Just want to verify, is this problem only due to high temps?

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A

Albrecht

So, for about 7 weeks of flowering, the temps were in the upper 90's. One plant was unaffected, but my two others didn't make much progress during flowering, and new leaves wouldn't unfurl, so they'd stay tubular, and the ends would pigtail. I put in a window AC unit a week ago to fix the temp issue, and the larger leaves are starting to pop out, and flowering has already started to pick up. So things are obviously on the mend, but to cover all my bases, and increase my knowledge of this plant, since this is my first grow, I'd like to get opinions from people. A lot of the smaller leaves are still tubular in shape, and the majority of the stems are quite purple, with some purple lines on the trunk. Any comments about the purple? Are the leaves that haven't unfurled yet staying tubular because the plant hasn't had enough time in the cooler temps to fully recover from the heat? Those are some of my main questions, but any observations anybody has from looking at this one pic I'd like to hear.

This is a soil grow, PH'd distilled water. I use a soil moisture meter, so I never over-water. Some issues with nute burn in the past, but I've moved organic and majorly cut down of the frequency with which I feed them. Temps currently in the mid to low 80's.

IMG_1922s.jpg

I'd say lack of watering? My have plants hit 113 Degrees and survived

I believe you suffered some pretty high temps by the sounds of your journal.
The damaged leaves will not repair themselves, and this far along in flower the plants dont have alot of time to grow out.
Too high of temps can make your plants look sparse. But some strains just dont produce, some strains can take the heat better too, are they all the same starin? I did not see.

Megatron said:
I'd say lack of watering? My have plants hit 113 Degrees and survived

Watering is not the problem, but thanks for the input. The plant is still healthy and green, and has beautiful white pistils on every flower on every branch, so it's not a question of the plant surviving or not. I think a prolonged period of high temps slowed down the flowering. The two plants continued to grow in height during this period, with the tallest codas gaining problem about a foot, it's just the budding that was slowed down. They've both been lapped several times by my third plant, who looks like she'll end up with two massive codas, and well formed buds on each and every branch, which is really exciting. I guess in the end I'll end up with a somewhat smaller overall yield, but some good experience for next time.

Growdude said:
I believe you suffered some pretty high temps by the sounds of your journal.
The damaged leaves will not repair themselves, and this far along in flower the plants dont have alot of time to grow out.
Too high of temps can make your plants look sparse. But some strains just dont produce, some strains can take the heat better too, are they all the same starin? I did not see.

That's the conclusion I've come to, that I'm growing at least two different strands. I had bought an assortment of seeds like 3-4 years ago, like 7-8 different strains. Early this year I found them and decided to grow them, and just dumped them all in a glass of water. So they could very well be different strains, and unfortunately I threw away the packaging that had the strains listed, so I don't even know what possible strains they could be. But I've been treating these three ladies (and the 3 males I ended up with) exactly the same, and since one loved the high level of nutes I was feeding them, while the other two developed nute burn, and loved the heat and has been budding like crazy, while the other two were really affected by the heat and have been slower to produce, I have to think that they're different strains. So I really wish I knew which strain my healthiest plant is, because she is just an amazingly hardy plant that seems to be really forgiving for a novice grower, and I'd like to try her against in the future. But oh well, next time I'll just do it right and do my research and buy some quality seeds, so I can know better what to expect.

But anybody know anything about the purple stems and lines on the trunk?

Just to further illustrate what I'm talking about when it comes to the leaves unfurling or not unfurling, the first picture is what all the new leaves looked like after about 5-6 weeks of flowering in the hot temps. Since I bought the AC unit about 1.5 weeks ago, the majority of the longer leaves have unfurled, like this second picture, it's the smaller leaves that are still tubular. I'm hoping they all unfurl before the plants are ready to be harvested, and I'd really like it if the larger ones are able to "pop" their curly pigtail tips, but we'll see.

IMG_1934s.jpg

IMG_1932s.jpg

yea,it looks like a heat problem to me.mine did that when my heat got up to the upper 90's.you may need an ac unit in the growroom.-later

my plants used to suffer from the heat also.i am growing in a tent tho.i got a bigger active air blower to suck thru the filter,thru the reflector and out the top.still have to occassionally leave the tent door open when it gets real hot.also have a fan blowing inside the tent.keeps it about 80 degs. even in the off light period i have my timers set to come on every hr.,just to exchange the air.

yea thats a good idea to keep your ventilation going,even when the lights are off.even though your plants are sleeping,theyre still taking in carbon dioxide and oxygen.the fresher the air,the healthier the plants will be.

