Jerky Heads!

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
7greeneyes said:
nice

we adopted a Pit bull lab mix. She is a sweet heart but very opinionated. :)
I be she is opinionated :) all of ours have been. It's the bully in them. Ours would just lay by the crib all night when we had a new born. Growing up together as best friends

Here are 2 recipes for everyone:

Kickin Habanero
1/2 cup low sodium "la choy" soy sauce
1/4 cup Frank's Red Hot sauce
1/4 cup teriyaki sauce
2 tsp garlice power or 2 cloves
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp Liquid Smoke (I use hickory flavor)
1-5 habaneros blended (keep in mind these are VERY hot) even using 1 might be too much for people who don't like spicy foods

Mix all ingredients together. Put meat in marinade for at least 5 hours. The longer it sits the more intense the flavor. The marinade holds about 2.5 lbs of meat.

Red Wine Teriyaki:
1/3 cup low sodium soy sauce
1/3 cup teriyaki
1/3 cup red wine
2 tsp garlic powder
2 tsp onion powder
1 tsp black pepper
2 tsp Liquid Smoke

Mix all ingredients together and add meat. Let sit at least 5 hrs

My favorite is the habanero but I LOVE spicy foods :D

missabentley said:
I be she is opinionated :) all of ours have been. It's the bully in them. Ours would just lay by the crib all night when we had a new born. Growing up together as best friends

She's either a Love-A-Bull or A Pit-Bully to our Lab/retriever who is 25+ pounds heavier then she is. He's a happy guy all the time too...lol...takes her harassing like a champ.

Can jerky be done in the oven? Or would the hot Texas sunshine work best??? :p

I've never done it but I know some people use the oven on the lowest setting with the door left cracked. I use a food dehydrator. Idk about that Texas sun :p

Ha ha. You know, I saw a dehydrator for a good price on groupon recently...or does it need to be an expensive one?

SmokinMom said:
Ha ha. You know, I saw a dehydrator for a good price on groupon recently...or does it need to be an expensive one?
I have something very similar to this:
hxxp://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B008H2OELY/ref=mp_s_a_1_6?qid=1375217259&sr=8-6&pi=AC_SX110_SY190
You just turn it on and check it/flip it every few hours :D

Actually I had to set an alarm to get up and flip mine last night haha

I really love Tillamook's black steak nuggets. Anyone around the NW has probably seen it at their local corner store/supermarket.

teriyaki-beef-steak-nugg-17800-313z.jpg

dehydrator? really? don't you do it in a smoker?
7g bro I wouldn't eat that stuff, lol

Ruffy said:
dehydrator? really? don't you do it in a smoker?
7g bro I wouldn't eat that stuff, lol
I don't have a smoker so I add "Liquid Smoke" to my marinade

hey, if it's good enough for my dog it's good enough for me :rofl:

I'm not a mega fanatic of dried meat products but when i get a hankering that's what I go for.

SmokinMom said:
Can jerky be done in the oven? Or would the hot Texas sunshine work best??? :p

We only do it in the oven set at 175. A convection oven is a must for this. Some key secrets.

1: Wet/strong marinade. The meat needs alot of flavoring.

2: I like the meat nice and even. So it gets froze for about a hour and then sliced. We obv use a commercial slicer. But you can hand slice also. Just don't Paul Bunyan the meat. Nice and thin/even.

3: Meat get hung upside down with metal rods, like coat hangers.

4: Put a whole sheet pan wrapped in foil at base or you are gonna have a mess to clean, a bad one.

Pretty much it. We also make BBQ Chinese pork in this same fashion. The marinades are endless. I personally like pineapple juice as a base to most marinades.

Rosebud said:
That makes me hungry.

I meant to buy some sub par jerky at the store today and plum forgot...

We have a toaster oven, it can also do convection I think. It was a temp knob.

What kind of meat works? The cheap kind hopefully...lol.

SmokinMom said:
I meant to buy some sub par jerky at the store today and plum forgot...

We have a toaster oven, it can also do convection I think. It was a temp knob.

What kind of meat works? The cheap kind hopefully...lol.
Dang it! I hate when I forget stuff at the store. Lol. I can't answer the toaster oven question but as far as beef to use goes.. Any lean roast works. I think i used a Round roast sliced thin. But I mostly use deer.

I soak mine in the marinade for at least 24 hours. I used to use a dehydrator, but I like a low oven better.

Most of my marinades have liquid smoke also.

Missabentley--Thanks for being a dog rescuer--we need more of us. I also am a dog rescuer. I am partial to herding dogs. They have an energy, spunk, and intelligence that I love. The latest addition to my family was a 4 year old border collie picked up as a stray. He is turning out to be a wonderful dog and he has completely stolen my heart.

19036141 (6).JPG

The Hemp Goddess said:
I soak mine in the marinade for at least 24 hours. I used to use a dehydrator, but I like a low oven better.

Most of my marinades have liquid smoke also.

Missabentley--Thanks for being a dog rescuer--we need more of us. I also am a dog rescuer. I am partial to herding dogs. They have an energy, spunk, and intelligence that I love. The latest addition to my family was a 4 year old border collie picked up as a stray. He is turning out to be a wonderful dog and he has completely stolen my heart.

Well now I'm inclined to try the oven. I imagine I could make more at a time as well. That's a very cute doggy. At one point we had 7 dogs in the house. 2 newborn pups we bottle fed and 5 adults. :holysheep: But glad to say they all still have their perma homes we set them up with

I don't use a de-hydrater because of the cleanup if those grate things. Takes forever to clean them. And having old meat after the last batch is no good.

As far as meat quality. You get what you pay for. Do I use beef tenderloin at $15 per pound, no. I actually like to use Prime grade tri-tip. Costco has them for around $7 per pound. Meat is naturally super tender, easy to flavor and is easy to slice(that's a big one).

I am not much for liquid smoke on jerky. I like fruity flavorings w/ heat. Pineapple juice, sirachi, honey, ginger, garlic, fennel seed and a touch of low sodium soy sauce is my go to. :) Shh don't tell anyone.

Latest posts

Back