Legalization a think tank discussion

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Get as ramnty and off tangent as you want...that's why this thread was started...also it's nice to grow a plant but it's also nice to learn about it and discuss it IMO, so kudos to everyone who takes part...use your brain that's what it is there for...and I do agree with you pussum. I'm white and MLK is one of my idols, he was a bad dude, just like Ghandi and Jesus (I'm not a believer BTW). Bad dudes do it the right way, they turn the other cheek IMO.

I wish I could disagree with you pussum, but the unpredictable nature of our government has made us even more afraid of the known factors...

When some friends of mine and I would get together and talk about things such as this, at some point during the conversation someone would always ask, "Okay - so who is prepared to be a martyr?"

Who among us is willing to rise above their fear of a future unknown and breathe new life into the common people and renew their belief in the rights and power that they possess??

I don't know, but it seems about ripe for that time...

Dadgumit said:
I wish I could disagree with you pussum, but the unpredictable nature of our government has made us even more afraid of the known factors...

When some friends of mine and I would get together and talk about things such as this, at some point during the conversation someone would always ask, "Okay - so who is prepared to be a martyr?"

Who among us is willing to rise above their fear of a future unknown and breathe new life into the common people and renew their belief in the rights and power that they possess??

I don't know, but it seems about ripe for that time...

You volunteering Dadgumit?

pussum said:
I'm hoping for one hell of a counterpoint on your end so don't let me down POTUS!

I do have a lot to say about the points you covered, pussum, but I've had a bum foot for a couple of days and had to be on it most of today. My whole body is screamin right now so I'm gonna take some tokes and crash.

I have to be up and around again in the morning, so hopefully a good nights sleep and being off that foot will make it better tomorrow.

I'll try to answer your post tomorrow. It's well stated and you make a good argument.

nite'

POTUS said:
I do have a lot to say about the points you covered, pussum, but I've had a bum foot for a couple of days and had to be on it most of today. My whole body is screamin right now so I'm gonna take some tokes and crash.

I have to be up and around again in the morning, so hopefully a good nights sleep and being off that foot will make it better tomorrow.

I'll try to answer your post tomorrow. It's well stated and you make a good argument.

nite'

Bummer man. I hope your foot feels better. Take two bowls and call me in the morning.

I also find alternating between a cold compress and a hot one helps ease the tension, I have two partially severed achilies tendons. I know how that goes, believe me.

POTUS said:

nite'

Sorry you're not feeling well POTUS... Take care of yourself (Ibuprofen, compresses, elevation - you and your leg! lol) and we'll talk soon.:)

And BBFan, you just never know! LOL

The 4 of you are all making excellent points. It seems this thread has evolved from a legalization of MJ discussion to a worldwide movement resulting in changes to the very foundations that the world community (as individual entities but essentially on a global scale) is based upon. Pandemics, revolutions, plagues; these things have occurred in our world’s history, and ultimately an individual or small group has risen to lead the masses towards a perceived (or marketed) “greater good.” And from there, what started out as a movement for the masses has evolved (or should I say devolved) into efforts to control the populations based on the beliefs- or greed and self-serving agendas- of the few. The United States was started because those people, among many other things, got tired of supporting a political agenda that did not serve the needs of the people in the colonies. And where is the US today? No different from what they broke away from.

Information technology and the movement of information is having a major impact on the world. It has happened in our lifetime. But it still has a long way to go. Information will need to move instantaneously to have the effect that would be required to initiate great change. And it must get to everyone! Not hyperbole, opinion, or propaganda, but information. I think that is still a ways away.

The thought or belief that we are all essentially the same or have common innate beliefs is probably true, I don’t know. But we are all products of our environments and all of our environments have differences. Some people in this world believe that someone is different, sometimes inferior, to themselves simply because of the color of their skin or their religious belief or even the way they speak! As foreign and disgusting as that is to my sensibilities, those people believe it. It is an essential component of who they are. My brother recently changed religions, and is now so convinced that he has found the “right” belief, the rest of us are ignorant because we believe in something different. This is a rational, educated person- but he is right and we are wrong. Education. Baby steps. Information!

