Is this vaporizer any good??

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
So Hamster, will you hit the vaporizer tonight or the bong? I have the VaporGenie, but like you, I like to pull on the bong or maybe a joint every now and then.

Tell us more about your new unit. How long before it reach the temp? How many pulls do you get on each dose?

OK, finally got my vape in the mail today. I gotta say right up front, that this is the first vaporizer I've ever seen or used. So, I got nuttin' to compare it against.

When I picked it up at the P.O., I checked the shipping label, and it was shipped on the 23rd. So, the extra mail time was the post office, and not the seller. These guys do have speedy shipping, just like they promise. Out of the box, it was complete, undamaged, packed well, and everything they advertised was perfectly in place. A word about the grinder and brush they included as freebies: The brush was a metal-bristled tool, like you'd want to clean out a grinder. The grinder was prepared to grind. Nothing earth-shattering about the two, like the hype on the seller's page implied.

The instructions that came with it were, indeed, useless. Talking all about aroma-therapy, and nothing about "smoking" dope. I had watched enough clips on YouTube about vaping, that I knew how to proceed. I turned the heat all the way up to max, and let it sit about 5 minutes, to burn off any "shipping oils", etc, that they say may be on the element. A horrible smell, like a soldering iron came off the element right away, and lasted a minute or two. After that it just had a very faint "hot metal" smell. That's probably not a good thing, and this heating element may be the downfall in the whole thing. Hopefully its made of ceramic and not metal. I have a lazer heat gun, and I checked the temps in several places around the element, and could not get very high readings anywhere on the outside. Temps in the range of 280-290F was the most I read, when the indicator light went out, and the dial was set to 560. I guess the inside of the element must be where all the heat is. I turned it down to read 360 on the readout, and waited about 3 minutes. Loaded the bowl up with a very light hit (don't wanna waste too much primo weed experimenting) put the Whip on the element and watched. The end of the whip, that slides over the end of the heating element is the ground-glass fitting. That makes this a "hands free" device, and I don't recall that that was mentioned in the ebay add.

So, I'm sitting here watching the weed in the bowl and the temp reading saying 360. Nothing happened. I thought maybe some visable wisps of vapor would start appearing, but I didn't see anything. I thought the color of the weed might start turning a tan color, but didn't see anything like that at all. I tried taking a couple of different hits or 'draws' off the mouthpiece, some slow and easy, some long and strong. I noticed a long, steady, medium kinda draw brought enough vapor that I could just faintly see it when I exhaled. So, I tried turning the temp of the unit up, and I think I was in the 450 area on the read-out. I let the thing set for about a minute, and tried drawing again. Got more visable vapor at that temp with a kinda light steady draw. So, I'm guessing that the weed, sitting in the bowl, on the element won't get hot by itself. Ya gotta draw the hot air off the element, into the bowl, to actaully vape the weed.

I only had enough weed in the bowl, that if it was in a pipe would be about 2 good hits. I took many draws off the vape, but have no idea if I was vaping the weed or not. Probably 8-9 good draws. I noticed that the weed was turning a very dark brown right in the center, so I'm guessing I was using too high a temp and/or drawing too hard. Best first-use guess is: 360 is not hot enough, and 450 is too hot. Might be somewhere in between, huh? The taste of the weed was very different. My weed (bagseed) is apparantly lemon/shunk, and the taste was a kinda mild variation of that, with just a hint of popcorn taste added in. Interesting.

I think I did the weed about 20 mintues ago, I think, and I'm pretty baked right now. Typing and spelling is pretty difficult. After the first use, my conclusion is the machine does exactly what its advertised to do, and does it well. I feel like it was well worth the $59.99, not being able to compare it to any other machine. I feel like I got exactly what I was expecting for the price, and I'm happy with it. My only complaint would be the lack of instructions. If it weren't for having seen YouTube clips, I would have never figured it out. As far as finding the right temp/draw combinations, I think YouTube will get ya in the right area, and experimentation will dial it in for ya. I don't think it would be possible to put that in writing anyway. Each person will just have to fiddle with it, to get it where they want it.

