LED canopy temps

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

next

Reaction score
Hey guys,

I have some conflicting information about what temps to run my grow tent. With hps/mh it is recommended that optimum temp is between 75-78. But recently I have read that temps need to be higher with an LED grow, due to the non intense heat coming from the light.

"Although, it is commonly agreed that 75 degrees is the perfect ambient room temperature for hps. LEDs, you have to use 85 degrees because your canopy stays at 85 degrees with this light."
"We are just talking about how 85 degrees is your optimum temperature when growing with LEDs, the range being a minimum of 80 degrees and a maximum of 90 degrees. Above 90 degrees your plants will be stressed, below 80 degrees they simply won’t transpire enough moisture to grow at a fast rate"

Do you guys run your temps in the 70's, or the 80's with your LED's? I was running canopy temps at 78, but recently up'd the temps to about 85. What do you guys do???

I try to keep my temps under 80. My led's seem to add 7 degrees to the ambient temperature. I think 78 would be better for your plants the 85. That seems too hot. I have had mine that hot in the summer and they suffered. Just my thoughts.

Where did you read that?

I also do not agree. I can't think of any reasonable reason that the type of lighting you are using should affect the canopy temps you should keep. By this way of thinking, T5 should be run hotter, too.

I am not really understanding their logic? You actually do not want your root zone as hot as your canopy, whether you are growing soil or hydro.

These 2 sentences do not even make sense to me: "However, with LEDs, in order for my canopy to be 85 since these lights put off heat my whole room has to be 85 that is the single biggest difference between growing with LEDs and growing with High Pressure Sodium. Although, it is commonly agreed that 75 degrees is the perfect ambient room temperature sodium LEDs, you have to use 85 degrees because your canopy stays at 85 degrees with this light."

IMO, we don't want temps to be 85 anywhere in our tents. I only went through the one link, but it made my head hurt trying to figure out what they were trying to say. I also do not know whether I would trust the LED salespeople.

Sounds like a load of bull. My Flower tent runs cooler now with LED's and I don't have to keep my tent temps up in the mid 80's to have success.

Good to know, lots of misleading information out there. I appreciate you guys taking the time time set me straight. I had some purple petioles going on, so I looked up temps again and stumbled upon those sites.. given that I had the purple petioles and those websites recommending the higher temps I almost believed it.

My led tent is running. In low to mid 70 and my plants r rocking...im selling my 1k hps im gonna go all led...

My grow room is about 65 with the lights off an 75 or so with the lights on.

LOL--my flowering closet is rocking and rolling with a 1000W HPS and 70 degree temps. I am one of those that needs the heat from an HPS during the winter. Do keep in mind that the heat can be a good thing if your grow space tends to run cool.

Yes unfortunately there is still a of lot of misinformation and more unfortunate, a lot of it is greed motivated. The internet is a great resource, but I also see published things that are not worth the bytes it takes to store them. LED people still lie about the coverage of their lights. Salespeople are still trying to sell duct booster fans to go with carbon filters. People are writing grow books that are filled with misconceptions, misinformation, and downright falsifications. This is one of the things that make forums so great. You get the input from a myriad of people who have real experience, not anonymous avaars on a screen or written page that may or may not be true.

I agree totally goddess, some of the info out there is crazy! Lol
i try to research more then one place an ask alot of questions, i try to find other people or other sources with the same info just to double check myself. Ive ruined complete grows listening to bad info! BtL

I spoke with Blackdog support earlier have a light coming and was told the same 85 degrees.

I asked the teller @ the bank about investing my money... she mentioned bit-coins.

seriously though...
this is new territory we are all blazing with each new light technology that comes out.
some of the old rules do not apply to LED, LOTS do!

I'm open to the possibility BUT I need to see proof from multiple sources, scientific explanations (that I might not understand) as to why this happens etc.

Talking about LED`s and best temps to grow in. And the affects of temps, high or low. At least inside you can regulate the temps. Outside, Mother Nature does her job. Try to remember that this is a WEED, that has grown for hundreds, if not thousands of years, without intervention by man. Yes, man has helped our beloved weed reach it`s potential, but it did great by itself. Try to keep my garden room in the 70-80 degree range, don`t always happen though. Outside growers have no way to regulate the temps as inside growers do. My garden room is in the back corner of my garage, up off the floor. Inside measures about 7'x7'x7', use the back half as growing space. Have 2 Advanced Diamond Series 300`s. I do have some heat issues in the summer. 2 passive intake vents and an 8" exhaust fan for warm weather use, 2" squirrel cage blower that I use as an exhaust fan in cold weather. Enough rambling on for now.

If that made any kind of sense at all, I would pay some attention to it. But the links that I read were confusing with a lot of conflicting information and no scientific backup to their assertions that I could find anywhere.

Also isn't one of the real advantages of LEDs is that they run cooler and allow us to keep our spaces in the 75 degree range without a lot of problems. I would have to be running space heaters in my space all the time in the winter to get it to 85 degrees....and then what is going to happen to root zones and res temps if running hydro? It simply does not make any kind of good growing sense at all...

I grow year round. My garden room is fully insulated. In winter, how hot do you want it ? We can get there. In summer, do have some heat issues, even with LED`s. Right now it`s still 4 degrees BELOW zero out where I live.

From what I understood, the reasoning behind it is that with HID lighting, your plants are subjected to alot more infrared heat. With led's they don't have near the amount of infrared that HID's or the sun puts out, so the increase in ambient temp is to make up for it.

I`m just a dumb ol` hippie (67) that is completely happy growing his own MJ. Might not be the best, but anyone who`s tried some has not complained. Some even had good things to say. Can it be improved on, in potency and/or yield ? I`m sure it could, but do not think that there is any magic potent to do it with. Try to keep my garden room 75 - 80 with lights on and 60 - 65 with lights off. When all of the techno geeks figure out the baby steps to better MJ, someone please let me know. Until then I`ll kick back and enjoy my home grown.

Im not saying im a believer, or even understand why, but there sure is a lot of info on the internet suggesting LED grows should run at a slightly higher temp. But then again the info found on the internet isnt always correct. Just saying this topic is widely discussed.

I burned mine at 93 people...toasty. Look at Hamster's grow, he wasn't running 85... But since Black dog says it is the way to go, well then..... Who is black dog.. and why do i care what he says? I grow led, hammy grows led, PJ grows led, we are doing ok with out that bad advice.

Latest posts

Back