MJ has been lumped into the class of “Drugs”. And our population is and continues to be inundated, from a very early age, with the “truism” that “drugs” and “evil” are synonymous. Education, as has been said, is the key here in my opinion. Is MJ not evil, but cocaine and heroin are? Where is that line (the one that keeps getting moved)? Recreational use and medicinal use are two completely different arguments. That for medicinal purposes MJ is illegal is an abomination. For recreational use, as my use is, is a different issue. Am I hurting myself by using it, I’m not sure, probably, but then what doesn’t hurt us on some level, but it helps me (or perhaps I just enjoy it) and therefore I continue to use it. That is my choice and I risk the consequences of my actions. Oh to enjoy that freedom!

Baby steps. We must educate, and be educated, about MJ and its risks so that we may make our own informed decisions. Ignorance is rampant on this issue, as many of you have stated. When that education gets to the masses, then there will be change.

As posted by Dadgumit:
“If we could get everyone who participated in this march to dress professionally (as if going on a job interview) and conduct themselves accordingly, we would visually debunk the myth that marijuana smokers are either: burnt out, haven't-bathed-in-a-week, long-haired freaky people or gang-banging, thug-life living, threats to society as we have been stereotyped. We need to conduct it more like a political convention rather than a "get together with fellow users" because that's what they think we do with all of our free time anyway!”

Count me in! Thank you all for your thoughts and posts. This thread alone shows that we, the evil users of MJ are actually an intelligent group, regular people, no different from anyone else. As Potus said: “Show the world that we aren't the villains that the establishment makes us out to be”. I am obviously not as well informed as some of you are, but thank you for the opportunity to voice my thoughts. This has been a great read.

Wow that was pretty good BBfan, there are more than 4 people posting. I would love to see more, who cares how small or what you really know...it's good practice. Speak up please.

LOL on a side note, many of you know that my relationship with my gmom has been strained over my beliefs and the passing of my mom and her daughter. She was ignorant, she is a sweet lady but she believes everything the gov't tells her...the world is a different place she says cause of all the crime and us young people LOL, gov't is good kinda stuff. She thinks I use my mom to promote drugs LOL, for those that don't know she had breast cancer and almost all of us know about the big C and MJ. I take it all personally, this is why I don't like cops, what are they doing? I mean in my job there are certain things I won't do, like fix printers LOL. But in all seriousness when I hear a cop talk about the MJ I get upset and I have to think some of them are not to keen on anti MJ cause they know it helps, but make a stand. Ok back on point, gmom has been mad at me for quite sometime..well she woke me up at 7am, I thought something was wrong, all she said was I'm sorry for not believeing in my grandson, I said huh...I was talking to my neighbors and they were talking about how their daughter uses it out in Oregon to help with chemo....one person at a time Mom Mom is getting an info package in the mail from your truly, she sounded excited and I feel great, but it does raise the question of why the neighbors and not your grandson LOL. BTW my gmom taught half of what I know about gardening her husband (RIP) taught me the other half, she is a good person but just ignorant and I feel that many people are like this.

People it starts with your friends and family, tell them you love them don't push but guide...i.e. the info packet I am sending is the start and I have left her with the beginnings of her education into the most wonderful plant on earth...I can't wait to talk to her more. She actually said she is proud of me for sticking by my guns even when half my family thinks I'm Satan LOL. It can work just don't force it.

Hey, I am glad to see she is coming around. Do not take it personally because sometimes people need someone from outside of their circle to bring the information to light for it to click in their head. It is not a matter of her not believing in YOU it is a matter of her needing someone that she would feel is on an adult level with her telling her the information all over again.

She has always been in a position where she was the adult and you were the child. Now that you are your own person it was most likely really hard for her to accept that fact and as a result she wasn't willing to accept what you were telling her. Top it off with all the family related stress and problems and I am sure she was more than a handful to deal with.

All that matters is that she is slowly starting to realize the truth.

pussum said:
Hey, I am glad to see she is coming around. Do not take it personally because sometimes people need someone from outside of their circle to bring the information to light for it to click in their head. It is not a matter of her not believing in YOU it is a matter of her needing someone that she would feel is on an adult level with her telling her the information all over again.

She has always been in a position where she was the adult and you were the child. Now that you are your own person it was most likely really hard for her to accept that fact and as a result she wasn't willing to accept what you were telling her. Top it off with all the family related stress and problems and I am sure she was more than a handful to deal with.

All that matters is that she is slowly starting to realize the truth.