I'm using a regular bedroom closet for my grow room, which is about 9' by 2.5', which I have divided in two, with the plants on the left and the exhaust on the right. I actually cut a hole in my bathroom (semi by accident :eek: ) wall so I can vent the hot air that the AC unit produces. With the AC unit, I got temps down to 84f, but today I tried putting a high velocity fan I had sitting around on the top shelf near the ceiling, and it actually lowered my temp in the grow side of my closet down to 80f, which I'm very happy with. But the idea of having the fans come on throughout the dark cycle is a good one. I'll need to buy another timer, but I think it would be worth it. I'll try that as my next step. And I guess I'll just wait and see how many of the leaves unfurl now that I have my temps under control.

IMG_1940s.jpg

IMG_1888s.jpg

Wow, what a difference this AC has made! My two straggler plants are finally starting to dense up, and have increased in bud density by probably 100% in just the last week. They might actually end up producing some pretty fat buds after all! And the main 2 colas on my third plant added about 2-3" in height, which means it looks like I'm going to get two really massive buds off of that plant. It will be interesting to see how far down the stem they'll bud, but as it is, one is 19" long with a circumference of 8", while the other one is 17" and 9" in circumference. That seems really big to me, but since this is my first grow, who knows. And I'm only just now seeing the first hints of trichrome production, so I'm really excited to see what I end up with!

thanks for thispost i have the exact same problem last grow and now this grow im on.It was bad on all 3 plants last time since my 1000watt cranks out the heat it once got up to 100f but normally it stayed in the high 80's with 1 fan on.This grow i got 16 small 1 to 2 foot plants with 2 fans and 1 duct fan near the light and it stays in the low 80's but a couple got that curled up look but they seem ok.its mostly on the newer littler leaves(none of the fan leaves got it).what else could i do to get the temp down?does the leaves go back to normal when the temp is good?

Congrulations! You have cooked your plants like I did before... Damaged parts do not heal back and plant grow will get stunted for some time.

ChatNoir said:
Congrulations! You have cooked your plants like I did before... Damaged parts do not heal back and plant grow will get stunted for some time.

Actually, I've noticed that a few of the leaves are starting to pop out fully, even though most are still curled at the tip. But there's no browning, it's all still dark green, and also, with the way the budding has accelerate in the week I've had the AC, I don't think I'll end up with much less than what I would have had if I'd had the AC from the start.

Aurora_Indicas_Dad said:
yea thats a good idea to keep your ventilation going,even when the lights are off.even though your plants are sleeping,theyre still taking in carbon dioxide and oxygen.the fresher the air,the healthier the plants will be.

How long at a time do you think I need to have my fans running during the dark hours? Right now I have my two powerful exhaust fans connected to the same timer has my AC unit, while my desktop fans are connected to the same timer as my light. So I'm gonna use my exhaust fans during the dark hours, and I was wondering if 10 mins at a time, a couple times over the course of the 12 dark hours would suffice. The room size is 6'x2'x10'. Think 10 mins would be enough time to move the air?

It is great if there is little damage... Keep it between 21 to 27 Celsius.

Well, I thought I'd update this thread with pics that will illustrate the resolution of my issue that adding an AC unit has allowed. In the two weeks or so since I added the AC unit, my main colas have added about 4" in height at the tip, with the smaller colas adding ~2" or so as well. And beyond length, they've added a good deal of bulk as well, with more buds popping up and fleshing out. I'm just seeing the very beginning of trichs on some of the buds of my healthiest plant, so I guess I still have a number of weeks to go, but anybody who is getting decent to good results just from having some air blow on your plants would probably see some real benefits from adding a dedicated AC unit to their grow room. I know it has worked wonders for my setup.

IMG_2072s.jpg

IMG_2074s.jpg

IMG_2075s.jpg

IMG_2071s.jpg

IMG_2070s.jpg

IMG_2086s.jpg

IMG_2078s.jpg

IMG_2079s.jpg

IMG_2081s.jpg

Latest posts

Back