I guess it is not necessary to have actual visable vapor to be getting effect off the weed? My next test will probably be to try a lower temp and a few draws, and then wait and see if I'm getting baked before I get visable vapor.

I also saw on YouTube that you can save the residue out of the bowl, and use it it cooking, and there's enough goodness left to make it worthwhile. Anyone have any experience with that aspect?

I'm feeling very good right now, and have this incredible craving for some nuked hot dogs. More ramblings later.

Thanks for the feedback. I am interested in the next report at the lower temp. I wonder, if when you see the light vapor, if this is a good hit. I wonder if by using a bong or joint, we expect to see the same thick smoke/vapor from the vaporizer. It would stand to think that the vapor would be a lighter white than in a bong.

Rest a little and try it again later.

I use the VaporGenie when I travel and I love the hit because I sleep like a log. I get 2 to 3 hits from the unit and the vapor is very light compared to a bong hit. Also, it doesn't smell like a joint/blount.

The hit from my VaporGenie is on the level of my bong. The big difference, I don't have that heavy feelling I get from the bong smoke.

Question: Do you feel the heat of the vapor? With the VaporGenie, I determine when to stop when I feel the heat in my mouth.

I feel for you Mr.vonHampster.....if you got me for a customer.....delivery up my road is hazardous duty.

Got my vape out, and gonna hit it whilst I trim today.

no you should see a mist...when I smoke mine I see a mist coming out when I exhale if it is hitting well. Mine doesnt say temps. I usualyl keep the dial at about the 2 o clock point. I load the glass about a 1/3 full packed in. I still prefer my pipe. the vapor is fun tho.

Just read the last of these posts.....
yep, you dont get to "see" any vapor, if you "see" the vapor it is smoke. Turn it down a tad, and burned popcorn taste also indicates to high a temp.
Getting mine out now......Vape Club where are You?

joseaf said:
So Hamster, will you hit the vaporizer tonight or the bong? I have the VaporGenie, but like you, I like to pull on the bong or maybe a joint every now and then.

Tell us more about your new unit. How long before it reach the temp? How many pulls do you get on each dose?

I hve been using the vape every night and it works well...Last night I was missing my bong a bit so I packed up a bowl and fired up and was rewarded with a serious coughing fit....:p It was then that I no longer missed my bong as much...there is no coughing fits with the vape and the taste of the bud is awesome...the only thing I really miss about my bong was the whole ritual that I hve with packing the bowl and firing up the lighter etc...I think after using the vape for a while though I will hve a ritual in place for it and then the bong will be almost obsolete for me...it takes a cpl minutes for it to reach the desired temp and me and the wife get like 4 pulls each off a small amount of bud...

joseaf said:
Question: Do you feel the heat of the vapor? With the VaporGenie, I determine when to stop when I feel the heat in my mouth.

I don't really feel any heat with the vape but I do get the sensation of my tongue being coated with the taste of the bud....taste is very much improved using the vape over the bong...

tcbud said:
I feel for you Mr.vonHampster.....if you got me for a customer.....delivery up my road is hazardous duty.

Got my vape out, and gonna hit it whilst I trim today.

Hey tc.... I hve plenty of customers like that...sometimes I hve to drive a half mile into the woods to get to peoples houses...:)

tcbud said:
Getting mine out now......Vape Club where are You?

I was just wondering today if I hve to resign from the BHC now that I am vaporizing instead??? I hope not....:)

Hey hamster sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I have the same vap. I paid $40 including shipping. They work! Not many extra features, but who cares. When mine arrived, I wasn't in a hurry to break it in. My sons were home from college over christmas, and they took it and smoked out of it before I did,LOL. I still use my bong as well, but I will always be a joint man first.:rolleyes:

umbra said:
Hey hamster sorry I didn't see this thread sooner. I have the same vap. I paid $40 including shipping. They work! Not many extra features, but who cares. When mine arrived, I wasn't in a hurry to break it in. My sons were home from college over christmas, and they took it and smoked out of it before I did,LOL. I still use my bong as well, but I will always be a joint man first.:rolleyes:

Yeah I am sure I will miss my bong every now and then... till I pull it out and cough up a lung again...:)

you dont have any nice pipes or bubblers ham?

