems up for 1000watt digital ballasts as i havent seen any for less than £200 and thats mostly on ebay and shops in uk (obviously u pay a lot more in a shop cos they have to cover electricity rent etc).
The shipping and handling costs for ballasts will be v high because they are very heavy. just my 2 pence worth :p

I got my lighting systems from HTGsupply Mental....prices were good. Their site is currently down due to the fact that they are moving their internet sales location. Check ebay...I got great deals on there for my grow tent, inline fan and HPS bulbs...

I bought a 400w switchable hps/mh Lumatek, with a sunleaves artic sun air cooled hood for $239 plus around $15 for shipping from hxxp://www.cheaphydroponics.com... You cant beat the warranty on a Lumatek and this place offers them dirt cheap...

Latest posts

Back