Lets see LIGHTS

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mikepro88

Reaction score
I like to read alot about what you guys say, but I must say I am pretty confused. I have about 500 us bucks and I wanna start my grow. I think im pretty much set on DWC. I work in a mill so 10 gal buckets are easy to get. My question is what are you guys talking about with this light spectrum and t5s t8s t12s MH and some other names I cant think off. Im pretty sure Im gonna go with HPS bulbs for flowering since I can also get them from work :D But My question is I need a good bulb for veg. And what is this blastist you guys keep talking about. Oh lward im never gonna understand Pictures or links would be Great. Sorry if I annoy some with my Question ive been apart of this form for some time just im a visual guy :D thanks

T5's, T8's, T12's are florecent lights. bascily they are the 4foot long tube light. MH lights and HPS lights are lights commonly used in warehouses, street lights and security lights. the MH and HPS don't work like a regular house buld. meaning you can't just screw them in and they'll work. they require a ballast and socket designed just for them.. im not sure if this help but i figured i'd try. heres a link to a 400w hps

hXXp://www.insidesun.com/d116295eeaad287b4a0117b21a73a65e.item

change the XX to TT

So whats the difference between a T5 T8 and T12?
For veg outta the T's what would be best?

Hi Mike-

Flourescent tubes are sized in 1/8th inch increments. So a T8 would be 8/8ths or 1 inch diameter.

T5's will give you the best bang for your buck if that's the route you want to go. They'll give you the most usable lumens per watt. HO or High Output T5's are even better.

For vegging make sure you use bulbs rated at 5000 k (kelvin) or higher. These are often referred to "cool".

Hope this helps.

The bulb is the inexpensive part of a HPS setup. As mentioned , HPS and MH llights consist of (generally) a mogul socket with a reflector and a ballast. The cord from the bulb plugs into the ballast and the ballast plugs into the wall outlet. The wattage of ballast and bulbs MUST match.

The size light you will need is determined by the size of your grow space. You want 3000 lumens per sq ft for vegging and 5000 lumens per sq ft for flowering. You will also need a good exhaust fan. I use a 4' 4 tube T5 HO to veg my plants. This fixture puts out 20,000 lumens and uses 216 watts. I have it in a 4 x 2 x 4 space and it does a great job.

dang...my horti bulb for my 600 was 85 bux, the air cooled hood was another 85 and the digi ballast itself was 140, which was a good deal but I wish it was cheaper!!

Wow thank you guys! You really helped!! I think I get it about the t's.
So now Im gonna go look around on the internet for
"housing" for some t'5 bulbs :) You guys are great!

mikepro88 said:

:48:

mikepro88 said:

Here is the T5 I run: hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTG-Supply-4-Foot-4-Lamp-High-Output-T5-Fluorescent-Grow-Light.asp

I also have one of these: hXXp://www.htgsupply.com/Product-HTG-Supply-2-Foot-2-Lamp-PL-55-Tek-Lamp.asp

Latest posts

Back