Is this going to be enough light?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BillFromBio

Reaction score
I'm currently growing in a 3x5 closet. Right now the plants are onyl veggin so they arent' taking up that much space. However as time goes on they will get older and when i get rid of the males and get all my clones i plan on having about 8 plants flowering at once inside of the 3x5 area. Now my question is for 8 plants in that small of an area i was planning on using 2 separate 250watt HPS lights. Will this be enough? i don't want to under do it and have my yield compromised. I think that 250 watts for 4 plants and 250 for the other 4 will be enough, I really just want somebody else experienced opinion. Also the ventilation for the room will consist of the ajacent room being light tight and locked with a air circulation fan blowing to keep the air moving.

I use a 400 for 10 plants.in 4x6....I use milar...so I would say you would be fine

I am using a 3x4 and going to put my Hps in there thursday and I have 6 plants in there and it cramped I believe and u have a extra foot helps so u should be fine with 8 plants, as they get bigger u might say WOW where the room LOL

yes you will yeild fine, i suggest reading the supercropping thread in my sig(strech link) and trying a scrog trianing yer buds in place with an even canopy. that will maximise yer sog for yer gpw...

a 3x5 area = 15 sq. ft... a 250 is not close to being sufficient light. "Every" growguide recommends a minimum of 3,000 Lumen P/sq/ft, 5,000 is better.
Approx.' 28,000 lumens which is sufficient lighting for "about" 6 sq. ft.

EDIT
....oooops!.. just RE read the post.. "two (2) 250 watt hps's".. 'scuse me!!
You're real close with lighting.

I plan on flowering 9 clones under a 400 watt sodium. They say multiple smaller lights are better than one big one. You could go with a single 600 watt sodium for the same price though...maybe cheaper.

Hick said:
a 3x5 area = 15 sq. ft... a 250 is not close to being sufficient light. "Every" growguide recommends a minimum of 3,000 Lumen P/sq/ft, 5,000 is better.
Approx.' 28,000 lumens which is sufficient lighting for "about" 6 sq. ft.

EDIT
....oooops!.. just RE read the post.. "two (2) 250 watt hps's".. 'scuse me!!
You're real close with lighting.

Yeah i figured it was pretty close. So do you think those 2 lights will give me a pretty sufficient yield. Also i'm not sure how high the ceiling is but how far should i be hanging my lights from my plants? I was thinking that with the light being a 250 i could hang it about 36" away and not have any problems.

BillFromBio said:
Yeah i figured it was pretty close. So do you think those 2 lights will give me a pretty sufficient yield. Also i'm not sure how high the ceiling is but how far should i be hanging my lights from my plants? I was thinking that with the light being a 250 i could hang it about 36" away and not have any problems.

The 2 lights should be OK not great but OK and You should have them as close as you can without burning the back of your hand.
36" is way to high I would be at more like a foot away if I have mature plants under them, farther away for young sprouts.

Joseph James said:
I plan on flowering 9 clones under a 400 watt sodium. They say multiple smaller lights are better than one big one. You could go with a single 600 watt sodium for the same price though...maybe cheaper.

I have heard that here before but im certain in the Ed's growers guid it said one more intense source was better.
I know you get better spread but less penatration with multiple lights.

Anyone have any real facts about this?

Joseph James said:

Yeah i think that i'm just gonna go with a single 600 when i get that far. Its about 250 or so for one on ebay that i'm gonna go for. It should cover a 3x5 area very nicely. The bulb emits 95,000 lumens and all i need for 15 sq ft area is 75,000 so i think that i'll have a excellent first harvest.

http://cgi.ebay.com/DIGITAL-600-wat...ryZ42225QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
^link for light on ebay!

Growdude said:
I have heard that here before but im certain in the Ed's growers guid it said one more intense source was better.
I know you get better spread but less penatration with multiple lights.

Anyone have any real facts about this?
Ime using a bunch of small lights helped with a more even spread and temps. It wasn't enough of a diff for me to keep growing with the small lights. I'm actually running the big ones and the lil ones are in storage now:D. Btw, I also built and bought cooltubes.

Latest posts

Back