Yeah she has had a tough road, she lost her oldest child who was still too young and her husband. She is stuck 45-60 minutes away from me, used to be 5 minutes and now she is up there alone. It is sad, when my mom was told she had it in her liver my grandmother thought she could donate her liver...it was sad, we had to explain you only have one liver blah blah blah. I think part of the problem is me, I'm one of those fiery italian types and she's my non italian gmom LOL. I take the whole thing personally hence my previous mention of hatred for the cops...I could have helped her not suffer as much but I would have broken the law and my mom wouldn't have had it, those boundaries caused my mom and many like her to really suffer.

And one thing I will never forget is those last couple of days, you know the days where they pump them so full of morphine they have no idea what is going on...why is it OK then? Like I said when it comes to my mom NOONE has the right to stop you from doing whatever it takes, these are our mothers, it ripped my heart out and definitely made me who I am today, I'm still a mammas boy. I mean c'mon most mothers give up their lives for their children, I know mine did and she did a damn good job...I lack in common sense and she knew that LOL. And my grnadmother always saiys what happened to my grnadson? Well I have an education and I'm 34 lost my whole family to the big C and watched everyone of them waste away, get the same medicines (different cancers), get the same operations, etc. and then I watched my 56 year old mother die in a nursing home feeling completely helpless I battled with her for 13 years, I'm not quite sure I know how to stop maybe that is my problem, but she was the most important person in my life...hence mt new found meaning of my life, help others and be a decent HUMAN BEING.

I had a whole huge thing typed out about modern medicine and what not, but I think, the words in that last post do not need to be followed by a rant. You paint a very sad, but beautiful picture as you, a man who has been kicked in the teeth more times than he can count, still have the courage to go out there and fight the good fight and stand firm in your beliefs while desperately trying to make the world a little bit better of a place to live in.

pussum said:
I had a whole huge thing typed out about modern medicine and what not, but I think, the words in that last post do not need to be followed by a rant. You paint a very sad, but beautiful picture as you, a man who has been kicked in the teeth more times than he can count, still have the courage to go out there and fight the good fight and stand firm in your beliefs while desperately trying to make the world a little bit better of a place to live in.

Rant all you want, mine was a rant LOL. you will not offend anyone if that is what is worrying you, thank you but it is truly how I feel if no one else will stand up for her I HAVE TO it's called being a son.

snuggles said:
Rant all you want, mine was a rant LOL. you will not offend anyone if that is what is worrying you, thank you but it is truly how I feel if no one else will stand up for her I HAVE TO it's called being a son.

No no no, I am not worried about stepping on toes or hurting feelings. I was just saying that out of respect, that post deserves to be read and absorbed. Because, even though it is a rant, it is touching and shows that we, the users of MJ, are not monsters. We are people. People with everyday lives and problems. People who know that their isn't a cure for what plagues the world, but MJ is a damn good start. That post shouldn't be followed up by a long rant where someone will have to forget what you wrote and immediately try to focus on what I was saying. Your post deserves to be read and respected.

Snuggles, I am so sorry for the pain you must have felt and still feel...how wonderful though, that this new purpose and zest for life that you have now, found its inspiration in love...

I'm sure your mother is very proud of her son...

Dadgumit said:
Snuggles, I am so sorry for the pain you must have felt and still feel...how wonderful though, that this new purpose and zest for life that you have now, found its inspiration in love...

I'm sure your mother is very proud of her son...
Her name was Gail and she was a great understanding person and she taught me so much even to this very day and she led by example. A couple weeks before she died she had a job for me, I was to find my real father and my stepfather and I was supposed to tell them about her, well they both showed up, on different days of course, she told them she loved them and all that jazz...she showed me how to let go of hatred to not complain and to be a man. My real father and I had a very short relationship (RIP) and I see my stepfather monthly now. Even in death people still teach us and we should all honor them by living our lives to the fullest, and one day we can only hope we all make this a better world, even if it means civil disobedience...it is our duty as Americans and as friends and family.

