Is this normal??? 12 days

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kctats13

Reaction score
12 days in the bubble cloner.
the plants look nice and healthy.
the bottom of the stems look swollen and looks like they have root bumps but im not sure.
these bumps have been here for about 4 days and still no roots.
do these look normal??

11.jpg

22.jpg

33.jpg

44.jpg

55.jpg

The reason asking is because for the first 5 days i had them in rapid rooters and i was having trouble controlling the temp. it was getting in the low 50's at night and they looked like they were dying so i took them out and stuck em in a bubble cloner. since then theyve bounced back and look great but all the stems look real swollen and im afraid i might have screwed them up by taking them out of the rapid rooters.
The inside of the stem looks sort of greyish.
Do you guys think i still have a chance of them rooting?

Check the ph in the bubbler if mines to high it will do that. Might be rotten though gets tough if that happens. I have recut them before and started over if you have to.

captain1 said:
Check the ph in the bubbler if mines to high it will do that. Might be rotten though gets tough if that happens. I have recut them before and started over if you have to.
thats exactly what i was thinking about doing. but i wanted to get some opinions first before i jumped the gun.
the thing is the plants are super green and healthy looking. just no roots.
and the thing thats really making me think there might be a problem is because the center of the stem where the 45 degree cut is at looks greyish brown now. almost like its dry and old.
do you think id be better off cutting it again and if i do how much higher should i cut?

What actually causes the stem to rot?
Because ive seen other threads where people put the cutting in straight water and after 3 weeks it roots.

Ph to high normaly for me. Looks like it was close to popping or is close but if it rotten might as well cut it where it feels green and not squishy or soft.

Im not so good at long time clones mine root in 5-9 days I have planted in 6 days. Seems they rot when they either dont have the right ph or not enough water splashing up on them.

Its not squishy or soft at all. And im kinda screwed right now cause i just ordered a ph meter last night so im not really sure what its at.
Do you think i should wait it out a few more days?
How would i be able to tell if its rotten?

If its hard leave in and ph to 5.8 the will pop real fast in that. Check my journal called captains DWC has my DYI cloner in there.

I usually clone in rapid rooters with olivias and i get at least a 95% success rate.
This time i decided to try something new and now im regretting it..lol

kctats13,

rather than waiting on your PF meter to get there, go to a pet store and get a drop kit with a range from at least 6.0 for the bottom or even better 5.5 and use it until your meter arrives. While 5.8 maybe better, 6.0 will work too.

Unless you need the cloner for something else put them back in and let them either grow or die. You were correct that your biggest problem was cold temperatures. The people that I deal with recommend temps in the high 70s.

I pulled 3 out of 20 through that has been too cold just by leaving them alone after I got the temps back up and stable around 80 to 82F.

If they are looking like they are beginning to root, just leave them a lone. If you are going to recut them, then move up as close to the next node as practical, use you rooting hormone and start over. If you have enough stem left to recut them and start over, that might be the best thing to do. I've never tried recutting because I just leave them until they die before I give up.

They look healthy enough that I might try recutting them. If you have more than one from each mother, you might try leaving one alone and recutting another one. That way your chances of doing the right thing have doubled.

Good smoking.

Thanks alot for the help.
Im gonna give them a day or 2 more than if none root ill try recutting.

Latest posts

Back