Leaving in darkness last wk before harvest.

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't water my plants the last cycle, say 3 days before harvest or so....I leave my plants in complete darkness 24 hrs. before harvest(or skip last "lights on" cycle).

Plenty of tests show that dry AIR contributes to resin production but I have seen nothing proving that less watering does anything. Although, less water in the buckets is going to contribute to less moisture in the air. So, in a way, that works.

Plenty of tests show that dry AIR contributes to resin production but I have seen nothing proving that less watering does anything. Although, less water in the buckets is going to contribute to less moisture in the air. So, in a way, that works.

Could be, but that's not why it's done :batman:

I have never seen any tests that show that. In fact, I have been taught that dry arid air with a low RH inhibits resin production in cannabis. Can you link something so I can read it?

We were talking, in another thread, about withholding water the last week. That's when I remembered reading this in the MB book.
From the book, Marijuana Botany...

In a drug strain, a bio-synthetic rate must be maintained such that substantially more THC is produced than is broken down. Humidity is an interesting parameter of THC production and one of the least understood. Most high-quality drug Cannabis grows in areas that are dry much of the time at least during the maturation period. It follows that increased resin production in response to arid conditions might account for increased THC production. High-THC strains, however, also grow in very humid conditions (greenhouses and equatorial zones) and produce copious quantities of resin. Cannabis seems not to produce more resins in response to dry soil, as it does to a dry atmosphere. Drying out plants by with-holding water for the last weeks of flowering does not stimulate THC production, although an arid atmosphere may do so. A Cannabis plant in flower requires water, so that nutrients are available. for operating the various bio-synthetic pathways.

It says dryer soil may not contribute to increased resin production but dryer air may do so. So, withholding water might not be a good idea. But, how would you get dryer air while still watering your plants? I guess a dehumidifier in the last week or so might be a good test.

Latest posts

Back