2Dog said:
you dont have any nice pipes or bubblers ham?

I hve a monster water bong with the twisted Ice Catcher neck and I hve a medium sized water bong with the gel in the neck that gets super cold when you put the bong in the freezer for 20 minutes or so...and also a one hit pipe...

ahh you need a nice glass pipe with a big bowl..thats my favorite way to smoke...

OK, Round two. First of all, I gotta say that I got ripped pretty good off the first round. My guess would be that either the goodie-content in the vapor is a lot stronger than from smoked weed, or else all the draws that I didn't think I was getting anything from, I indeed was getting something.

Round two I set the temp around 360 again to start out. Let the amber light go out, and the wife and I both tried a couple different draws. Neither one of us could taste anything. I upped the temp to 380, gave it a minute, and we both tried again. This time, we were getting just very faint bits of visable vapor, and even the clear air (no visable vapor) had a nice taste to it. I'm pretty sure we were getting some good stuff, even though we could see no visable vapor. We both took 3-4 draws, and we're both feeling pretty good. The weed in the bowl only turned a nice shade of tan this time, instead of dark brown, so I'm thinking that temp might be about right. About 20% of the weed turned tan, right in the center, and the rest was still the same green color that it went in as. I'm assuming that part of the weed still has a lot of goodness in it yet, and I saved it to load the bowl again next time. The amount that turned tan was about the amount what I'd get one good hit from in a pipe. If thats the case, and we both got nicely high off that amount, then I'd conclude that the vape uses a lot less weed than smoking.

The taste remains interesting. I can definitely taste the strong lemon taste and a seperate strong skunk taste, similar to smoking. On top of that is a very subtle hint of freshly popped popcorn. The wife says she can detect pine-cone-in-the-campfire overtones. The interesting thing is, its all in the taste. There is no aroma at all in the room air. At least I don't think there is. I had her blow a lung-full in my face, and I couldn't detect any aroma in the air at all.

wmmeyer be careful if you smoke the residue...me and the wife tried this and it was horrid tasting and made us hack a lung up...and I feel like we get much higher off much less with the vape...I am very happy with the purchase...

Hamster Lewis said:
Yeah I am sure I will miss my bong every now and then... till I pull it out and cough up a lung again...:)

I saw a video on YouTube where the guy attached his vaporizer to his bong. I like my bong and use it a lot when home, but I have to agree that using the vapor involves a lot less coughing , but the bong depends on the strain.

Hamster Lewis said:
wmmeyer be careful if you smoke the residue...me and the wife tried this and it was horrid tasting and made us hack a lung up...and I feel like we get much higher off much less with the vape...I am very happy with the purchase...

It seems to take more weed just to fill the bowl to a workable level than what we're gonna use in one setting. I've noticed that the weed right in the center of the bowl is turning brown, but the stuff around the edges of the bowl is staying fresh and green-looking. I don't want to leave the bowl loaded between toking sessions, cuz I don't want the weed to get knocked out and scattered all over the place. So, what I'm trying is to dig the browned weed out into a separate container to try in cooking. The green-looking stuff I'm using to re-load the bowl. It seems to be working OK so far, and we didn't get any harshness from using the same weed over again last night. If it works out OK, then we'll be using a small fraction of the amount of weed to vape, AND using the brown stuff in cooking and still getting some kick out of it.

I think I understand from YouTube clips, that ya could load the bowl pretty good, leave the machine turned on, and the whip attached, and let it sit for awhile. It will only vape the weed when ya draw thru it, and letting it sit won't use up any weed. Can anyone clarify that for me? I hope that's the case, cuz we could have one nice long Saturday afternoon session that way, and still use only a fraction of the weed to do it. I've noticed I get kinda messy, reloading the pipe/bong after the first couple hits.

I have use my bong with my heat gun from my workshop. Holy Cow, the hit is smooth. I do this method from time to time. I really like the white rhino with the vaporizer. I hope to get my hands on some Bubble gum or Lemon Haze.

The one big advantage of the vaporizer is you a lot less week to get high.

Latest posts

Back