Leafs curling

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy Horse

Reaction score
Not to sure what is happening to my clones, but they have been in soil for 5 weeks now and the leaf tips are curling down and the ridges on the leaves are curling up. And just on the upper leaves. Leaves have a yellowish tinge to them. Under a 200 watt cfl, some organic nutes in soil, fed them light nutes twice. There is not a whole lot of air circulation. Thought maybe heat stress or ph problems? But it is a cfl, and never delt with ph problems before, but I guess there is always a first. I moved the light up a bit, but it won't be awhile to tell if it helps. I will post some pics but my camera is crappy.

Some pics would probably help us to diagnose your problem correctly. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

I think it is heat and lack of air circulation?

IMG_0788_1.JPG

IMG_0787_1.JPG

IMG_0786_1.JPG

Crappy pics, but u can see the tips curling down and the little ridges along the leafs curling up.

Could be heat stress. Do you have a fan blowing the air around? That will help, I think. What are your temps like? Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

Do you have an oscillating fan on them? What is your humidity?

Little air circulation, no fan on them, humidity low (around 20), and temps not sure but are definitely not high because they are my garage with the thermostat set at 10 C. I've been running this setup with 4 grows this year out of there with no problems, so not sure what is going on. So I raised the light (it was about 2" away) about 4" away, set up my fan so air circulates better, and next time I water will check the runoff. And I will put my thermometer in there as well. My humidity has been low on every grow with no problems whatsoever, so not going to do anything with that unless nothing changes in their health with these new changes. Thanks for the replies.

I hear ya, that you do not want to change anything...but 20% humidity is way too low for vegetative growth. I keep mine at around 70% until I start flowering and then I drop it to like 20% to prevent bud rot.

The reason that humidity is important is because with a very low humidity like that your plants are transpiring (loosing water through stomata's) quicker then it can replace it from feeding.

By the way I was only trying to help you, with information that I know to be true. I do not just post things just to post them, I ONLY post something if i feel that I can ACTUALLY help.

With that said, I would say that it is a humidity problem, and that you must raise your humidity to atleast 50% during veg...But this is your grow, so you can do whatever you feel fit. But atleast look at humidity.

Good luck

A higher humidity would definitely help the plants during veg. 20 would be fine for flowering though. Let us know what the ph is also. Keep us posted. Take care and be safe.

Ok, checked on them today, and there is no reason they should be upset with their environment now. Temps around 73 F with lights on, and not to sure when lights are out. Humidity, 70 (I don't know why I thought it was so low before). Fan blowing directly on them, and an increase of airflow. So conditions are pretty good now, I will check ph next time watered. So I will wait to see how the new growth does unless someone can come up with something else.

Are you checking the temp's at the tops of the plants?

My room stays around 75deg but right at the tops it can get hot fast exp if you don't have a fan running across the light....

I am running a cfl, and my plants are only about 6" tall, and the temps at the base of the plants are 68 F, so I added a few more degrees for the height difference. Oh and nice to see u again Timmy!

I pulled the plants out of their pots, and the roots are starting to pile up. I've had more roots before, but will transplant anyways to see if it helps. And I also think it is some sort of nute deficiency more than anything. They should be alot taller for being a month old, more like a foot tall instead of 6". So maybe I will give them a dose of nutes as well, they might just be hungry. Somethings gotta work, I think I will have tried everything after tomorrow lol.

I am having the same exact problem as you Crazy Horse. I have seven plants in my flower closet right now and only one of them is doing that crazy thing with the leaves. My plant is about three weeks into flower and the leaves are 100 times worse than yours. The leaves are rolled right up. They look like a dollar bill all rolled up. The plant looks great other than that so Im not really sure what the problem is. And my six other plants arent having this problem so Im confused. Let me know if you get a definite answer or a solution to this problem.

After repotting and some nutes tomorrow, it's just a waiting game. I am keeping an eye on my new growth to see if the symptoms change. I hate when **** happens like this in flowering though. At least in veg I think it is easier to fix the problem then when they are halfway through flowering.

It sure looks like heat stress, but u can hold my light in your hand without getting burned. I changed my room around a bit (raised the light just to make sure), and everything is almost ideal for growing my sweet MJ.

id be willin' to bet its intensity not heat. you hand is alot tougher than a plants tissue, this hand test is jargon if you want to talk about intensity, not heat anyway. its all in the lumens!!!!

Latest posts

Back