OK back on topic LOL, it's a beautiful day here and I plan to enjoy it...:D

Here is part of my research paper for school:hitchair: on the legalization of marijuana :holysheep: Studies have found that the legalization could have major economic benefits. The government would not only be saving money the money that would normally be spent on enforcement of the prohibition, which is estimated at $7.7 Billion. $5.3 billion would go to the state/local governments while $2.4 Billion would go to the federal government. Also if marijuana was placed under sales tax, it would bring in $2.4 Billion; but if it was taxed next to alcohol and tobacco, the revenue would be $6.2 Billion. Altogether taxpayers would be saving $10-$15 Billion. Not to mention the hemp industry that would open up as result of legalization. While legalization should not be based entirely on the economic benefits, there is a large enough revenue that the laws should be rethought. Along with economic benefits there are also social advantages. In a report conducted in December of 2006, it states that there are over 2.2 million people held in federal state and local prisons. In a separate study, analysts say that the legalization of marijuana would not only reduce the amount of people entering the prison system for marijuana related arrests, but would also cause the amount of violent drug related crime to decrease.

Budboy said:
Here is part of my research paper for school:hitchair: on the legalization of marijuana :holysheep: Studies have found that the legalization could have major economic benefits. The government would not only be saving money the money that would normally be spent on enforcement of the prohibition, which is estimated at $7.7 Billion. $5.3 billion would go to the state/local governments while $2.4 Billion would go to the federal government. Also if marijuana was placed under sales tax, it would bring in $2.4 Billion; but if it was taxed next to alcohol and tobacco, the revenue would be $6.2 Billion. Altogether taxpayers would be saving $10-$15 Billion. Not to mention the hemp industry that would open up as result of legalization. While legalization should not be based entirely on the economic benefits, there is a large enough revenue that the laws should be rethought. Along with economic benefits there are also social advantages. In a report conducted in December of 2006, it states that there are over 2.2 million people held in federal state and local prisons. In a separate study, analysts say that the legalization of marijuana would not only reduce the amount of people entering the prison system for marijuana related arrests, but would also cause the amount of violent drug related crime to decrease.

I hope it's for college LOL. Also ask yourself this Budboy, who makes the money off of it being illegal that is the other part of the problem. In other words who benefits and why? Good luck with that paper BTW. I miss school

snuggles said:
I hope it's for college LOL. Also ask yourself this Budboy, who makes the money off of it being illegal that is the other part of the problem. In other words who benefits and why? Good luck with that paper BTW. I miss school

Actually it was for 10th grade english a while ago. another part of my paper i didnt put, was because it is on the black market, all the money people use to buy it is drained out of the local economy taking away from people who make an honest living.

snuggles said:

I can answer this question as well, for my country, Turkey.

Nearly 80% of the population between 15 and 25 at least used Cannabis once, nearly 60% of the population between 17 and 24 is smoking on weekly basis. There is a HUGE market here and this market is led by one major hand, PKK Terorist Organisation (which USA, Germany, United Kingdom protect and sell weapons to). Death count is 30,000 which more than half of these are citisens, not soldiers.

All the money flow into terrorism, in other countries, it is divided between gangs, terrorists and mafia.

I believe, there is hope for USA, Canada and for some other first world countries. Cannabis will be decriminalised and maybe legalised in next ten years but for middle eastern countries... Major powers in the world need terrorism so it is beyond any hope.

Well, I ranted a little but lost so many people to terrorism and war... All because of politicians...

No offence and peace.

I was once asked by some TV reporters on te street - What do I think about legalization of canabis :D - The dream question :eek:
I spoke for about ten minutes telling the TV people how good and positive it can be to actually do that, a real good speach I gave... Or so I thought...
Later that same day I was on The evening news, I was given about two seconds on the drugs report, and they made me sound like a jerk who thinks weed is related to heroin :hubba:
I was so upset... It wasnt what I said at all... I was about 20 years old and will never forget this day.. It was so humiliating...
I than realized that if you own the media you can do anything... Today I still believe the only way to legalize MJ is to take control of the mainstream media, and that in my Home country of Bulgaria is owned by One single company and strictly controlled by the government... Or the leading party lets say... Though it might appear as democracy to some, Bulgaria is a long way from that in reality... People are so fed up of corrupted polititans that no one bothers voting in the first place and thats where we can beat them... If I can get enough cash for a good campain and manage to get all stoners to the polls I guess I might be able to win an election - cause yes Bulgaria is full of stoners - than get hold of the media, and after a couple of years in office make history - Legalize Marijuana :D
It could be done.. We just need a lot of cash and good campaining... And a lot more cash...
Unfortunately people who have the cash arent really interested in doing any good... They all seem to try and make it even worse for us... Its a real sad world we live in....
Time has come for revolution!!!

Latest posts

Back